Rilles

Has Anyone Here Cured A Disease Using Alternative Medicine?

38 posts in this topic

@DrewNows Read my original post, I know i'm not getting cancer prescisely because i'm aware of the other half that modern medicine hasn't uncovered yet. But my only issue was with @pluto's dismissal of modern medicine. It was unnecessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I cured my alcoholism with weed. 8 years sober over here.

 

 

Arc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

Yes, I cured my alcoholism with weed. 8 years sober over here.

 

 

Arc

ah! the traditional herbal medicine! ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, Rilles said:

Acupuncture, Reiki, Moxibustion, TCM, Reflexology, Herbs

Here's a very basic fact to contemplate:

If these things did not work for some people, they would not exist.

The trick is finding out if they work for your particular problem. They may, or may not. It depends on hundreds of factors. And the only way you'll know is by testing it yourself.

Health issues can be very, very complex.


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Here's a very basic fact to contemplate:

If these things did not work for some people, they would not exist.

The trick is finding out if they work for your particular problem. They may, or may not. It depends on hundreds of factors. And the only way you'll know is by testing it yourself.

Health issues can be very, very complex.

I agree, and science doesnt believe in anecdotal evidence its impossible to talk to someone ”rational” about it.

 

”I used acupuncture to heal my migraines”

”Wheres the evidence?”

”Uh... I feel better.”

”Thats just your feelings bro, not facts, acupuncture is woo.”

”but... ah screw it”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rilles said:

I agree, and science doesnt believe in anecdotal evidence its impossible to talk to someone ”rational” about it.

 

”I used acupuncture to heal my migraines”

”Wheres the evidence?”

”Uh... I feel better.”

”Thats just your feelings bro, not facts, acupuncture is woo.”

”but... ah screw it”

It's not exactly like this, though. I mean what Leo says is right but the reason why medical science behaves like this is because it's hard to establish cause and effect, especially because of several human biases we don't know very well what did us good or right. If you keep attention people say that basically anything made them feel better in a way: some patients might even tell you "smoking a cigarette made me feel better" or some even say "drinking my own urine made me feel better" when maybe their improvement was based on a different factor. Also some diseases tend by their nature to go up and down in severity, so it's hard to figure out if it was something external that made the improvement or its just the intrinsic nature of the disease. So medical skepticism is so high.

What's true that probably acupuncture and reiki have something to it in certain kind of patients in with specific kind of diseases, cause they have been part of the human history for too long to be a total scam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rilles said:

and science doesnt believe in anecdotal evidence

Of course real science relies on anecdotal evidence all the time. That's what clinical trials are. It's just very rigorous.

But many fools have no idea how real science works.

But yet, many scientists are far too dismissive of any modality which doesn't have a simply material physical explanation. So they will accept anecdotal evidence for a new chemical drug, but they will not for something like acupuncture.


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rilles  There is a local weed around here. Folk call it "thieves weed" . If you happen to cut yourself when traveling in the woods and find one, you mash that thing with your hands and tie it on-top of the wound. It reduces the pain significantly, stops blood spillage faster and heals the wound faster. Its 3 in 1 killer combo. Free med kits all over the place, who would have thought.

Edited by Yog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

medicine of course is in itself devided - as it has many branches like a tree and a limited capacity. usually methods to save life are better researched than others - it’s like with the hierarchy of needs, survival is first anything else is practically lower magic, the highest magic is to safe lives. if there is one magic tool which solves the problem best of course you would use that in all cases. but if there is no magic tool that works you have to find one. in a lot of cases people are happy to get rid of their illnesses despite side effects - but getting healthy must come from the other side of the pyramide of needs, which means to prevent illnesses at all. a really good doc will sew up a wound and maybe then put the acupuncture needles because he knows they are different magic tools even though both needles. even though he might not put smashed weed on top - the smashed weed they always try to put that in some kind of tube to deny where medicine was coming from.

in some sense, sometimes that’s better, because of the potency - but sometimes it just means medicine is already very far away from its roots and in that has to get more flexible again. remembering all branches and the roots. that’s best if not cut for economic reasons.

medicine is not an industry, it’s first of all a craft. experimenting with it goes on some ones or some animals body usually, that’s why a good doctor takes risks but usually for life, not against. same goes for psychology. healing instead of destroying.

Edited by remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, see_on_see said:

 

touching video... :’)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course real science relies on anecdotal evidence all the time. That's what clinical trials are. It's just very rigorous.

But many fools have no idea how real science works.

But yet, many scientists are far too dismissive of any modality which doesn't have a simply material physical explanation. So they will accept anecdotal evidence for a new chemical drug, but they will not for something like acupuncture.

Science/medicine going into Stage Green and Yellow is gonna be an interesting time... Imagine 100 years from now when something like Reiki is a common practice in every hospital 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

although it gives the impression accupuncture could heal a virus - which it probably didn’t. of course in case of symptom management it did. so in case of viruses you need to come from two directions - developing a vaccination and finding solutions to ease the symptoms. if the symptoms are gone its more acceptable to live with a virus. but if the diagnosis was wrong, and if it was not a virus but the immune system, accupuncture is in that case maybe the only way to heal - you see, it’s so complex.

diagnosis comes first and then comes solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yog said:

@Rilles  There is a local weed around here. Folk call it "thieves weed" . If you happen to cut yourself when traveling in the woods and find one, you mash that thing with your hands and tie it on-top of the wound. It reduces the pain significantly, stops blood spillage faster and heals the wound faster. Its 3 in 1 killer combo. Free med kits all over the place, who would have thought.

thats exactly what struck me recently, the forest is like a giant apothecary, if you know what to look for, most of our commonly used medicines are actually extracts from plants and/or synthetic substitutions that act similarily

Edited by Rilles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remember said:

although it gives the impression accupuncture could heal a virus - which it probably didn’t. of course in case of symptom management it did. so in case of viruses you need to come from two directions - developing a vaccination and finding solutions to ease the symptoms. if the symptoms are gone its more acceptable to live with a virus. but if the diagnosis was wrong, and if it was not a virus but the immune system, accupuncture is in that case maybe the only way to heal - you see, it’s so complex.

diagnosis comes first and then comes solution.

i wouldnt suggest acupuncture for a serious virus, just as i wouldnt suggest aspirin to heal a brain tumor, it depends on what the issue is ofc

notice that a vaccine is a natural medicine btw ;]

it is complex, i love me some complexity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scientists convince themselves their method will work.

Alternative medicine practicioners convince themselves their method will work.

Only who gets cured can tell if it worked or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now