BIggleswerth

Increasing focus

7 posts in this topic

When I'm studying something difficult like statistics, I tend to get burnt out /stressed instead of pushing through. Then I reach for something easy like a tv show.

I have noticed that my focus is better generally when I'm meditating regularly, but meditating regularly is also difficult. 

I know there is probably no easy solution, but is there a more specific meditation or technique I can try to improve focus?

Yoga is very powerful.

Cold showers also.

For increasing your focus, try to do one work at a time, slowly but surely, try to slow down your whole body movements, don't rush (because having the thought of " I should finish this lesson ASAP " will make you faster, when you are faster, you don't have the ability to concentrate, try to slow down the whole process and then focus on what you need to focus! ( your problem arises, when you want to finish everything as fast as you can!! ) 

Do you know why you meditate? 

Meditation is the practice of slowing yourself down to the extend that you improve your awareness and concentration

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Intermittent fasting combined with longer fasts in monthly basis had a tramendous impact on my ability to focus. Lowering carbohydrate intake and saving them for later in the day might also decrease fogginess.

Some othing this you could try are:

- cold showers 

- supplenting cdp-choline or alpha-gpc 

- waking up at the same time everyday 

- working out every day 

Kudos to you for studying hard stuff like statistics!  I have seen a broad range of personalities--introverts, extroverts, open-minded, devoted, straightforward, agreeable, and empathetic people demonstrate strong focus.

Personally, my focus gets side-lined by fixation on details. I struggle to see the forest for the trees. For example, I recently discovered that my elementary teacher called my parents in (back in the day), and told them there was a problem: I was working too hard. I needed to...relax.

For me, using an alarm to stop every 25 minutes has been useful for strategic thought, keeping me on track, and producing better output, than brute-focus. I will sit and focus on work for 12 hours straight. I was surprised that these frequent breaks increased my production. My own needs (like going to the bathroom) also surprised me.

I found that intellectually-engaging distractions helped me to cope, as materials got harder. I got anxious and distracted about school--even too distracted to pay attention to distractions like youtube videos. So, I started occupying my mind with books about obscure stuff. A book that grips me is not typical--but a precious gem, nonetheless. University libraries rock. So, I found some books that I  wanted to read. That also lit a fire under my butt to get through work materials. It is a counter-intuitive move. After reading a dry textbook, the last thing I wanted to do was read a book. As I said, it made all the difference to find a book that seemed interesting to me at the time--not something I "should" read.

I am probably desperate for a distraction right now. I am worried about my narrow fixation at work, and that I am not competent enough; I can't seem to sleep. Maybe it is time to read up on painkillers and depressants through the ages.

Kind of clickbaity, but the advice is legit.

Edit: I didn't read your last post... This may not be the right thing for you.

Edited by Jj13