Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rnd

Where in Latin America are psychedelics legal?

28 posts in this topic

I know of: Mexico and Brazil. Peru perhaps too. I've been in these countries by the way.

Where else in Latin America are they legal and for sure?

My question is only about the legality status.:)

It all depends on specific substances. There is no country in the world where everything is legal or illegal. The devil is in the details.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Ok. Let's take 5-meo DMT primarily.

It’s context dependent. Tell us what you are looking for. Are you looking for a 5-meo retreat in Latin America? Are you looking to live in community in which 5-meo use is relaxed? Do you want to buy synthetic 5-meo and travel through Latin America solo? . . . You just started a thread about the safety of tripping solo the first time and now a thread about the legality of psychedelics in Latin America. Give us some context of what’s going on.

It’s not so much wether it is 100% legal in every context. It’s which areas are best for what you want to do with the least amount of risk. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time with a gram of of 5-meo you are going to have a problem. Similarly, if you play it smart you won’t have a problem, even if it’s not fully legal in the country. I traveled throughout Latin America with various psychedelics without concern or issue. Yet I would never travel through Japan or parts of the Middle East with psychedelics. 

8 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Do you want to buy synthetic 5-meo

this.

I've been there for almost a year in different countries. I plan to return soon. And be doing trips, solo.

No retreats in a group -- 100-1000 times more expensive for a trip, with some redundant add-ons. They're all catered to white gringos who have money and who don't bother to do a simple research -- this is my impression.

Hence, I'd be doing trips solo, at my place.

I speak Spanish and some Portuguese.

8 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Yet I would never travel through Japan or parts of the Middle East with psychedelics. 

Japan and Middle East aren't in Latin America at all :).

My question is about  Latin America.

Edited by rnd

In Brazil, DMT is legal for religious purposes ONLY. If you want to use it under the protection of the Brazilian law, you need to be affiliated to a proper religious institution, which should be acknowledged by the legal institutions.

Selling Ayahuasca is not allowed. Using it on your own is not allowed.

unborn Truth

3 hours ago, ajasatya said:

In Brazil, DMT is legal for religious purposes ONLY. If you want to use it under the protection of the Brazilian law, you need to be affiliated to a proper religious institution, which should be acknowledged by the legal institutions.

Religious institutions are not giving psychedelics for free. In a sense, selling psychedelics is allowed.

5 hours ago, rnd said:

No retreats in a group -- 100-1000 times more expensive for a trip, with some redundant add-ons. They're all catered to white gringos who have money and who don't bother to do a simple research -- this is my impression.

Hence, I'd be doing trips solo, at my place.

I speak Spanish and some Portuguese.

When you say "my place", will you be living in Latin America? If you are tripping solo at your place in Latin America - it essentially boils down to aquiring 5-meo and traveling with it. Once you have 5-meo, it is easy to travel with and trip. I've traveled and tripped with various psychedelics solo throughout Latin America without problem. A half gram of 5-meo is tiny and essentially odorless. It's not like you are traveling with a kilo of weed or cocaine. . . You just need to be mindful about where you trip. I would be very careful about tripping in public. Traveling with a psychedelic is a piece of cake, maintaining your composure while tripping is more challenging. Imo, that is the greater risk of getting caught. For example, tripping at a cultural event, getting overwhelmed, freaking out and creating a scene. 

In terms of "reality enhancement" in foreign lands, I wold choose other psychedelics over 5-meo. For example, I took a low dose of 4-Aco-Dmt and hung out in the town square of Antigua, Guatemala. It was indescribably beautiful. The colorful clothing, the music, trees and water fountain. And I chatted with so many beautiful people - both locals and travelers. . .  LSD is super easy to travel with. It's just a tiny piece of paper. I'm totally comfortable traveling with LSD anywhere. Including airlines. I just put a couple tabs in a book or my wallet and don't even think about it. . . It's actually hard to get caught. Someone would have to put in effort and try to get caught traveling with LSD.  

8 hours ago, ajasatya said:

Actually only Ayahuasca is allowed. Not synthetic DMT.

5 hours ago, CreamCat said:

Religious institutions are not giving psychedelics for free. In a sense, selling psychedelics is allowed.

