PenguinPablo

Need help brainstorming on what I could do right now to improve my social anxiety...

28 posts in this topic

@JonasVE12 that is very good advice. This is the type of stuff I was looking for

@Arzola yes either LSD or psilocybin.

@JunkyJu funnily enough, I tried that already for this very reason. It’s quite brutal at first so but I bet it would work long term if i would have stayed longer. School got in the way and I’m not welcome back, oh well, lol.

Edited by PenguinPablo

Ive had social anxiety. Went to a therapist too. Cbt and what not. All of it is bullshit. You can bullshit yourself all the way its not going to make a difference unless you feel it from the inside. Try meditation and yoga from a real guru. And go vegan. Trust me it will change your life

1. Do what you fear, over and over again.  Something like joining Toastmasters.

2. Journaling - write down your limiting beliefs in 3rd person.  You are not this socially anxious character so start seeing a separation between you and it.  As you become more aware of this character, you will recognize that it's just an identity from your past that no longer serves you today. It will fade to the background over time as your awareness increases.

3. Do not resist uncomfortable feelings.  Practice letting go in tense situations.  Make room for the feeling.  It's just energy.  The thing that makes you anxious is more your thoughts and the story attached to the feeling.  Minus the story and the feeling isn't bad at all.  So stop resisting and allow the feeling, and don't label or judge it.  It will lose it's power.

Easier said than done, but could you enjoy the fear? Become conscious that you’re creating the emotion —emotions are created by us, they don’t “fall” on us by circumstances. Notice that it serves a purpose.  Contemplate fear instead of avoiding it. What is it? It’s an experience, like being bored. Or when you feel boredom. Separating the emotion from yourself in this way helps us realize that it’s not us. It’s external to you, like having blue hair — as much as you dislike it, it’s not really you.

Fear components:

1. Relative to the future: can’t experience it if you live in the present (not creating a possibility of a future)
  2. Holding a concept of an experience you’re unwilling to go through (stop creating the concept or be willing to experience it)
  3. The experience you’re unwilling to go through happening in the future

So practice, do it anyways, and contemplate it. ;) 

Edited by Arzola

On 04/01/2020 at 10:10 PM, Arzola said:

Easier said than done, but could you enjoy the fear? Become conscious that you’re creating the emotion —emotions are created by us, they don’t “fall” on us by circumstances. Notice that it serves a purpose.  Contemplate fear instead of avoiding it. What is it? It’s an experience, like being bored. Or when you feel boredom. Separating the emotion from yourself in this way helps us realize that it’s not us. It’s external to you, like having blue hair — as much as you dislike it, it’s not really you.

Fear components:

1. Relative to the future: can’t experience it if you live in the present (not creating a possibility of a future)
  2. Holding a concept of an experience you’re unwilling to go through (stop creating the concept or be willing to experience it)
  3. The experience you’re unwilling to go through happening in the future

So practice, do it anyways, and contemplate it. ;) 

Funny man Russell Brand says, the future is now only later. 

Hey, I think this video sums up the most important advice in terms of moving forward day by day: 

Some high yield action steps in my own experience:

1. Improv Theatre, (huge)

2. Going out with friends

3. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

4. Visualization

5. Moving in to a collective with good vibes

Also make a clear, concrete vision of what you are really trying to achieve. If you have clear intent and do 2-3 of the above, (or other action steps that you come up with yourself) your social skills will skyrocket. 

Also don’t be afraid to look for new social circles - a fresh start without the limited old role you used to play. 

GL HF Im trying to perfect this myself atm.