Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonasVE12

Difference between individuality and ego

8 posts in this topic

ego is false sense of self in the sense that your awareness is identified to mind? And individuality is only existent in relativity by means of experiencing in perception, mind, 
I think I get it, I find it difficult to conceptualize things

Edited by JonasVE12

10 minutes ago, JonasVE12 said:

ego is false sense of self in the sense that your awareness is identified to mind? And individuality is only existent in relativity by means of experiencing in perception, mind, 
I think I get it, I find it difficult to conceptualize things

@JonasVE12 The definition of the ego is pretty precise clinically but the "individual" is very difficult to define. One would have to define both to compare.

Edited by Matt8800

@JonasVE12 Imagine there is a green marble and a blue marble. We can create separation and say there are two individual marbles - the green one and the blue one. Notice how there is no attachment/identification to either marble. We don't say "I am the green marble and you are the blue marble".

Now imagine there are two individual human bodies. Notice the attachment/identification. The mind thinks "I am this individual person and they are that individual person". Here, there is not just individuality of two human bodies - there is an additional attachment/identification to individuality. That attachment/identification add-in is ego.

The difference, in my opinion, is that the ego does not exist. What do I mean by that? I mean that the ego seems to be a mere concept that is used excessively in spirituality. It's more like a pointer to something that resides in one's subconscious mind or shadow, or something that causes suffering as a result of being blindly selfish and unconscious.

Therefore, I think it's better to use the concept 'ego' as a revealing light for discovering and uncovering old patterns and traumas. I think open-mindedness for a student combined with the concept 'ego' used by a skilled and experienced teacher can help growing the student massively in the healthiest of ways.

When you 'finish' you'll realize it goes full circle. There won't be an 'ego' in the sense of the word you're using it as the I-thought is simply just that another thought. 

However you'll still have a personality, an enneagram type, food you like, your favorite movies etc and you'll still have thoughts. 

However they won't be 'your' thoughts, just thoughts that rise, do their thing, and then fall again. 

Think of it as kind of transcendental individuality, that's the best phrase I've heard on it. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 11/6/2019 at 0:45 PM, Lento said:

The difference, in my opinion, is that the ego does not exist. What do I mean by that? I mean that the ego seems to be a mere concept that is used excessively in spirituality. It's more like a pointer to something that resides in one's subconscious mind or shadow, or something that causes suffering as a result of being blindly selfish and unconscious.

Therefore, I think it's better to use the concept 'ego' as a revealing light for discovering and uncovering old patterns and traumas. I think open-mindedness for a student combined with the concept 'ego' used by a skilled and experienced teacher can help growing the student massively in the healthiest of ways.

I agree originally ego mint identity as in "I am John this is Susie" but I think the term has been killed in the recent years due to its ridiculous overuse in every religion and New Age movement trying to create a word salad comprable if not better than the next guru  on the Block