Pilgrimage of Self

Any experience with "strict labelling meditation"? Benefits over other types?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals :)

So, I have been an avid meditator for basically 2.5 years now. Absolutely love it and am very disciplined about it. No excuses no matter what and no off days. So here is my journey with types of meditation;

For the longest time I did 21 minutes of vipassana meditation. 

Later on I added 12 minutes of kirtan kriya meditation to my 21 minute regular vipassana meditation. This lasted for about 5 or 6 months.

Now, for the last 5 months or so, been doing the "do nothing" or "focus on your breath" type of meditation while not moving at all for 31 minutes. So far, I think that my favorite is definitely the "do nothing or focus on your breath" type.

Since the past week or so, after rewatching Leo's mindfullness meditation video, decided to give the "strict labelling meditation" a go for 3 months. My question is, what are your experiences with this type of meditation? Do you believe its "more helpful" than other types for improving the quality of one's consciousness and awareness? Leo is very fond of this type of meditation.

Keep in mind that awakening and enlightenment are not my primary concerns as of now btw. They are one of my "later goals" in life. But hey, of course I wouldnt mind if I just "happen to be enlightened" one of these days by pure chance haha I wish :P

Thanks.

Btw you can't make awakening a 'goal' later in life, whether you are conscious of it are not you are the Absolute! 

But, anyway, what's your 'goals' with meditation then, that will help with people's recommendations. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

1 hour ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Btw you can't make awakening a 'goal' later in life, whether you are conscious of it are not you are the Absolute! 

But, anyway, what's your 'goals' with meditation then, that will help with people's recommendations. 

I understand what you mean... what I meant was that it is not currently "a priority" for me since Im almost 27 and havent handled any major areas of my life at all.... Still live with my mom.. im a lawyer but havent worked a day in my life and earned any money still etc.

My "goals" with meditation are to get a lot more awareness and consciousness in my everyday life.

To use that awareness ;

*To observe my thoughts and emotions and not get overwhelmed by negative emotions, especially fear and anxiety. 

*To do proper questioning of my beliefs and "rules".

*To get mystical experiences If I can and "experience" some kind of altered consciousness. During the whole time I meditated, had very few experiences where I was totally focused on my breath and had goosebumps and chills all over my back everytime I breathed. It was a different and awesome experience. Want more of that.

*To get "permanent awareness and consciousness level increases" no matter how minor. If that is even a thing.

*To discover many of my self delusions and ways I self sabotage

*To discover why I feel so numb and uninspired %99 of the time.

*To use that awareness to do all other types of personal development/inner work.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, Pilgrimage of Self said:

So, I have been an avid meditator for basically 2.5 years now. Absolutely love it and am very disciplined about it. No excuses no matter what and no off days. So here is my journey with types of meditation;

Later on I added 12 minutes of kirtan kriya meditation to my 21 minute regular vipassana meditation. This lasted for about 5 or 6 months.

Now, for the last 5 months or so, been doing the "do nothing" or "focus on your breath" type of meditation while not moving at all for 31 minutes. So far, I think that my favorite is definitely the "do nothing or focus on your breath" type.

Since the past week or so, after rewatching Leo's mindfullness meditation video, decided to give the "strict labelling meditation" a go for 3 months. My question is, what are your experiences with this type of meditation? Do you believe its "more helpful" than other types for improving the quality of one's consciousness and awareness? Leo is very fond of this type of meditation.

Keep in mind that awakening and enlightenment are not my primary concerns as of now btw. They are one of my "later goals" in life. But hey, of course I wouldnt mind if I just "happen to be enlightened" one of these days by pure chance haha I wish :P

Thanks.

The do nothing meditation combined with concentration on a particular object is what did it for me but it's purely relative.  Just meditate how it feels natural to you.   But also i would add in self inquiry.  Self inquiry is extremely powerful.   

God will reveal itself when ready but meditation will elevate consciousness levels and set the foundation.  So meditate consistently.   

