Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aldo

Humor and enlightenment

11 posts in this topic

Hello guys by observing many realised teachers on youtube i ve noticed that they have a very good sense of humor. Recently sadhguru claimed that one who is not able to laugh is not able to meditate. I also came across the trickster archetype in jungian prsychology. The trickster or the fool represents chaos and by integrating it we learn to accept the chaotic nature of life.What do you guys think? Can one make spiritual progress by watching comedy shows and just cracking jokes?

Just with comedy shows and cracking jokes, probably not, tons of people do just that everyday.

Like everything there is a genuine and a "veiled" way to do things.

The genuine humor is because you are naturally in tune with life, there is a natural flow to it, it comes from detachment of basically everything.
The "veiled" humor is there because people hide their pain (coming from attachments) behind pleasure, in this case laughter -> comedy show/stand up/telling jokes all the time.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin yea humor does not seem like an effective tool to but i now think is more like an indicator that you are growing in the right direction. Personaly the more i grow i find random thinks more easy to laugh about. Also my carisma is sharper.

I actually think humor is an effective tool. The ego is very serious and a way to undo the ego is to laugh at it. Smiling at fearful thoughts, laughing a human fallibility instead of criticizing, laughing at your own insecurities, finding the humor in embarrassment and all the other shit that the ego takes seriously. 

Just now, sausagehead said:

I actually think humor is an effective tool. The ego is very serious and a way to undo the ego is to laugh at it. Smiling at fearful thoughts, laughing a human fallibility instead of criticizing, laughing at your own insecurities, finding the humor in embarrassment and all the other shit that the ego takes seriously. 

Unless you do what the man said,

No way in hell you're gonna awaken, or it's gonna be ULTRA painful.

God is love

And God in them

I really believe that you can. 

But you also have to combine it with some hard-nosed approaches and truly feeling sorrow and depression without distracting yourself. It's about fully embracing all aspects of life and dismissing none. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Aldo I’ve noticed this as well. It seems as a person matures spirituality a humble, inviting sense of humor arises. At a deeper level I would ask if they can boogie till they can’t boogie no more. If not, I would say they are constrained within a particular personality dynamic. 

15 minutes ago, Shin said:

Unless you do what the man said,

No way in hell you're gonna awaken, or it's gonna be ULTRA painful.

what do you mean exactly?

7 minutes ago, sausagehead said:

what do you mean exactly?

I don't want to spoil anything to you

?

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

Nahm

Posted 10 hours ago

@Aldo Knock knock.