Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnIsDoe

Meditation & Mindfulness Certifications?

11 posts in this topic

Any recommendations? Looking towards becoming a meditation coach. Thanks!:)

You don't need a certification for that.

What are you bringing to the table?

If you know your stuff, just start coaching people and see how it goes!

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

A lot of people would love to be a meditation coach. But the truth is, do you deserve to be? 

Anyone can tell me to focus on my breath. But how long have you sat for, how many retreats have you done, do you have insight or are you just looking for a easy job?

Be honest:x

Orange wearing Tier 2 cloak, selling "instant consciousness". Don't become part of that movement. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 16/09/2019 at 4:32 PM, JohnIsDoe said:

Any recommendations? Looking towards becoming a meditation coach. Thanks!:)

a certification's function is to keep the certified seeking approval from others. 

meditation is beyond seeking approval. 

therefore meditation certifications are an oxymoron. 

3 hours ago, electroBeam said:

a certification's function is to keep the certified seeking approval from others. 

I don't agree. You can be a great mediator, but a terrible teacher. A course can show you how to share your skills.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

Though, it might help for the business side of things.  The certification process may also cover things you didn't know or consider before.  Like stats on benefits, slightly new techniques, new analogies for understanding, teaching and public speaking skills, learning styles of people you teach, ethics, how to organize your teaching, how to help people with specific issues and how to know what issues are what, etc.

Being a teacher could be a very different experience than meditating on your own, and require a handful of other skills and knowledge needed to do it effectively, ethically, and enjoyably.  Similar to a university professor who's brilliant in their field, but awful at teaching people.  People can be 20 year meditators, but still be terrible at teaching. 

Though, personal experience would be one of the first things I'd want in a meditation teacher.  That, and then knowing they have a solid theoretical foundation (from a school, spiritual tradition, etc.).  Depending on who the person was, I think I would generally feel more comfortable with someone who had a relatively large conceptual knowledge base to house explain and house experiences and techniques they were teaching.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@electroBeam I was going to use the certification as more of a way to increase my skills and learn from those already in the field. I will admit, people may rely on certifications to get approval from others. But also, we live in a society that is very focused on degrees and credentials because that is almost how our culture defines credibility. It may help people take you more seriously. At least for now. But thanks for sharing! I haven't thought of seeking approval from people through a certificate. I'm thinking about ways that I might be falling into that trap.

@okulele Yup! Thanks for replying:)

@Matt23 I couldn't agree more. I was particularly concerned with the marketing and sales aspect of a coaching business as well as ways to teach meditation and keep people accountable. Also, everyone has a different brain wiring and different lifestyles. This makes different types of meditators with various wants and needs. Thanks for sharing!!