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Perhaps you would benefit from reading 'The Core Teachings of the Buddha' by Daniel Ingram. It has cleared many false assumptions I have held about meditation, how to do it and what to expect.

The three trainings in Buddhism are concentration, insight and morality. You can train all those.
So in meditation it is crucial to know that you should be training either concentration or insight.
These are different techniques and very different in what they achieve.

On 09/03/2020 at 9:40 PM, Pilgrimage of Self said:

Thanks.

Firstly I should say that doing 20 minutes of meditation is not enough. It might be fine for some people, but really its not going to do much for you if you're serious about making significant lasting changes. You need to be doing at least 45 minutes. 

Second point is, different techniques work differently for different people. There isn't really a technique that is more helpful than others, because it depends largely on the individual and many other factors. Personally I use both techniques, but I generally do more active practises because I tend to fall asleep easily with techniques like Do Nothing. But Do Nothing works excellently for some people and it can be great on retreat when you just need a break but your concentration and mindfulness are very high.

Regarding the labelling technique, I have spent a lot of time doing it and researching the different variations. What Leo teaches in the video you mentioned is just one version of the labelling technique, and its very similar to what Shinzen Young teaches. But you also have people like Daniel Ingram, Kenneth Folk, and now-dead Buddhist teachers like Mahasi Sayadaw who teach labelling techniques which differ quite a lot from Shinzen Young's. Daniel Ingram is an advocate for very very fast labelling like you're 'shooting aliens' as he says in his book. Mahasi's primary technique, as far as I understand, focused primarily on noting the sensations of the breath going in and out. All valid techniques that suit different students in different ways. 

My advice is to read up on the various techniques. Daniel Ingram's book is dense and wordy but also very good. Mahasi Sayadaw's 'Practical Insight Meditation' book is also good. Or find some guided meditations. Kenneth Folk has some good beginners instructions here: https://kennethfolkdharma.com/quick-start-guide/. The most important thing is to find an accurate set of instructions for the technique, and for you to then understand the instructions and then execute them exactly as they are written. The results will follow.

Another point worth mentioning is that going on retreat and doing this technique for long periods of time is highly highly recommended. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that you will get far without going on retreat. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

I too love to meditate and find it necessary to function optimally whilst deepening my spiritual understanding. 

Whether a particular type of meditation is useful depends on your intention. I found labelling particularly helpful in calming my mind during times of mental turbulence. It assisted me to create separation between the I and my thoughts which lead to greater awareness of the makeup of my thought patterns and therefore allowed greater control over the direction of my consciousness. 

For me staying with the I prior to thoughts is more powerful in terms of empirical understanding of conscious states and bringing insights. Labelling is helpful for getting me to refocus on that I. 

On 12.03.2020 at 3:06 PM, loub said:

Perhaps you would benefit from reading 'The Core Teachings of the Buddha' by Daniel Ingram. It has cleared many false assumptions I have held about meditation, how to do it and what to expect.

Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

@Space I have been doing 31 minutes for the past 5 or 6 months but a week or so ago, decided that I would meditate for 1 hour. 30 minutes of labelling meditation + 30 minutes of focus on breath. Im gonna keep meditating for 1 hour a day for 3 months at least. See what happens. Will probably keep meditating 1 hour a day after this 3 month period ends. Want to see results.

Thanks for the names of the teachers. Bookmarked the kenneth folk link as well. Will check it out.

Doing retreats is something Im definitely interested in. Curious on the effect something like a 10 day intense meditation retreat might have on my psyche or general consciousness levels.

Edited by Pilgrimage of Self

On 3/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, Pilgrimage of Self said:

Thanks.

First of all that is awesome that you are taking the time to meditate like this - i salute you!    The do nothing method is also my favorite.  Its all i do right now.  Or I'll stare at a particular object or my hand and get in touch with actuality.  In our daily lives (in duality) we move farther and farther away from actuality and the present moment.  That is why meditating or resting in being is so great.   Self inquiry was also great for me prior to awakening.  I know you mentioned you aren't seeking anything and that's great but self inquiry is still a powerful practice to do.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.