SQAAD

Why does it mean to say that you want Truth for Truth's sake?

20 posts in this topic

I am working towards my Life Purpose right now &  am trying to find my top values & embody them. I also have a deep desire for Truth which has been developed  a lot the last 3 years  wathing actualized.org.

Now my question is what does it mean to say that you want Truth for Truth's sake? I think i know what it means  but i am not sure.

I constantly ask myself Why do i want / value the Truth & can't get an answer besides that i want the Truth because i want the Truth. Is that "irrational" or wrong ?  At which point do you hit rock bottom & stop asking the Why question? 

Edited by SQAAD

I suggest reading the Jed Mckenna trilogy.

Either you'll get to the truth with a ravenous hunger and truth above all costs, questioning everything until there's simply nothing left or you will detour along the path and prefer safety and comfort above truth itself.

Something tells me you fear going deeper into the questions once you hit a certain point, excuses may vary - however if you've not received the answer and the questions have ceased, you don't embody truth.

It's a hunt for unicorn in the forest. The unicorn doesn't exist but you'll have a damn good adventure and discover a lot about the forest and yourself while you're trying to find the damn thing. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Omni

10 hours ago, Omni said:

I suggest reading the Jed Mckenna trilogy.

Either you'll get to the truth with a ravenous hunger and truth above all costs, questioning everything until there's simply nothing left or you will detour along the path and prefer safety and comfort above truth itself.

Something tells me you fear going deeper into the questions once you hit a certain point, excuses may vary - however if you've not received the answer and the questions have ceased, you don't embody truth.

I have not received the answer to the question of why do i want the Truth. That's what i am working on. My only answer so far is that i want the Truth because i want the Truth. I want to go deeper than this answer but i can't.

Edited by SQAAD

8 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

@SQAAD

What is the Truth?

@Truth Addict I don't know at this moment. I just don't wanna be deluded.

@SQAAD

Wanting truth for truth's sake(or any value for that matter) solely depends on the hierarchy of values.

You might find some people donating all their organs before their death, going to a war consciously, leaving family and friends forever for some unknown quest, being the hungry artist(whose works only get recognized after they die in the streets homeless) etc. I hope you get the idea.

What were these people doing? Well, their one top value trumped all other values by many degree. So they eventually came to this crossroad when saw that there is really nothing else for them to do other than pursuing their top value.

Truth for truth's sake is sort of like that. One simply comes to a stark realization that there is nothing else left worthy of pursuing. It's sort of a condition when all other values are exhausted and released through course of events and the love for truth remains intact.

But the paradox here is that one can't really want Truth. Not really. Because that which wants Truth can never reach or taste Truth. Truth is what remains after that 'thing' is dead

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom Why do you want the Truth?   (Let's assume you do, i am trying to get an answer).

27 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@Truth Addict I don't know at this moment. I just don't wanna be deluded.

Good.

You can go in both ways;

1. Deconstructing the illusion.
  2. Looking for the actual Truth.

Try to firstly start with creating a conceptual definition of the truth, what does it mean to say that something is true?

Write the question on paper: What is 100% true?

And keep trying to get an answer, at least a concept of Truth.

These are my limits, I've done the conceptual work, but still doing the spiritual work, the answers then will come by themselves, I guess.

Edited by Truth Addict

@SQAAD There is no reason or justification to go for the truth. That is why one says "for truths sake", the only reason truth is important is because it is true. Truth justifies itself

Going for truth without any egoic motivation, without the intention of advancing yourself. Just because you want the truth about the world, thats all

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

33 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@Preetom Why do you want the Truth?   (Let's assume you do, i am trying to get an answer).

Because there is no other option left and the hatred towards falsehood has become too much to endure anymore.

Truth burns everything

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

@Omni

I have not received the answer to the question of why do i want the Truth. That's what i am working on. My only answer so far is that i want the Truth because i want the Truth. I want to go deeper than this answer but i can't.

Think of your ability to question like a machete within a dense forest and everything that doesn't hold firm isn't truth. You can go further, you don't want to.

2 hours ago, Robi Steel said:

@SQAAD There is no reason or justification to go for the truth. That is why one says "for truths sake", the only reason truth is important is because it is true. Truth justifies itself

Going for truth without any egoic motivation, without the intention of advancing yourself. Just because you want the truth about the world, thats all

@Robi Steel Finally someone answers my original question ;)

It's difficult for my egoic mind to accept that i want Truth for no reason other than Truth itself. It goes contrary to my social conditioning & culture in general and sometimes it feels like its just "wrong".

Edited by SQAAD

2 hours ago, Preetom said:

Because there is no other option left and the hatred towards falsehood has become too much to endure anymore.

Truth burns everything

@Preetom Wanting the Truth because you feel hatred towards falsehood is a negative motivation. I am not saying that it's wrong though. I don't really know anymore.

Edited by SQAAD

Truth is an interesting concept. I grew up in a legalistic family where everything was black and white. True was true, and False was false. But I eventually learned that almost everything I came to believe as Truth was... well, subjective. I learned that the color blue that I see is not actually the color blue, but literally every other color instead. I learned that water is not wet. I learned that you cannot physically touch anything because of the repulsion forces at the atomic level. I learned that my political assumptions had very strong counters on the other side, and that anyone can look at something and create their own truth from it. I learned that DNA samples are faulty and that multiple witnesses of the same incident often see very different things.

Truth is subjective. But still I crave it. What does that say about me, that I crave something that is as fluid and nonexistent as Truth?

The first step on a spiritual journey is to realize that everything you know to be true could be false.
The final step is the same.

-=+=-

3 minutes ago, jbram2002 said:

Truth is subjective. But still I crave it. What does that say about me, that I crave something that is as fluid and nonexistent as Truth?

@jbram2002 You assume that it is nonexistent. Maybe there is an Absolute Truth.

@SQAAD Perhaps there is, but then, perhaps there isn't. If we are willing to pursue Absolute Truth, then we must be willing to accept that possibility. Perhaps all of our perceptions, even flawed ones or ones that are provably, demonstrably false, are a part of that Truth. Perhaps Truth is everything... or perhaps it is nothing.

The first step on a spiritual journey is to realize that everything you know to be true could be false.
The final step is the same.

-=+=-

@Preetom Great answer :)

@SQAAD I want Truth because I don't want human bullshit anymore. I just want the actual Truth itself.

Mind games and beliefs aren't that much satisfying for me but ralizing Truth is.

@SQAAD

I see a lot of conceptual baggage about Truth in this thread.

Kill the Buddha!

Destroy everything you think you know about the Truth.

Forget everything you heard Leo and other teachers saying about the Truth.

Start from scratch, contemplate what truth is, and what it means for something to be true.

14 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

Kill the Buddha!

If you see buddha on the way, kill him xD