7thLetter

Does consciousness ever decline?

6 posts in this topic

I think all types of human growth decline at some point under certain circumstances. For example, muscle growth declines when you’re not eating the right food and going to the gym consistently. Does it work the same way with consciousness if you take a break from spiritual work and listening to theory?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

The physical body and consciousness do not work the same way. The physical body is just one small aspect of consciousness as a whole. If you become conscious of something, for example you have the realization that life is a dream, you can't become unconscious of it. If it was just a mere ideology, you can change your mind to adopt another one, but that means you never consciously had that realization in the first place in your direct experience. You can also suppress something you become conscious of because you aren't accepting of it but that would cause major cognitive dissonance and negative things will manifest for you. 

The dudes in platos cave get unchained, they see that life is more than just their shadows on the wall, they can never go back to their previous state before. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@7thLetter From the perspective of a human subjective experience of consciousness - sure. Personal consciousness and cognitive ability decline. Yet deep insights that stick can stick for a really long time. Imagine living in a cave your whole life and finding an exit hole. You exit the cave and explore the forest for two days. Then you get scared and return to the cave. . . You can't unsee that type of thing. It would take a long time to fade away.

From an absolute perspective of Consciousness, no.

1 hour ago, 7thLetter said:

I think all types of human growth decline at some point under certain circumstances. For example, muscle growth declines when you’re not eating the right food and going to the gym consistently. Does it work the same way with consciousness if you take a break from spiritual work and listening to theory?

It looks like you're afraid of losing progress you made, both spiritual and physical (muscle declining) to aging and to procrastination. This tells me you're identified strongly as a spiritual person, progressive, to the body and strongly to the mind (introvert.).