AlphaAbundance

Feeling afraid while doing Self-Inquiry

7 posts in this topic

While I do the practice intense existential fear comes up and even after all around all the time nonstop. Feelings of confusion, lostness and maybe even terror come up. Some advice, insight and maybe even comfort?

In addition to this feeling of dread, fear of wasting my time doing this and having no "concrete", "real", "life-mattering"  results.

Edited by AlphaAbundance

2 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

Feelings of confusion, looseness and maybe even terror come up.

@AlphaAbundance That's when self-inquiry get interesting hahah , enjoy !

I Think it's natural , investigate it , keep self-inquirying in despite of the fear . 

Of course.

Par for the course.

You can't awaken without facing your greatest fears.

Psychedelics help a lot here. They are the best tool for facing existential fear head on.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I get this too, usually it sort of fades as you let go of that feeling and you transition into a much more accepting place. Just keep at it and push through as best as you can, little by little. 

2 hours ago, AlphaAbundance said:

While I do the practice intense existential fear comes up and even after all around all the time nonstop. Feelings of confusion, lostness and maybe even terror come up. Some advice, insight and maybe even comfort?

Who is the one who is experiencing the fear? Stay as that and allow the fear to pass through unobstructed. Repeated encounters will make it easier to face the fear and they will eventually resolve themselves. Clarity of mind when facing fears is the best tool for dealing with fears because a clear mind will not allow fears to take different shapes and forms, as might be the case with psychedelics. Actually, psychedelics (for the average person) is probably the worst tool for dealing with fear specifically. 

In addition to this feeling of dread, fear of wasting my time doing this and having no "concrete", "real", "life-mattering"  results.

This is for the most part doubt masquerading as fear. Well considering that you don't even understand what enlightenment is or what it's all about, how do you know that it's not going to have concrete results? There are so called results of doing proper spiritual practice, but they are not anything you can imagine. Think of yourself as a explorer going to discover new lands. You know there is going to be discovery for sure, but you have no idea what that discovery is going to be like, and you never will until you actually get there. This doubt is therefore pointless, and non-conducive to the effort.

@AlphaAbundance

From my limited experience the feelings of dread, wasting your life are the points that define the existential terror/fear. Sit with it, don't distract yourself, treat it as you would a crying baby.

6 hours ago, AlphaAbundance said:

You are going in with expectations, don't do it, balancing your life is very important, especially until you get far enough where you will not see any of this as problem and will take action in direction you will know is best for you at that time, take it as way of passing free time and maybe learning something in process. 

Also do not hold to experiences you will get, it will be difficult, but it is very important to be mindful about them, observe what you can learn from them, test if it is something you can test, but do not let them take over your daily life, you do not want to get stuck in some mind games because of how exciting it was.