arlin

Are whey protein unhealthy?

12 posts in this topic

I find hard to meet my daily requirments of protein intake from food. When i say that, i mean high quality proteins contained usually in high amounts only in meat, poultry, eggs. 

But i have 2kg of whey protein pouder. 

I am deciding if taking a dose per day is unhealthy as i am changing my diet to a more healthy one, adding more fruits, veggies, and removing sugar. 

What do you experts raccomand? :)

Whey protein is good stuff if you have the extra money for it. It wins on convenience as you can add it to things like yogurt and porridge to up your quality protein intake. However, it is marketed to tap in and take advantage financially of people looking to build muscle. All of the benefits from whey can be met by careful selection of real foods.

I used to love it for the taste in yoghurt and porridge. It's often virtually sugar free and also low carb if you don't mind the artificial sweeteners which I don't. 

Is it worth the money? Very debatable.

There is only so much protein the body needs, even if you are bulking up and weight training. 

Thank you for the answer. I am not into weight training. And i only need 45gr of protein because i weight 56kg.

However,i can only eat 100gr of a kind of meat with high quality protein per day as i don t have the money to buy everything for my diet. 

I am planning to also eat planty of plant protein such as legumes, seeds, etc... 

But i don't have to count them, right? 

Here’s something to consider, let me know if you’d like more sources on how and why we don’t actually need a high protein diet. I’ve been an athlete my entire life, played college soccer and weight lifted many years. Protein has done more harm than good overall I’m afraid to my body’s health. First I did the whey protein for a while until I finally realized it was better to get the protein from natural sources like plants peanut butter and yogurt, however, for the past few month I’ve been experimenting with the frugavore regimen and sure I’ve lost some weight but that’s the animal protein. I’ve never had more energy, no joint popping, no soreness from working out and my skin has never been so clear in my life. But what’s necessary is knowing the acidity of types of food and knowing when and what to consume here’s a good chartD3E5CC56-5D5A-4131-ADE9-E109AA2FF099.jpeg

check out this video as well 

@Bill W you might find this valuable as well my friend 

@zeroISinfinitywill tag you here too buddy 

Edited by DrewNows

Personally this is the Doc I approve of when it comes to gaining knowledge related to protein for us humanoids (he’s spiritual open and honest, and encourages spreading Truth)

@Bill Wyw sir, noticed you started journaling, hope you find it enjoyable, I’ll check it on occasion 

Edited by DrewNows

There’s many more consequences with the attempted breakdown of complex amino acids found in animal proteins. Sure muscles may be gained “faster” but my kidneys suffered (frequent urination), i was always sore (acidity), had different fungal issues, body odor, and over time was much more prone to injury (hamstring tears etc) 

fruit has simple amino acids, that’s really what our body’s optimally function with 

The hormones in animal food raise your natural circulating levels of steroid hormones. For women these means spiking Oestrogens. High unbound estrogens have been linked to uterine and breast cancers. For men this means promoting a conversion of Testosterone to DHT by stimulating the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase. This has been linked to potential prostate growth and prostate cancer. 

Dairy has times and times been shown to raise levels of Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 by stimulating the production of Growth Hormone in pituitary gland. IGF-1 stimulates something called a "mitogenic pathway" which is basically a cellular replication stimulating cell growth and replication. This in excess has been linked to some cancers by excessively triggering mTOR, PI3K and many other pathways that should not be exploited beyond the needed amount.  

In whey you are getting massively multiplied amounts of concentrated animal proteins, that you would normally take in from a slice of cheese or a cup of milk. Not to mention most Whey comes from the cheapest non-organic sources filled with antibiotics and pesticies. There is only so much your liver can detoxify before toxins start to accumulate. If you are someone drinking a lot of coffee on top of that, your liver Phase I detoxification pathway will often be compromised resulting in lot of recirculating reactive toxins which is not good either. 

And finally, high amounts of animal protein have been linked to the deterioration of kidney filtration function. This was not observed by plant protein intake. So whatever you decide to do, caution is advised. Remember that health > short term gains. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1.6 g of protein per kg of body weight is the absolute maximum that has been shown to have benefits in terms of muscle mass/strength. Anything beyond is completely unnecessary and most research finds no more benefits after 1.4

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@arlin not a fan of whey but have you tried egg white protein? It’s much better for you and cheaper. I own a personal training business and am also an athlete. Egg white is the way to go in my opinion.