Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spaceofawareness

Trying to observe the observer

54 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Spaceofawareness said:

Thanks for this, it helps, although it is conceptual it still gave me a little more understanding of where I am at, which it seems is stuck in some reflection of awareness. It seems I need to focus more on awareness itself, or the nondual nature of objects.

Your welcome. All language is conceptual. The reflection of awareness is anything phenomenal, anything other then pure awareness. I recommend Self- inquiry to go beyond that which is an object, including the mind itself.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

What is it that knows the observer is watching the observer?

8 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

What is it that knows the observer is watching the observer?

Yes, that is what initially made me doubt that this observer is the one behind it all, more so my query was, I am aware that the observer is observing, what is it that is aware of this? Obviously it is awareness itself, but I still need to see this directly, to see that the observer is also an image appearing in awareness. There is some boundary which has been formed.

I listened to a talk by Krishnamurti recently, where he was talking about the observer, which sees itself as a central point, around which a circumference of space can occur, and it looks through this space at objects, separate from them. This is the problem, this separateness. It is shown to be an illusion, and I know this conceptually, but not experientially. What I need to do is see directly there is no central locus of awareness, no separation between observation and observed. 

@Spaceofawareness   It is what remains after the cessation of the observer.

The grand observer has eyes but no face. No identity.

20 minutes ago, Spaceofawareness said:

I am aware that the observer is observing, what is it that is aware of this? Obviously it is awareness itself, but I still need to see this directly, to see that the observer is also an image appearing in awareness.

Hate to be corny, but it is grace that allows this, imo, but Self-inquiry is what I recommend always and contemplate, "Can the seer be seen?"

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Why did you wrote it before me! :D 

I was going home thinking about replying how it is simply nonsense that you can observe observer and there are already 2 comments.

7 hours ago, Anna1 said:

Hate to be corny, but it is grace that allows this, imo, but Self-inquiry is what I recommend always and contemplate, "Can the seer be seen?"

Of course you are correct, I know this can’t be forced. It was sheer happenstance that I was able to discover this observer state, I did not learn it. I’m not that familiar with any formal methods of self enquiry, though I know I have been doing it so far, as that is how the observer state arose initially, by questioning who this internal voice belonged to, it seemed not to be “my” voice. This may have been an error to think so, as obviously I assume there to be an I by saying such things, but it was the way it felt experientially.

The whole 'eye can't see itself' framing of the 'observe the observer' only makes sense to people who haven't realized that their own self conscious is a manifest example of 'the eye seeing itself' without them having to do anything to achieve it... it's just happens naturally.

All of manifest existence is driven by self survival which is proving it's conscious of it's own existence even on the most primordial level. The 'eye can't see itself' perspective is born out of the illusion of separation the physical world appears to us as but isn't reflective of the genuine nature of oneness.

Edited by SOUL

On 1/30/2020 at 1:33 AM, Serotoninluv said:

STRANGELOOP_Capture d’écran 2019-09-06 à 18.50.36.png

Isn't this experience agitating and annoying? Isn't this just layering of meta-thoughts in your short-term memory and that itself is a thought? I have this thinking process quite often (thinking about my thinking about my thinking and so on...) and I'm annoyed by this experience as It confuses me.

In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking "well this stuff about short-term memory itself is a thought" and then "well this thought about short term memory being a thought is itself another thought" and the chain goes until I lose track of what I was thinking about. It exhausts me Hehe. 

What is your take on this? Is this spiritual development? Is this what "self-awareness" is? Or is this self-conscious/insecure behavior?

Edited by UnconsciousHuman

Look inside your soul, maybe you'll find gold there and get rich.

9 hours ago, silene said:

I found this to be a helpful article which came at a time I started working on the observer/observed duality. 
https://www.scienceandnonduality.com/article/escaping-the-observer-trap

I still find my mind flipping between different states, the work is ongoing ... 

thanks silene, I’ve come across this article before, at first I was a bit put off from reading this, as I felt I had gone down the wrong path, but then I came to think it is just a different way towards the same destination. The challenge for us is to see through this self created observer into the real truth of oneness and universality.

12 hours ago, UnconsciousHuman said:

Isn't this experience agitating and annoying? Isn't this just layering of meta-thoughts in your short-term memory and that itself is a thought? I have this thinking process quite often (thinking about my thinking about my thinking and so on...) and I'm annoyed by this experience as It confuses me.

In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking "well this stuff about short-term memory itself is a thought" and then "well this thought about short term memory being a thought is itself another thought" and the chain goes until I lose track of what I was thinking about. It exhausts me Hehe. 

What is your take on this? Is this spiritual development? Is this what "self-awareness" is? Or is this self-conscious/insecure behavior?

It’s an aspect of nonduality/infinity/strange loops. All thought/imagery is eventually circular.

To me, it’s only annoying when my mind is attached to it and does some weird ocd thing. Yet is usually a sign that the mind is still trying to control the narrative. A loop of that’s a thought and that’s a thought of a thought etc”sounds like a mind working through the illusory nature of thought, yet still wants to ground itself in thoughts as real. My mind usually takes it to Infinty/Nothing/Emptiness Poof!!