CreamCat

People drag each other down with distractions on this forum.

11 posts in this topic

Most people distract each other on this forum. I'm guilty of using this forum as a distraction, too. Leo knows it as well.

Distractions are worse when people distract each other with important things.
People think they are productive when they distract themselves with important things.
You think you are doing something important when you are focused on unimportant things.

If you keep distracting each other, you will remain passive. If you remain passive, you will become the reason that you lose control of your life. Your time and energy are getting drained by distractions.

I decided not to use this forum unless I have "real" contributions or "real" questions. I will instead work on myself and engage in productive activities.
I will lift weights, study, and research. I will improve my diet. I will focus on what I know but haven't been doing.

I want you to wake up from sleep and unlock your potential as well.

Edited by CreamCat

You got it.  I just pop in now briefly from time to time.  I like to come on first thing in the am and not stay too long.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I wouldnt consider a distraction something that can take 15 minutes of your day and you can learn from it. Youtube, videogames or Tv are 100 times more distracting and harmful.

1 minute ago, Moreira said:

I wouldnt consider a distraction something that can take 15 minutes of your day and you can learn from it. Youtube, videogames or Tv are 100 times more distracting and harmful.

Then you wonder "what if somebody posted something new" and check it throughout the day. Frequenting it too often is the problem. It becomes the new Facebook or Instagram. Even higher consciousness content could be turned low consciousness if not consumed properly. 

I do it a lot. I come here to not be bored. 

Distraction itself serves a purpose - maybe it stops the suffering of facing reality (yourself) head on. Maybe distration is also more 'playful' and less serious than reality. And so on. It has survival value.

I guess the distraction is only a problem because the clock is always ticking away the seconds towards your death. And, you could be facing reality head on instead and removing the suffering altogether.

All stories and explanations are false.

You are always doing what you think is the best thing you can be doing at any given moment in time. 

@Joseph Maynor that's right. Paradoxically being future oriented and chasing potential can also be a distraction in itself. Distraction from what? Being: savouring the perfection of the present moment.

All stories and explanations are false.

An online forum addiction, bad eating habits, vicious gaming, consumerism etc. You name it. It's your responsibility, always.

You can use a hammer to help you build a house or to destroy your own kitchen. Make your choice.

unborn Truth

2 hours ago, ajasatya said:

An online forum addiction, bad eating habits, vicious gaming, consumerism etc. You name it. It's your responsibility, always.

You can use a hammer to help you build a house or to destroy your own kitchen. Make your choice.

An online forum is trickier than a hammer. An online forum can become a subtle addiction like criticism.

1 minute ago, CreamCat said:

An online forum is trickier than a hammer. An online forum can become a subtle addiction like criticism.

It's still just a tool. The more complex the tool is, the more harm it can cause and the more benefit it can do. It depends on the wisdom of it's user.

unborn Truth

The forum has become a distraction for me as well, but I welcome distractions as long as I'm also doing the work. There's a balance to be found and this balance is very 'personal' , so to say.

I can't spend all day in meditation or self-inquiry yet, the mind needs time off from that as well. It's a process. Otherwise there is the risk of going in too deep too fast and getting ego backlash (which has happened to me before as well and it's not pretty).

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions