CreamCat

I'm considering deleting my reddit account.

20 posts in this topic

I ask questions there from time to time.

90~99% of the questions I ask there are unimportant. Most of the time, the answers I get are not useful, and I could dig better answers through trials and errors or by searching the internet.

Sometimes, I meet a downvoter who uses one's multiple puppet accounts to downvote me for pointing out mistakes. When someone uses one's multiple puppet accounts to downvote me, it's pretty obvious even though I cannot know whom exactly downvoted me. That downvote shit attracts unconscious people whom I don't want to interact with.

Perhaps, it's time to delete my reddit account. Although there is some value in searching reddit, I don't get much value out of using a reddit account. Since I don't get much value out of it, I'm actually losing due to opportunity costs.

I stopped using IRC and started using high-quality forums and mailing lists for the same reason. Dealing with unconscious people is a pain in the butt.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat I like reddit, but it can be a huge waste of time if you're not careful. 

I got in a discussion with a person over the true use of science and its limitations. Of course I knew it wasn't going to go over well beforehand, but I was still drawn to do it. Basically every comment thread is completely pointless unless you're just complimenting someone or being humorous. It doesn't matter how clearly you explain high consciousness topics, people just won't be able to get it. Seeing reddit for what it is, it's still my favorite "social media" / "news" site, I really like the concept. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

4 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

I really like the concept.

I'd use reddit if reddit

• removed downvote
  • enabled thread postors to delete comments.
  • enabled commenters to delete replies

reddit has been a nuisance for me.

I strongly prefer self-moderation(ability to remove comments and replies) to community moderation(downvote & upvote).

I'm willing to live with upvote, but not downvote.

Edited by CreamCat

Just now, CreamCat said:

I'd use reddit if reddit

• removed downvote

That would be heavily abused and it would break reddit. What's wrong with the downvote, and why do you care?

Sent from my iEgo

15 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

That would be heavily abused and it would break reddit. What's wrong with the downvote, and why do you care?

We have different definitions of "broken". To me, reddit is already broken.

Abusing self-moderation is ok to me because I want to be able to remove troll comments.

I strongly prefer someone deleting my comments to that person to being downvoted by anonymous trolls and puppet accounts.

I prefer abusing self-moderation to abusing downvotes because

• downvotes by anonymous accounts are far more annoying than someone deleting my comments to that person.
  • Self-moderation is limited to one person, but downvotes are not. I don't like moderation by unknown faces.
  • Self-moderation imparts accountability because it is limited to one person linked to a specific account that I can check.

It ultimately comes down to who resonates more with which cons and pros. I strongly prefer self moderation.

You prefer anonymous community moderation.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat so the freedom to speak without being downvoted is more important than the freedom of speech? I fundamentally disagree with that.

You said that you'd like the OP to be able to delete any comment. How this would be used in real life is that many would monitor their posts and delete any conflicting comments. Not rude ones, just ones that they merely didn't agree with. Now, how would you feel as a commenter if you knew your comment could be immediately deleted for no reason? I know I'd think twice about voicing my opinion. Downvotes are literally imaginary internet points. Deleted comments are wasted time, oppression in real life. 

Don't worry, for bad cases there's a "report button." But you need a verifyable reason to erase someone else's content, otherwise the whole system gets fucked up. Now, I've thought about this before, cause on the surface it seems like you can just erase the downvote and it'd be an absolute win. But the downvote serves an important function. Sure it could be deleted, but then reddit would stop being reddit in obvious ways. I'll let you ponder that. :)

Sent from my iEgo

22 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

Deleted comments are wasted time, oppression in real life. 

You just imagined oppression. On reddit, a form of self-moderation is still possible by deleting your own post and re-posting it.

Look, we have different view points and resonate with different pros and cons. As a limited being, my freedom is going to be limited in one way or another. I choose how my freedom is limited. I choose what annoys me less. If you cannot accept relative view points and relativism, we totally cannot be friends. I'm not going to try to convince you. Don't try to convince me of different view points. Don't convince me to use reddit. Don't convince me to be annoyed less by downvotes.

I'm going to use what I like. So do you.

Edited by CreamCat

1 hour ago, CreamCat said:

If you cannot accept relative view points and relativism, we totally cannot be friends. I'm not going to try to convince you. Don't try to convince me of different view points. Don't convince me to use reddit. Don't convince me to be annoyed less by downvotes.