We have to pay for the costs but that's it. Religious institutions must be registered as non profitable organizations and nobody receives money from them. It's just a way towards sustainability.

unborn Truth

5 hours ago, CreamCat said:

Yes they are. Only affiliates pay a tax for maintenance of the organizations, just like any other religions around the world. What is not allowed is having a business of Ayahuasca, for example. It can't be for lucrative purposes.

2 minutes ago, Devi Shanti said:

Yes they are. Only affiliates pay a tax for maintenance of the organizations, just like any other religions around the world. What is not allowed is having a business of Ayahuasca, for example. It can't be for lucrative purposes.

I mean you aren't paying for drinking the tea. You are paying for electricity, water, cleaning, food and other material things you will need for having the experience with Ayahuasca in safety and confort.

9 hours ago, ajasatya said:

Is there any type of governmental oversight for religion-approved Ayahuasca ceremonies? Such as competency and safety standards/regulations. Or can a group apply for a license as a religion and do their own thing?

5 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Is there any type of governmental oversight for religion-approved Ayahuasca ceremonies? Such as competency and safety standards/regulations. Or can a group apply for a license as a religion and do their own thing?

It is far from being a priority so it is indeed very easy to start illegal organizations. But it's impossible to be invisible if the organization grows large... and in those scenarios, yes, the regulatory institutions do play a big role.

unborn Truth

11 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

When you say "my place", will you be living in Latin America? If you are tripping solo at your place in Latin America - it essentially boils down to aquiring 5-meo and traveling with it. Once you have 5-meo, it is easy to travel with and trip. I've traveled and tripped with various psychedelics solo throughout Latin America without problem. A half gram of 5-meo is tiny and essentially odorless. It's not like you are traveling with a kilo of weed or cocaine. . . You just need to be mindful about where you trip. I would be very careful about tripping in public.

Yes, in Latin America. In a rented place.

Why would anyone do it in public? Where? On a busy street during a day? xD

11 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

I've traveled and tripped with various psychedelics solo throughout Latin America without problem.

Through country customs also? Did they discover at all that you I had it with you? Or maybe they didn't notice?

Edited by rnd

2 hours ago, rnd said:

Through country customs also? Did they discover at all that you I had it with you? Or maybe they didn't notice?

Custom officers in those sorts of countries are not properly trained to look at suspected items, and even if they are their salary is too low for them to care.

Bribing is very easy to do in those countries (as it is in any developing nation) and you could probably get away with it. Although this depends on how white and foreigner you look. 

Edited by electroBeam

8 hours ago, rnd said:

Yes. I’ve traveled through customs. No one notice. Like I said, it’s hard to get caught with LSD. It’s a tiny piece of paper. You would need to try to get yourself caught. “Excuse me officer. Did you take a look at this scrap of paper? Maybe it’s not just paper. Maybe there is a drug on it. Perhaps you should test it for a drug that starts with “L” and ends with “D”. . . Or to be so nervous you panic. You would literally need to give yourself away. Research chemicals are practically as easy, because the amount needed is so small, we are talking milligrams. Five trips worth can fit into one tiny pill case, which can be mixed with other pills like allergy meds. To be discovered, you would need to act suspicious and give yourself away. Like being super anxious or nervous. . . “Hmmm, what’s going on with this guy that he is so nervous he is sweating, trembling and his voice is shaking?”. Custom officials are trained to detect suspicious behavior, not to detect a tiny scrap of paper. 

7 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Custom officers in those sorts of countries are not properly trained to look at suspected items, and even if they are their salary is too low for them to care.

Bribing is very easy to do in those countries (as it is in any developing nation) and you could probably get away with it. Although this depends on how white and foreigner you look. 

Why do you make such assumptions? Are you familiar with the train program that those office are trained on? Do you know what their salary is? Why do you assume that everyone could get away most of the time if he's caught ?

13 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Custom officials are trained to detect suspicious behavior, not to detect a tiny scrap of paper. 

Well, I'm often times neorvous when I pass customs anyway.

How about dogs?

A dog in Peru in the airport   sniffed bananas in my backpack when I was coming through to an exit. And then other dog in Chile also sniffed   the taste(!) of those bananas a week later in the same backpack, the ones that were confiscated in Peru. And I got pulled off 2 times. Can't they sniff drиgs as easily?

Edited by rnd