Hansu

Is an image accompanied with thought a form of low awareness?

11 posts in this topic

I was doing my mindfulness meditation for today and was distracted in the mid of the meditation by a thought. Often when I focus on hearing a thought, I notice that a mind image accompanies this thought.

Tought such as "I feel like having hamburger" spawns an image of McDonalds in my minds eye.

Sometimes these mind images even affect me when I focus on feeling something, like I imagine how it would feel like if someone massaged my leg, then I label it "feel" and as I focus on the feeling, I get a vivid image of a woman massaging my leg while I lay there meditating.

I always focus away from these mind images and focus on what I labeled, but I wonder if these mind images are actually a part of the feeling or hearing label? Like should I notice that the image is there while I take in this feeling or hearing sensation, or try to not notice it?

Edit: Just to be clear, Im wondering whether these mind images are filters of my mind that could hold me back in life, hence the title

Edited by Hansu

Ego self-defence mechanisms. That's the parasites talking.

Do a fast, purify the body, starve the ego.

B R E A T H E

30 minutes ago, Hansu said:

I imagine how it would feel like if someone massaged my leg, then I label it "feel" and as I focus on the feeling, I get a vivid image of a woman massaging my leg while I lay there meditating.

Ye right... a leg

35 minutes ago, Hansu said:

Just to be clear, Im wondering whether these mind images are filters of my mind that could hold me back in life, hence the title

36 minutes ago, Hansu said:

Thoughts such as "I feel like having hamburger" spawns an image of McDonalds in my minds eye.

36 minutes ago, Hansu said:

I imagine how it would feel like if someone massaged my leg, then I label it "feel" and as I focus on the feeling, I get a vivid image of a woman massaging my leg while I lay there meditating.

You may want to observe the images and source of the images. . . .This may bring greater awareness to underlying psychological dynamics. 

@Serotoninluv

Ah... Of course, its so clear now. I should have contemplated for longer before opening a new topic

Edit: To specify, the images are usually part of my addictions and somehow I didnt make that connection

Edited by Hansu

@Hansu We all have them. I’ve found it helpful to observe the root of recurring thought patterns. Sometimes the thoughts are unwelcomed yet keep appearing. Like some guy who comes to a party unwelcomed. . . 

@Serotoninluv

Do you keep a written journal on those thought patterns, or just take mental notes?

@Hansu you just make a good Mindfulness practice right there. You just have to noticing things, and observer how relates with the body as whole. 

7 minutes ago, Hansu said:

@Serotoninluv

Do you keep a written journal on those thought patterns, or just take mental notes?

I generally don’t journal about this type of thing. Yet I can see value in journaling about it. 

I usually journal about existential stuff. Yet sometimes there will be a pressing personal issue and it helps to unload it via journaling. I generally try to deconstruct the me thought story, rather than construct a more elaborate me thought story

@Jonac

Gotcha!

@Serotoninluv

Alright. I think Im going to start my journaling with this practice. I feel like it has great potential in regards to raising my awareness when it comes to repeating thought patterns.