StarStruck

System for watched videos

12 posts in this topic

I’m following couple of YouTube channels on self development. I have a hard time categorizing my notes and keeping track of which videos I watched and which not.
Most don’t have a signature like an episode number. I don’t want to rewatch videos because of opportunity costs. I was thinking about creating a system based on date of upload + name of the video and keeping track in excel. Do you guys do something similar to this? There are so many videos. It is easy to lose track. 

When I´m researching and studying I keep certain things in mind that kind of take care of the problem

1. the 80/20 - it isn´t necessary to whatch all the videos. Often times the videos cross-reference each other, because of that you pretty much absorbed all main ideas of this channel by watching only a fraction or half of the videos

2.  You´re only partially receptive. Not all information is currently useful in your given circumstance - In practice this means, that you first become conscious of what your goal is or for which topics you´re currently receptive. Then you skim the video libary and sort the videos, which are currently of interest for you. This is your primary study list. While you´re skimming the video libary you´re also looking for topics, that might be influencial if you watch them under a different circumstance.
To be more specific: you want to study a channel which has high-quality information about the brain, but like all channels they have a potpourri of videos about all kinds of topics (like economics, fitness). So what you do is to sort out all the important videos about the brain (your primary study list) then you reference all the different videos about economics or fittnes to the appropriate topic in your OneNote-Notebook

3. Well the third thing just slipped off my mind haha O.o

Hope this helps :D

On 8.2.2020 at 7:37 PM, StarStruck said:

I don’t want to rewatch videos because of opportunity costs

Also keep in mind that you have to rewatch certain videos over and over again. More specifically you want to rewatch them again and again to get all the juice from this particular video.
If you feel that you lose time when you´re reviewing some materials then maybe you´re probably not studying the right material or no high-quality material.

You can download videos and sort them into two folders, New and Watched.

There are probably also plugins for your web browser that let you add notes to a URL.

Or you could even bookmark every watched video into its own Watched folder.

You will need to watch my videos many times over to grasp them. If only it was as easy as watching them once.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

53 minutes ago, Calcifer said:

Also keep in mind that you have to rewatch certain videos over and over again. More specifically you want to rewatch them again and again to get all the juice from this particular video.
If you feel that you lose time when you´re reviewing some materials then maybe you´re probably not studying the right material or no high-quality material.

Most content on youtube channels are just rehashes of the same stuff. I'm not talking about Actualized org fyi. I still haven't connected the dots so I need to rewatch some stuff. And actualized has a video directory on actualized.org which is easily copied.  I'm talking about more easy to grasp content from other youtube channels. Just going to make an excel sheet with url and date I think. It has to be chronological otherwise it is useless.

I’m using this right now:

https://www.actualized.org/articles/

I made my own index in OneNote and make notes accordingly to these sections  

It is useful however sometimes I come across a video (on YouTube or this forum) and I don’t know in which section it belongs.  

Is there a way to look it up? The search function doesn’t seem to give the info about in which sub section the video is listed in. 

On 2/8/2020 at 8:37 PM, StarStruck said:

I’m following couple of YouTube channels on self development. I have a hard time categorizing my notes and keeping track of which videos I watched and which not.
Most don’t have a signature like an episode number. I don’t want to rewatch videos because of opportunity costs. I was thinking about creating a system based on date of upload + name of the video and keeping track in excel. Do you guys do something similar to this? There are so many videos. It is easy to lose track. 

My method does not work if you want to keep your notes attached to the information, but I keep track what YouTube videos I have watched by looking at the bottom of the thumbnail: there's red bar which shows how much I have watched. For example, I attached image, which shows that I have already watched How fear works and the power of Letting Go, but shamanic breathing technique is still waiting.

videos watched unwatched.png

The red bar at the bottom of YouTube video will go missing sometimes.

Just Like the actualized videos you watch ;)

Edited by Pacific Sage

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

@StarStruck You most probably take also take some notes on videos, I assume? I also use Evernote which allows me to store source, video name, creation date and URL (Uniform Resource Locator) and within which I can easily see which videos I already took notes on. If you want to use MS Excel, I would suggest storing by Name and URL. Looks sth. like this:

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.44.58.png

Edited by GrowthPilgrim