actualizing25

Pursuing awakening as a way out?

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, can you get enlightened/awakened, if you pursue it as a way out. You pursue it because you want to end your suffering and your struggles you have in this limited kind of life. So is it possible to reach full enlightenment even when you are not interested in truth, but rather want to live unconditionally happy and you have enough of this material life and because of that you pursue it? So its a more egoic and shallow kind of approach towards the ultimate goal of liberation/awakening.

thanks guys

I hope Leo will give me an answer aswell :)

I think that's how a lot of people, including myself 3 years ago, begin the journey: with a deep dissatisfaction with life, or suffering. How attractive a life of not suffering would be!

However, with experience, insights and spiritual practice, the motivation gradually changes. Now, the most important thing to me is knowing who I actually am, for Truth's sake.

Edited by Jkhv1

@Jkhv1

18 minutes ago, Jkhv1 said:

I think that's how a lot of people, including myself 3 years ago, begin the journey: with a deep dissatisfaction with life, or suffering. How attractive a life of not suffering would be!

However, with experience, insights and spiritual practice, the motivation gradually changes. Now, the most important thing to me is knowing who I actually am, for Truth's sake.

Same. It's the old story of the man who went in search for truth to heal himself but discovered something greater than himself and becomes humbled by what he discovers.

Dr Strange went to heal his hands, I went to heal my mind. And boom, we're both wizards now lol@actualizing25

Don't pursue it as a way out, you will regret coz it might lead to huge problems with perception. Your perception can get twisted because of all the meditative practices you are about to do. I recommend you to follow Islamic path instead of chasing awakening. But it requires intellectual and physical will. 

@actualizing25 I'm speaking from my own experience, but from what I've seen and read, it is a common thing to initially seek to end suffering, and then realise that there's so much more than just your ego's needs