laurel

trying to understand emotions

11 posts in this topic

How do fear and anger relate? How are they distinct from one another? I know that gratitude overcomes fear and understanding overcomes anger but isn't the reverse true as well? 

If all fear is gone, then only love is left. If all anger is gone, then only love is left as well? 

@laurel

In my experience, the absence of anger comes in the form of stillness/peace of mind.

The most important thing to notice, though, is that most emotions are due to having an ego/identity. Without the identity, there's no fear, and no anger, there's not even stillness or peace of mind because there is no mind to being with.

But, it's not possible to keep living without an identity, and therefore I think it's okay to have an ego. However, there are orders of egoic structures, and the more aware the ego is, the higher its structure becomes, and the happier/most fulfilled it gets.

Words are just constructed by man. So it doesn't really matter what is the difference between anger and fear or whether there is any overlap in my opinion (imo).

The opposite of fear imo is faith. For example, you have the fear of height. Now you are standing on a building developed by well known and safe developer. So now you have more faith and is no longer that afraid of the height when on a higher level.

The opposite of anger is peace of mind/a sense of joy and maybe you will emit out love as well.

There's something called a 'Theory of 5 whys' that a lot of businesses use to brainstorm. I use it o brainstorm my emotions. 

Here's how: Ask why at least 5 times or until you get to the root of your emotion. And be completely honest about it.

Example: I'm angry at my client. 

Why? (1)

Because they expect me to be available at all times and everything is an urgency.

Why (2) do they expect me to be available at all times and why is everything an urgency?

Because I am always available to them and if they call me on a Sunday morning, I'd say I'd do whatever they ask me to do.

Why (3) am I always available to them and why do I always do whatever they ask me to do?

Because I want them to pay me and like me. 

Why(4) do I want them to pay me and like me?

Because I need money and I'm afraid they'd not recommend me to others if I don't do as they say.

Why (5) do I need money and why am I afraid of them not recommending me to others?

Because I feel I won't have enough to survive and will have no support system in future and I do not think my work is good enough.

RESULT: FEAR. 

The opposite would be LOVE. There are only two root emotions - all emotions lead either to fear or love. 

@rNOW That makes a lot of sense!! that you so much for this explanation! I suppose sadness would also trace back to fear?

@laurel emotion is what it is... anger etc is learned behaviour(mental construct) focus on feeling and letting go of emotions or using it for (e)motion...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Emotions are complex yet primitive. They exist to aid in your survival in so many ways. The best I could describe the differences between anger and fear is this; anger has more intensity and heat than fear in general. Also, which anger? There's a feeling of annoyance, feeling vengeful, feeling disgusted and feeling rage. There's also fear; insecurity, nervousness, worrying, terror and much more. Which one are you comparing to see the sameness or differences?

I would get an emotion thesaurus and the Sedona method's chart of emotions( or any other models of emotions) and use mindfulness to see how you think and feel for each one. Good luck.

Anger is there for you to set outward boundaries. 

Fear is there for you to protect yourself from harm, possibly determine whether to fight or flight.

Both are calling out for you to take action. Failing to take action may result in building up anxiety. 

Anger/aggression can be a coping skill, e.g. you can turn to anger in order to avoid feeling another emotion, e.g. fear, that is when fear is too uncomfortable you may make a conscious or unconscious habit to mask it with anger. 

Many different emotions can turn into coping with anger.

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

@Eph75 that is helpful. Thank you! "failing to take action may result in building up anxiety." That makes perfect sense! 

@laurel You're welcome, affection theory is very interestind and useful as it affects everyday life. Also the perfect match with mindfulness ?

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today.