Ananta

Some of Leo's weight loss/eat healthy videos

42 posts in this topic

@LfcCharlie4 great post, thanks. I've read the whole thing and agree on most points. Let's close it here and agree to agree on most points and agree to disagree on few points :)

@Anna1 soz for hijacking the post, back to you. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Yes, thank you for a great discussion :) 

@Anna1 also, sorry! In terms of actionable steps for you in terms of fasting, I'd recommend starting at 12 hours and see how you feel. 

Like @michael569 said, focusing on eating real whole foods, getting steps in and regular exercise should be the focus. But, also making this a lifestyle NOT a diet. 

The easiest things you can do are every 25-30 mins ideally stop work and maybe walk to the coffee machine or around the office, or ideally do some burpees, jumping jacks but I get that isn't practical for most office workers. Maybe ask you employer to get some Bikes installed lol, BBC did a great study on this. 

2x 5 Minute Hot/Cold showers a day

The morning routine trynabeturquoise recommended is also great. 

To me, the most sustainable way is finding exercises and eating healthy foods you enjoy, while ideally adding little habits to turn your body into a fat burning machine. 

Here's some resources/ podcasts that could help :) 

Women are very different than men, so specific practices and research needs to be taken :) I'm currently investigating this more, as what works for me won't necessarily work for my Mum, Auntie etc. 

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-women

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/transcripts/transcript-how-to-lose-weight/

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fat-loss-articles/reasons-you-cant-lose-weight/

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fat-loss-articles/5-unhealthy-ways-lose-weight/ (summary of the best ways at the bottom) 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Michael569 @LfcCharlie4 Thanks for the replies. I don't mind, generally speaking, derailment of my own threads, lol. 

Anyways, my body is rebelling to my new diet ( no sweets or junk, portion control and eating more veggies) and the intermittent fasting. Im having headaches, occas. heartburn, GI issues, head feels funny....yeah, my bodies pissed off.

I tried 1/2 cup black coffee at work (I don't drink coffee normally) and 15 min later had chest pain so bad I wanted to call 911, because I thought I was having a heart attack (it was heartburn). 

As I said before I don't eat breakfast, except occasionally on the weekend. Its been years and years since I ate breakfast regularly, but I eat an early lunch, typically 11:30am. So, for me to intermittent fast all I have to do is cut out snacking, but late snacking was my 3rd meal I guess you could say. Although, not actually a "meal".

I'm taking bits and pieces of what everyone is saying, including Leo's vids and incorporating what will work for me, atm. Like, there is no way I can exercise right now, since I feel sorta ill. Leo said he didn't weigh him self for 2 weeks when he started, think I'll wait a week. Weigh in every weekend. In the past I liked to weigh myself too often I think.

My body is already use to fasting 12-13 hours (from the night snack to lunch), so I think I need to do the longer fast.  That's what I decided to try (for now), since it's just a few more hours then usual. 

@Dlavjr Oh, and chewed gum at work after lunch too!

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 you could do deep belly breathing, lymphatic dry skin brushing and meditation as a morning routine (meal replacement) although I know you said you don’t eat, still good to get the metabolism going 

I’ve also heard celery juice is quite powerful for getting the bowels moving in the morning and hydrating on a cellular level for easy unforced fasting.

Personally I like to juice celery with grapefruit, sometimes garlic root and cucumber all together. This morning I added apple and beet root for the first time, interesting haha 

Edited by DrewNows

10 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

I’ve also heard celery juice is quite powerful for getting the bowels moving in the morning

Hehe, no the opposite problem with GI upset from adding veggies I think.

11 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

meditation as a morning routine

I'm not a morning person. I would fall right back to sleep. I literally hit snooze for 45 min every morning. ?

I could try the belly breathing though.

I do not yet have a juicer. Sounds interesting though.

Thank you for the tips.❤

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

4 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Hehe, no the opposite problem with GI upset from adding veggies I think.

Juicing takes out the fiber, I don’t mean blending. Watched this the other day 

My prediction is the more fasting you do, the more of a morning person you may become xD

anyways yw have fun! 

@Anna1 Here's a complete fasting guide for Women by Kion, which seems reasonably balanced to me. Basically in Pre-Menopausal Women, it's a lot more complicated than in Post. Let's put it this way the 16/8 protocol most men follow/ recommend is NOT suitable advice for Women at all. I'll let you read and see what you think. 

https://getkion.com/articles/fasting-for-women-1/

https://getkion.com/articles/fasting-for-women-2/

It seems the Crescendo method (every other day) would work way better and is much more optimal for Women and ease yourself into it with 12-hour fasts. maybe gradually increase but it seems 12-14 seems the sweet spot. And, you'd do hard exercise (weight training, HIIT, long aerobic cardio) on NON fasted days, what people have recommended here works great for Men, but runs the risk of whacking your hormones out of balance and actually doing more harm than good. 

