Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Natasha

To Peel Or Not To Peel

13 posts in this topic

I hear different opinions on whether to peel some types of fruits/vegetables before eating or cooking. Some sources say to leave the peel on and that it's the most nutritious part, while others would advice to peel, because peel is a protective layer that absorbs 'bad' stuff from outside and shields the flesh from it.

When I grew up, my Grandmother pickled watermelon peels and also made sugared zest from lemon peel, etc. And my Mom often makes pickled eggplant with skin on, a dish my taste buds find quite yummy C(:

Do you peel apples, pears, carrots, potatoes, etc before you eat/cook them?

Apparently you can eat the skin of a kiwi. 

@Shiva @Neorez Yeah I've been trying to eat the skins as well, but sometimes I'd get 'funny' and start peeling everything, even tomatoes and grapes.

1 minute ago, Keyhole said:

I leave them on.  I like the added texture.  Except for things like kiwis, watermelon, mangos, bananas, stuff like that.

Yeah those are big ones. There is a type of kiwi that has smooth thin skin, I eat those whole.

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

How do you even peel a tomato? Hahaha xD

I go around it with a knife blade (just pressing semi-hard) and then it's really easy to take that thin skin off it 9_9

Just now, Keyhole said:

@Natasha Are they those little ones, or do they have big ones like that?
The little ones, called "kiwi berries" don't have fuzz on them and they're pretty good.  Like eating grapes.

Yes those are nice and sweet. And also a regular sized ones called 'golden kiwis' with the yellow thin skin, no fuzz. They carry them at a local Sam's Club sometimes.

25 minutes ago, Shiva said:

@Natasha Today I will peel my first tomato just to see how that looks like.

A blade with little 'teeth' works better. Go around a tomato a few times until it starts to look a bit squished on the ourside, then make a cut and peel away.

14 hours ago, Natasha said:

Do you peel apples, pears, carrots, potatoes, etc before you eat/cook them?

carrots - yes because of the bitterness. Apples contain most of their fibre and phytonutrients in peal so I wouldn't get that off. Heard some people eat kiwi and bananas whole but that has to taste funny. 

I'd keep the tomato peel as well, lots of nutrients bound there

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I personally only consume organically grown produce so i do not need to peel. I just wash with purified water and enjoy!

Much of the goodness is within the peels. As for conventionally grown foods, even if you peel, they are sprayed systematically in all stages of growth so i don't think it will make much of a difference?

This is why i disagree with people who say wash fruits/veggies with apple cider vinegar and purified water to remove herbicides/pesticides, chemicals ect.. yeah maybe from the skin but what about the insides, they are systemically sprayed since birth.

Peeling is only necessary when you wanna make mash potato or something similar or when the skins are naturally toxic and inedible.

Although i do believe the skin protects a lot of the chemicals, especially thicker skins like avocado, mango, coconut, banana, orange ect.. but then again if they are sprayed from start to finish, i am quite certain a lot of chemicals would of eventually been absorbed inside as when the plant is younger wouldn't the skin be far more sensitive?

Who knows :S

B R E A T H E

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, Michael569 said:

some people eat kiwi and bananas whole but that has to taste funny

I just ate a kiwi with 'fuzzy' skin on for the first time, wasn't as bad as I thought. The skin tasted kind of neutral, and blended nicely with the rest of the fruit, even adding some texture to its soft flesh. Definitely going to start eating kiwis whole from now on C(:

its a double edge decision.

There are more concentration of nutrionts and vitamins in the skin, a lot more.

But the skin is in direct contact with pesticides, chemicals, and washing it with water is not enough. You eat these chemicals that imbalance your hormone system.

If the fruits or vegs are from the grocery never eat the peel. If you grow them or are from a local farmes, yes eat the skin.

31 minutes ago, Moreira said:

If the fruits or vegs are from the grocery never eat the peel. If you grow them or are from a local farmes, yes eat the skin.

Yep, that's what I do :) I mostly eat organic from a local fresh market.