Mada_

I backslid all the way back

8 posts in this topic

I've backslid a lot but never this bad. Yesterday I went back on all of my habits. Today binge watching netflix for the first time in like a year. 

Is it likely that I will do a full 1.80 if I implement them all back at once?

1 hour ago, Mada_ said:

I've backslid a lot but never this bad. Yesterday I went back on all of my habits. Today binge watching netflix for the first time in like a year. 

Is it likely that I will do a full 1.80 if I implement them all back at once?

If netflix all day is the worst of your backslide, you've got nothing to worry about.  Enjoy the show, get back to your practice incrementally.  Don't shame, blame and worry you messed something up.  Its all done at this moment.  No need to repeat worries in your head or make meaning out of why or what happened.

@Mada_ the problem with these habits is that time past flyng like nothing. Makes you feel wasted. 

If your cutting things out of your life because that's what you think your supposed to do/you were told to do 

Because enlightened people live a simple life of quiet meditation and contemplation or something along those lines and so you start cutting out the standard regular people things like movies/tech but it's like trying to quit smoking or some other kind of addiction then not only are you doing it for the wrong reasons but your 99% eventually going to fail and go back to doing them. The "awakened " people that everyone try's to model that live lives so different then the normal American person does so because naturally they lost the desire for those things and naturally they faded out of there daily life and so they dont live a life of chastisement and self-control like most assume they do instead they live a satisfying naturally Simple Life

That kept reoccurring in my case for years. It always seemed as if I changed nothing, but it is part of the purification. Keep on. Repeat. 

In the process you will slowly drop the evaluation of your growth through habits and it becomes an experience. It's literally piecing yourself back together. 

@Mada_ 

It's normal to catastrophize when you have a little "relapse".

But it's ok, don't give up.

Resist the temptation to catastrophize by putting your experience into perspective.

Remind yourself that:

1. backsliding will be inevitable and that everyone does so from time to time; it’s no big deal.

2. just because you do it one day doesn’t mean you’ll be doing it every day, every week.

3. Progress is not linear, it's a fluctuating organic line. It's not a race, take your time.

4. Embrace Imperfection, nobody said you had to be perfect at this, practice self-compassion.

Put a stop to this type of distorted thinking by first becoming aware of it.

Sometimes I even say to myself: “Stop! You’re going down that catastrophizing road again, and it’s only going to make an unpleasant situation worse.”

Gently saying, “Stop!” like this can interrupt your tendency to start spinning those worst-case scenarios.

You're doing great, you'll get back on track, you haven't lost anything. Keep on going. :)

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

:)  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins