Expert psychologist

Are psychedelics potentially addictive

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, can anyone generously give me a list of psychedelics which can be potentially addictive to avoid so I don't have to worry about stumbling on one and getting chronically affected?

Psychedelics have a low addiction profile. They are sometimes used to help cure addictions.  I would use a standard psychedelic like lsd or shrooms. I would be more concerned about dosage, setting and mindset than addiction. 

I generally need quite a bit of time after a trip to integrate what I've learned.  

Any of them can become an addiction if you don't like your current reality and find a way to use them for escaping your everyday reality. That being said, psychedelics that have empathogen qualities such as MDMA or the 2c-x compounds probably have more potential for addiction than traditional psychedelics like dmt, psilocybin and lsd.

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Everything can become addictive mentally. But chemically the ones you Wana be careful with are Mdma and ket. They aren't really psychedelics

Im getting to the point where I have to almost make myself trip... sometimes it’s hard going so deep into the mind’s fears and the shadow side of humanity ? Doesn’t feel addictive but Im only using shrooms and lsd 

Stay away from the dissociatives like ketamine and PCP, which people sometimes confuse with psychedelics. 

MDMA can become a bit habit-forming and isnt' healthy to take all the time, so you can avoid that too.

The classic psychedelics like LSD, mushrooms and so on are anti-addictive. You'll probably find yourself ditching all kinds of addictive habits and behaviours when you take them.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Dissociatives (Ketamine, PCP, DXM, MXE etc) are psychologically addictive for many users and clearly problematic for some. They are however profoundly psychedelic and can provide insights which make the usual agents (LSD, psilocybin, mescaline) seem positively 2-dimensional.

This does not alter the observation that with considered conscious use they can allow one to deconstruct aspects of the self in a fashion closer to 5 MeO DMT than the more standard compounds. They are just another valuable tool the use of which requires wisdom on the part of the user.