Quantum_fluctuations

Pragmatic way to to have some silence in mind

10 posts in this topic

My mind is chattering, chattering and chattering.

It was all good few years back, I never noticed that if there is something mind chattering . I was just being myself.

Now, I can see that my mind is so much inefficient and just making my life hell even though there is nothing physically happening to me.

I have everything that a 18 year would reasonably  expect ( not everything, no one in world has).

Is there anyway to get control of this mind?

I've heard meditation helps. 

I sit on zafu with all correct posture as per zazen instruction because I've read that its more nondual in nature.

Now, what? Sometimes, mind become silent while doing meditation but it starts becoming chaos once again.

My thoughts are still making chaos in mind. What am I supposed to do know?

How did you silence your mind? How much time did it take? What did you do?

16 minutes ago, Quantum_fluctuations said:

3~4 years of diligent practice. 24/7 mindfulness + retreats.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya If you observe the mind or mindful is it not giving more power to the thoughts?

Which is better mindfulness or concentration or self enquiry ?

1 minute ago, Jkris said:

If you observe the mind or mindful is it not giving more power to the thoughts?

Which is better mindfulness or concentration or self enquiry ?

the proper way to practice mindfulness can hardly be spoken. there is a HUGE difference between observing thoughts and dwelling in thoughts. the former is a practice of detachment and the later is imaginative.

i would say that concentration is a more general term. mindfulness is concentration on what happens NOW. they are more of less the same thing.

self inquiry is something else. it's a linguistic process that leads to the absence of language.

which one is better? it depends on your current specific cause of suffering. "ego is causing me suffering" does not qualify as a specific cause of suffering.

unborn Truth

35 minutes ago, Quantum_fluctuations said:

I sit on zafu with all correct posture as per zazen instruction because I've read that its more nondual in nature.

Now, what?

this is where most people get stuck. meditation alone is not enough.

what happens during meditation sessions is a consequence of your daily karma (thoughts, words, acts, emotions etc). if you want to experience true peace of mind, you need to reconstruct the way you live.

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, Quantum_fluctuations said:

Sometimes, mind become silent while doing meditation but it starts becoming chaos once again.

This is a very common question with meditators. Ime, trying to stop thoughts is counter-productive. Notice if you are getting immersed in thoughts. When thinking arises, do you find you self immersed in thinking and “snap out of it”? Or are you an observer, just observing?

Imagine you are meditating in silence and then road construction noise started outside. This would be distracting, yet would you find it bothersome? Would you consider the sound impulses in your brain to be “chaos”? How could you sit in peace with this background noise?

Perhaps consider thoughts to be background chatter or a storm that arises. Calmly recognize that a storm has arisen in the mind. Your awareness does not need to go outside and engage in the storm. It can go deeper inside. There, it can look outside the window and observe the storm - in peace. As well, it can be aware of things inside your home while the storm is ongoing outside. After a while, you may not even notice the storm, or the storm will die down. As well, you may get curious how the storm arose. Where does this storm of thoughts arise from?

Just keep coming back inside to home and observe - whether or not it’s stormy outside.

"If you observe the boiling river, that means you are not drowning in it"

I observe the thoughts throughout the day, concentrating on a place where they come from.  When the mind calms down, I "anchor" my consciousness into the breath, feeling of the whole body.

If it is interesting for you you can read "Power of Now" by Ekhart Tolle

Edited by EugeneTheSage

On 4/13/2019 at 11:44 AM, Quantum_fluctuations said:

My mind is chattering, chattering and chattering.

It was all good few years back, I never noticed that if there is something mind chattering . I was just being myself.

Now, I can see that my mind is so much inefficient and just making my life hell even though there is nothing physically happening to me.

I have everything that a 18 year would reasonably  expect ( not everything, no one in world has).

Is there anyway to get control of this mind?

Now, what? Sometimes, mind become silent while doing meditation but it starts becoming chaos once again.

Hey Quantum,

Meditation is something that everyone has their own opinions on and depending on what your looking for, there are different types.  However as a practitioner of meditation and having been exposed to many teachers opinions, "most" agree that its not about a silencing the mind, but about letting the mind do its thing and not getting caught up in it in a frustrated fashion.  You may find my video on meditation helpful.  It goes over some of your questions. 

Edited by Mu_

Focus on an area of the body with your attention. Btw the throat and the belly button.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.