Fasting is AMAZING when done right, but simply, in Females getting it 'right' is a lot more complex than in males. And, fasting (like most things in life) isn't for everyone. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

5 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Basically in Pre-Menopausal Women, it's a lot more complicated than in Post.

Actually, I'm going through change of life. Hot flashes made me have to go on a certain low dose estrogen birth control pill and while on it I don't even have periods. Maybe had 2 or 3 in the past 1 1/2 years. Didn't think I'd be talking about this on here, but for me at least (not other females reading) you can probably relax. My reproducing years are coming to an end.

Also, I remembered that after I had my son (he's 27) I only ate one big meal a day (dinner), mostly because I didn't know what to do. I also exercised like a freak and kept that up for 5-6 months because I gained 50 lbs. I managed to lose it all and looked better afterwards, then before I got prego. Other then having symptoms when I first started I felt great. Some symptoms, even now, are from cutting out sugar and junk food I think.

Anyways, thanks for the links.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I said I wouldn't weigh in until Sunday, but couldn't resist this morning. Down 3 lbs., since the weekend. 

Probably some water weight, but somethings happening and I'm not starving myself. I'm thrilled.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Well done!!!! Just don't celebrate with a Pizza or high calorie alcohol ;) 

And, yeah from my research post M Women have an easier time fasting, mainly due to hormonal reasons. 

Also, I've just started reading this book (I'm biased to Plant-Based just to clarify) but it might be of interest to anyone here wanting to lose weight without starving themselves and improving health simultaneously :) 

I've been listening and reading a lot of 'Keto/ Paleo/ Low Carb' guys podcasts recently as I was afraid I as being too one dimensional, but it still seems to me the evidence for Whole Foods Plant Based is overwhelming. 

However, the one thing all camps agree on- Whole, Healthy Foods (Not processed or packaged ideally) in sufficient amounts, supported with a healthy, active lifestyle. Something, I haven't always done as ate WAY too much processed Vegan junk!

https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Diet-Groundbreaking-Permanent/dp/1509893067

20 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Well done!!!! Just don't celebrate with a Pizza or high calorie alcohol ;) 

Thanks, I didn't, haha

Someone brought in cupcakes to work today and left them out on our main table all damn day long. 

I didn't touch them, but damn, I love pastries, hehe

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Today is one week. My official weigh in and I lost 4 1/2 lbs this week. I'm sure you can't lose more then 3 lbs fat, so the rest must be water?? I was successful at cutting out sweets and junk for the most part, etc. 

This IF is super easy and once I got over being ill from the diet change it's been all good. I'd say I eat 1/2 normal foods and 1/2 salads and other veggies. I try to eat them together at my 2 meals. Also, portion control of course with my normal foods.

Thanks for the help and motivation everyone!?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

12 hours ago, Anna1 said:

Today is one week. My official weigh in and I lost 4 1/2 lbs this week. I'm sure you can't lose more then 3 lbs fat, so the rest must be water?? I was successful at cutting out sweets and junk for the most part, etc. 

This IF is super easy and once I got over being ill from the diet change it's been all good. I'd say I eat 1/2 normal foods and 1/2 salads and other veggies. I try to eat them together at my 2 meals. Also, portion control of course with my normal foods.

Thanks for the help and motivation everyone!?

Congratulations! Some of it might be water weight, but your body sheds the most fat when you first start a diet or start exercising just because you made an abrupt change. When I initially started losing weight I went from 225 to 198 in 6 months, but it took me a year to get down to 175. A couple years later, I'm now 150. That's not without my fair share of hiccups though, which is bound to happen, you won't stay perfect all the time but as long as you keep yourself oriented on your goals and get back on track asap, you'll be fine. 

@Dlavjr Congrats BTW, people don't realize how hard it is to lose weight since food companies are literally using mass marketing and manipulation to drive higher profits on the most processed and unhealthiest foods, not just sheer willpower or self discipline. 

It's literally like giving everyone Heroin, advertising it everywhere and making it incredibly easy to access, then claiming it's the individuals fault for getting addicted, but by telling everyone it's the individuals fault they can keep up the mass marketing and billion dollar profits 

4 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Dlavjr Congrats BTW, people don't realize how hard it is to lose weight since food companies are literally using mass marketing and manipulation to drive higher profits on the most processed and unhealthiest foods, not just sheer willpower or self discipline. 

It's literally like giving everyone Heroin, advertising it everywhere and making it incredibly easy to access, then claiming it's the individuals fault for getting addicted, but by telling everyone it's the individuals fault they can keep up the mass marketing and billion dollar profits 

Tobacco companies pretty much did exactly that for years. Addiction = profit. Health has been getting pushed but not enough to where it's affordable for everyone, lower class families end up feeding their kids crap food out of convenience and because it's just cheaper. Not to mention most cultures have the mindset of stuffing yourself being equal to being well fed, and being lean is equal to being scrawny. I still have a bit of a gut and plenty of fat to lose but people like to poke fun at me by calling me skinny and scrawny, and my family tells me that I need to eat more and I look like I'm starving myself. 

