StarStruck

People’s reaction to not having a job

13 posts in this topic

I noticed people give you that thousand mile stare at you. I guess trying to figure out what is going on. It really starting to get on my nerves. Recently I started uni and most people have jobs because it is just 1 day per week attendance. 

My plan was to not have a job for the coming year so I can go balls deep into spirituality, read a lots of books, do a lot of contemplation and meditation but I’m having doubts now.

I think I can live with the reactions of other people but how will it look on my cv? I’m in IT by the way. I’m meeting new people and they ask what I do. When I just tell the honest answer people who are within the matrix (aka batteries of the system) just don’t respond well. Should I perhaps lie and say I have some job I don’t have?

There is no point in lying about it. I would just say that your are pursing your degree. I don't see any reason to add anything more or less to it. If someone wants to dig deeper you can just say that you are in the practice of discovering yourself as well. 

The real question to ask yourself is... Why do other people's opinions of me bother me so much?

Make a decision...then decide its the best decision you have ever made.  Do you find yourself needing to explain yourself constantly?  If you do, drop that, other people's opinions of you / what you are doing, really are none of your business.

All that being said, the reason they look at you funny is it goes against their belief system.  We were raised to "get a job".. it's been programmed into us since early childhood.  I encourage you to continue to explore spirituality and work on yourself.  The earlier you do, the better the rest of your life can be.  Perhaps you also hold that belief, which is causing you the inner turmoil in the first place.

Anyway, these are just ideas...I would not focus on other people's opinions and reactions of what I am doing, and focus on my path and what I need to do.

Peace and Love,

Robert

I guess in their head they question things like, "How do you get money to Survive?" "What are you doing with your time instead?" "Is this person lazy or unmotivated?" "Are they spoiled and don't want to work?" 

It is not normal for someone to not have a job in the 21st century. And when I think of someone who doesn't work, I think the thoughts above. If my thoughts don't bother you or make you feel insecure for the life that you are choosing to live, then continue doing you, enjoy and awake.

But if you do feel some reaction to the questions, then you need to change it. Maybe you don't feel good about telling people that you don't have a job because the real reason is that you are using other peoples money to survive. Milking someone for their time and energy so you can keep yours. 

I don't know you, so maybe you are just accepting to get into debt to discover truth, which is a beautiful action. But having a job, even for one day a week is healthy and good. To experience the working world and get out of your comfort zone is all part of growing yourself into the person that you want to be. It helps you build a backbone and gives you confidence. 

Peace & Love to your Soul :)

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

@StarStruck People are probably more confused by wondering how you financially support yourself without said job, than actually being confused why you don't have a job.  

Perhaps I will say I found a parttime job because for them to understand my position I will have to open up too much (which makes me uncomfortable). I thought about it and the reason why the awkwardness is there is because there is an elephant in the room and I don’t address it. My wrong assumption was that people wouldn’t go into my private shit but most people get weirded out or engage/ask to find out more about my situation. 
i have two options: 

1. Invent a job that I don’t have. (I don’t like this option since it hurts my integrity)

2. Tell the truth which is that I’m focusing on trauma healing, self development, reading books, doing research, learning programming

Second option is just too much information.

@StarStruck I have flat out just not answered people, when they have mentioned stuff trying to poke at what I do for a living. It really all depends on who is asking you the question. 

I would recommend you watch Leo's video on how to not give a fuck what people think. It really helped me break past that more. I still have more levels to go though. 

Most people have the mindset of needing to do some sort of low-grade, useless job just to be "employed" otherwise they feel worthless. It is a learned sheep-behaviour pattern. While it is necessary to have an income and be self-reliant it is equally important not to end up in some sort of corporate trap just because you are scared of finding what you are passionate about. 

So don't listen too much to this sort of scaremongering but also make sure you don't use self-deception and poor excuses to be lazy. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

16 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Perhaps I will say I found a parttime job because for them to understand my position I will have to open up too much (which makes me uncomfortable). I thought about it and the reason why the awkwardness is there is because there is an elephant in the room and I don’t address it. My wrong assumption was that people wouldn’t go into my private shit but most people get weirded out or engage/ask to find out more about my situation. 
i have two options: 

1. Invent a job that I don’t have. (I don’t like this option since it hurts my integrity)

2. Tell the truth which is that I’m focusing on trauma healing, self development, reading books, doing research, learning programming

Second option is just too much information.

Starstruck,

I know it is uncomfortable, but my opinion..is that if you ever want to really to make progress in your healing / spiritual journey (whatever you define that as) is #2.  There is no growth without vulnerability and pain.  Also what Average Investor says here is important:

15 hours ago, Average Investor said:

I would recommend you watch Leo's video on how to not give a fuck what people think. It really helped me break past that more. I still have more levels to go though. 

If I were you (which I'm not...but...) If I were you I would ignore what everyone else is currently saying at go watch that video.  Look people have opinions, we can sit here all day long speculating about why other people react how they do, or what they may say...or what the weather will be tomorrow, but those are all assumptions.  Cut out all that "wondering" crap and go watch that video so you can find yourself in a place to make POWERFUL decisions.

Other people's opinions of you, and what you are doing, are so completely irrelevant and totally unimportant to your current situation.

I Support you in whatever decision you make, I'm glad you are here trying to get some answers.

Peace and Love,

Robert

@StarStruck Doesn't matter what people think. How are you going to revolutionise the world if you care about people staring at you? You think watching people's reaction of you not having a job is bad, wait till you become a spiritual teacher, where not only you don't have a job, but you don't have an ego or physical world as well hahahahaha.

I think you need a job to be independent of your parents. But if you can be independent without a job, my god that's a great place to be! Go do spiritual courses, self study, etc! That's an amazing place to be!

On 2020-02-06 at 6:04 PM, StarStruck said:

I noticed people give you that thousand mile stare at you. I guess trying to figure out what is going on. It really starting to get on my nerves. Recently I started uni and most people have jobs because it is just 1 day per week attendance. 

My plan was to not have a job for the coming year so I can go balls deep into spirituality, read a lots of books, do a lot of contemplation and meditation but I’m having doubts now.

I think I can live with the reactions of other people but how will it look on my cv? I’m in IT by the way. I’m meeting new people and they ask what I do. When I just tell the honest answer people who are within the matrix (aka batteries of the system) just don’t respond well. Should I perhaps lie and say I have some job I don’t have?

why dive deep into spirituality for a year only to lie about employment? Always live your truth.

@Meetjoeblack just say you are taking a sabbatical year to do personal work, that have been saving some money to do it. And if they keep asking tell them more specific detail. You need to feel confortable being weird, all of us feel the same. 

8 hours ago, Johnny5 said:

Because the world is a pit of snakes, weasels and dodo's.

You can't be honest with people, you can only be pragmatic.

If you need an income and the fucker won't hire you if you tell them about your spiritual journey, then don't be stupid. Lie.

Nobody likes honest people, and the world runs on likes.

It is also what vibe you radiate when talking about it but I agree with what you said in general lines.

Yea, "Just be honest"... Good luck with that in the real world. Perhaps if you have your business like Leo then you can.

At the work place and other social places you are just going to be singled out if you act like that. Compromising on honesty/integrity for privacy is a necessity.

I'm probably going to say that I'm going to learn more programming, which is partly true and not a lie.