It would sure be easier to be your friend if you didn't take my criticism of a relative viewpoint to be a condemnation of it. I know for a fact I'm not convincing you of anything. This isn't scarcity mindset here, we can each voice different opinions and have them lay on the same table. I actually laid out our fundamental difference very succinctly: freedom of speech (despite cost), over freedom from adversity. You think we need protection from the outside fringes of manipulative or dangerous free speech, and you believe the answer is to limit free speech. Now this is tricky, and I halfway agree with you. This is why I'm not judging your viewpoint, cause I understand it. Just know it's a fact that's a slippery slope that will start to eat up the original freedom we fought to protect. Some of it is unavoidable though, that's the fine line of freedom. Limiting freedom in the right ways gets you more freedom. I just don't agree with this specific instance. 

Sent from my iEgo

58 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

You think we need protection from the outside fringes of manipulative or dangerous free speech, and you believe the answer is to limit free speech.

There is no total freedom. Only god has total freedom. Freedom is going to be limited in one way or another. Freedom of speech is always limited. It's about how to limit it.

I don't think "we" need "protection" from free speech. I think "I" want "freedom" to bang assholes with targeted comment removal via self-moderation instead of removing entire post as I do on reddit. I want a more surgical approach.

You don't need protection from free speech. Neither do I. You will want whatever you want. I want my own things.

You seem to think that the fact that I have freedom to use a platform where self-moderation is more surgical limits your freedom to use reddit.

Disagree however much you like. I'm going to use whatever platform I like to use. Period.

Edited by CreamCat

13 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

It is becoming a bit annoying at this point, though. 

It's funny watching you get riled up. 

26 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Disagree however much you like.

Would your opinion change if I had a downvote button? ;)

Sent from my iEgo

8 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

Would your opinion change if I had a downvote button? ;)

Never. Just stop.

Edited by CreamCat

Reddit is an amazing platform, if you look in the right places (aka, follow the right SubReddits).

I for one have found great experiences from all the psychedelic subreddits 

I have also fell into r/atheism, r/redpill, and a few more embarrassing subreddits that I've needed to climb out of

Edited by d0ornokey

22 hours ago, CreamCat said:

• removed downvote

I thought you can delete posts for yourself. You must be logged in tho.

You are overthinking this. Reddit is like the internet. Use it or dont. If I was you I would focus more on this forum. Even tho you cant delete posts here, its quite good value. Good ROI ;)

1 hour ago, universe said:

I thought you can delete posts for yourself. You must be logged in tho.

You are overthinking this. Reddit is like the internet. Use it or dont. If I was you I would focus more on this forum. Even tho you cant delete posts here, its quite good value. Good ROI ;)

I know I can delete my own posts. I also can hide this thread if I want.

20 hours ago, dpvifa said:

Reddit is an amazing platform, if you look in the right places (aka, follow the right SubReddits).

@dpvifa Are you interested in giving some examples? Maybe a High Consciousness SubReddits Thread would fit in the High Consciousness Resources Subforum here, haven't seen one.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, CreamCat said:

Sometimes, I meet a downvoter who uses one's multiple puppet accounts to downvote me for pointing out mistakes. When someone uses one's multiple puppet accounts to downvote me, it's pretty obvious even though I cannot know whom exactly downvoted me. That downvote shit attracts unconscious people whom I don't want to interact with.

Poor boy. Have you already claimed your mummy and daddy that people on Reddit sometimes will downvote you for no good reason?   :(

Edited by rnd

On 9/4/2019 at 0:27 AM, CreamCat said:

I'm willing to live with upvote, but not downvote.

xD:D

I can't understand those who jerk off on their reddit up- and downvotes. Will anybody explain that to me?

Edited by rnd

@CreamCat Don't indulge in such competitions. When it becomes a game of who is right/wrong, it's time to let go. Seek Wisdom. Wisdom is prior to smartness.

unborn Truth

12 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@CreamCat Don't indulge in such competitions. When it becomes a game of who is right/wrong, it's time to let go. Seek Wisdom. Wisdom is prior to smartness.

I don't intend to indulge in it. I realize that I don't want to compete on who is right or wrong.

By the way, I can love your well-trimmed beard and mustache.

Edited by CreamCat