It's gonna take a long time before people are ready to accept that eating shouldn't be put on such a massive pedestal the way it is. 

20 hours ago, Dlavjr said:

Congratulations! Some of it might be water weight, but your body sheds the most fat when you first start a diet

Thanks?

Oh, I didn't know that! 

20 hours ago, Dlavjr said:

When I initially started losing weight I went from 225 to 198 in 6 months, but it took me a year to get down to 175. A couple years later, I'm now 150.

Wow, you've lost a lot of weight! Good for you. Did you exercise to or mainly diet? Sorry if you said that already.

15 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

people don't realize how hard it is to lose weight

If ppl have ever tried to lose more then 5-10 lbs, then I'm sure they realise it's hard, its damn hard! It's hard to get started with something that will actually be effective, then stay with it.

9 hours ago, Dlavjr said:

It's gonna take a long time before people are ready to accept that eating shouldn't be put on such a massive pedestal the way it is. 

Yes! It's a mind set and ppl still addicted to the goodies don't like to see ppl that aren't also indulging. Same with smokers, last thing you want as a smoker is for your smoking buddy to quit the cigs. Btw, I quit cigs/vaping 3 1/2 years ago. It was a life long battle.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

5 hours ago, Anna1 said:

Wow, you've lost a lot of weight! Good for you. Did you exercise to or mainly diet? Sorry if you said that already.

I did mainly exercise, once I started getting into the gym I got addicted to it, and now I feel terrible if I go more than a week without going. My gym addiction is what balanced out my constant diet relapsing tbph ? I have my diet way more under control now but for a while I'd spend 3 months eating great and then a month of eating like shit, so it made my journey far longer than it had to be. 

5 hours ago, Anna1 said:

Yes! It's a mind set and ppl still addicted to the goodies don't like to see ppl that aren't also indulging. Same with smokers, last thing you want as a smoker is for your smoking buddy to quit the cigs. Btw, I quit cigs/vaping 3 1/2 years ago. It was a life long battle.

Agree 100%, I try to eat before I go to hang out with anybody because I know most of my peers aren't concerned with eating healthy. Cigs/vaping is my current battle. I'm at the point where I can avoid buying them but I can't help take them when offered to me. The worst part about my smoking addiction is for a while I tried to justify it by saying it helped me avoid overeating (which was a lie). 

The addicted mind is extremely deceiptful and tricky, it certainly takes incredible amounts of patience to rewire your habits and drop your attachments. 

@Anna1  great post  :)  

Anna said- "Actually, I order my groceries online and pick them up the next day. Its fabulous! But, I have to order some snacks, because I don't live alone, but I did order some healthy foods too."

l notice ppl that are skinny do not focus their attention on food so l would look into the emotional need.

So, pay close attention to the 'one' that pays attention.

I just wrote a post and lost it, argggg!

21 hours ago, Dlavjr said:

I did mainly exercise

That's great! Wish I liked exercise, lol. When I lose a bit more I'm going to start.

Eating before seeing your friends is a really good idea! This way if there are unhealthy foods there you won't be able to eat much of it, lol. 

21 hours ago, Dlavjr said:

The addicted mind is extremely deceiptful and tricky, it certainly takes incredible amounts of patience to rewire your habits and drop your attachments. 

Yes, quiting smoking/vaping cold turkey and never, ever having one puff  again since is what has made me be able to quit. I was a smoker/vaper for many, many years and I loved it or thought I did, so it was painful to quit. To this day, I occasionally wish I could smoke or vape.

20 hours ago, pink said:

@Anna1  great post  :)  

Thank you!:) The thread has had some great feedback from ppl !

20 hours ago, pink said:

I notice ppl that are skinny do not focus their attention on food so l would look into the emotional need.

Yes, one reason I'm really liking this intermittent fasting is that between lunch and dinner I don't typically eat, then after dinner I'm done eating.

So, I don't have time for emotional eating anymore, which use to be in the evenings before bed. If I do that I break my fast and I don't want to do that.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 hour ago, Anna1 said:

That's great! Wish I liked exercise, lol. When I lose a bit more I'm going to start.

Keep in mind that if you're starting from not exercising at all, any type of exercise will benefit you greatly. It's just like when I started losing weight, I was still eating like absolute shit, but by simple cutting out fast food and soda, I lose 20 pounds in a very short amount of time, just because for me personally that was a huge change at the time. Start with some brisk walks, or maybe some at home yoga. Especially if you work an office job and your body isn't used to much stretching, a little goes a very long way.