TrustTheProcess

Ethical Passive Income

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you had any sources/ideas for ethical investing. I like the idea of having passive income streams , but do not want contribute to exploiting other people in the process. I want to invest in things that will not only get me a decent return, but would also be improving society and people's lives. 

I would appreciate the help!

Most stuff is really not going to be as passive as you think it would be. But with enough money you can get stuff to become pretty passive. Any business could become passive really. You could create something that contributes to the world in a good way, then build a system around it to make it continue working while you are not. There is a lot of ways to do that and leveraging your time with anything is going to make the income greater for the amount of work. 

Build a system that effectively makes everything you do more efficient. 

Find ways to have your action replicated without you being there. Like an employee or make something that lasts. 

The best investors are the ones who create investments themselves, look at any of the richest people in the world and almost all of them did that. 

If you are wanting to just outright invest into a company, then you are not going to have much of a choice for most of the top performers. But there is some alternatives out there. I would not invest into something solely because it is more ethical. Unfortunately, that does not always mean the best returns. While I think we are moving close to an era that has higher values, it could still be awhile before you see major companies that are highly ethical. Most of the most profitable things revolve around exploiting the earth and the people on it. But I have found some cryptocurrency  to be great in regards to ethics and stuff, but most will not produce anything passively. Although, there is a few that do actually accumulate more from "proof of stake" type models.  While I cannot really directly advise any sort of investment, I think it is best for you to research what you think contributes the most and figure out how to do that thing more ethically. Then figure out how that could be made the most profitable. 

Buying real estate to rent out for both residential and commercial properties be good. A lot of current property owners are typically greedy especially with their residential properties. When the demand goes up, they just jack up their prices and care more about their bottom line than the people in their community. You can be a more ethical and conscious property owner who raises rent reasonably and does not jack up prices just because the market is in demand. Since I live in Southern California, I have witnessed firsthand how the rental rates have gone up over 50% within the last 5 years. Homelessness is a huge problem especially here in Southern California. A lot of it has to do with lack of affordable housing.

Powered By Love

@Average Investor Checked out your youtube page.  Haven't watched any videos yet but they seem to be of value and I like the things you generally post on on the forum soo subbed ;)

@louhad Well, you could invest in companies which you feel are advancing mankind the most. Stage Green companies.

But you can't be too idealistic about it because all companies cause collateral damage. You can't run a large company without some exploitation of someone.

For example you could invest in Tesla if you think electric cars are good for mankind. But Tesla of course still exploits its workers.

One of the reasons I don't invest in stocks much any more is because its hard to find non-exploitative ones. I used to invest in oil companies and make a decent return, but can't bring myself to do that any more.

If you really don't want to exploit others, earn your money from your own creative labor, not investing.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

@Leo Gura What do you invest in now? 

any real estate properties? 

Any start ups? 

100% agree investing in yourself and your own business first and foremost is the most important thing by a mile, most of my money has been reinvested into my own business and several investment businesses.

However, in the near future I’m looking to expand further and was thinking real estate/ service accommodation, and maybe some Vanguard life strategy funds, wondered what you do. 

This is an open question to anyone with investing experience/ advice. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@louhad  Anyways, I would recommend starting your own business/ developing some skills to a high level. This skill can be marketing/ Business if you wish. 

In terms of business, online businesses are pretty easy to start if you have some spare cash, Publishing/ E-Commerce/ Social Media Marketing etc, but pick ONE business model, master it and get to 20k/ Month MINIMUM before moving onto another model. Do not develop Shiny object syndrome. Master one skill/ business model/ niche and you can reach levels you can only dream of right now. Leo is a good example, he stuck to the Self-Help/ Spirituality, focused on YouTube and then produced 2 main products- Life Purpose course& Book list, both highly related to his viewers and subscribers. 

These can eventually become passive when you hire more staff and offset the work once you have mastered the business model. 

That brings me onto passive income, it's possible but WILL TAKE WORK! 

Online Courses are the perfect example, I'm sure @Leo Gura spent 100s of hours on his LP course, and now it generates him income on a weekly basis, tbf I think he hasn't even tapped into like 50% of what he can earn from that course. If he wanted to he could set up a Webinar, Facebook/ YouTube ads, and retargeting ads and effective Email marketing, that course could change even more people's lives. I know people making 7 figures+ from 1 online course. But they spent 100s of hours creating the best product in that niche first, that should always be the focus- your customers! (P.S. Leo PM me if you wanna talk about this more, and check out Alex Becker on YT, your course needs to be infront of more eyes) 

Once you have a business/ job making you enough to live on and some, then think about Investing. But, I see so many people investing say $500 a month in stocks when if they invested that in themselves and in business they would make WAY more money long term and actually provide way more value, but that's another topic. Then looking at how you can create even more passive income through investments and investing in businesses and people etc, but invest in yourself first would be my advice. 

I've just started a new project with 2 great entrepreneurs in the publishing industry, we are looking to create the BEST books, online courses and backend offers for our customers. That is our ONLY focus, Quality >. As a result, we are much more likely to achieve our goal of 6 figure monthly profits and eventually a 7 figure sale of the company because we are solving problems in our niche and helping improve people's lives. Look at Alex Becker and Sam Ovens on YouTube, they aren't your typical stage orange materialistic YouTubers, they are your focused LP business, doing what's best for my customers kind of Entrepreneurs, 

If you're into entertainment- fiction, music, gaming etc then focus on helping people be as entertained and have as much fun as possible, it's the same mindset. 

Sorry for the rant, but I used to be a passive income 'junkie' and you can make 3,5,10k a month etc in Passive Income, but if you want to grow your income and provide value build your skills and business first, then you'll have more money to build passive income!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I think that renting houses either for living or for holidays if done right can be pretty ethical

Real estate has probably the highest ethical potential of any investment, because you have total control. If you own property directly you can fix it up and make it a beautiful place to live, and rent it for a fair price. Or do a couch surfing/Air BnB service.

Most passive income investments are you just giving your money to large companies on some sort of market for a return. Which obviously you have no say over what they do, and chances are they probably do some unethical things to get ahead like most large businesses.

It's possible to make that as ethical as possible but that will take a LOT of research on your part.

"I don't care what the people know! The world's going to end in a month or so..."

@docs20 Service Accomodation, takes a decent upfront investment though.