fridjonk

Does Reading Interfere With Being In The NOW ?

11 posts in this topic

As Sadhguru has said before, that he didn't want to read books on enlightenment and spirituality so he wouldn't clotter his mind with thinking on HOW TO REACH ENLIGHTENMENT and wrong information. It seems to be true in many cases that people do get stuck in ("methods" or "trying to") BE in the now, instead of realizing you are ALREADY in it.  

How do you preserve this from happening ?

Does reading to much hinder you from being in the now ? 

Reading can be immensely beneficial. Your blind spots can really mess you up. Depends on what you read, and your maturity. 

@fridjonk Do you read through the past? The future? No, you can only read through the now.

Getting lost in concepts after reading is an entirely different matter, but reading itself is a very beneficial activity. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@TheAvatarStateReqding becomes an issue when we have been taught to really focus and don’t stop for so and so amount of time

for me this can often turn reading into an action of the past or identity based activity when that subconscious developed technique is triggered

1 hour ago, DrewNows said:

@TheAvatarStateReqding becomes an issue when we have been taught to really focus and don’t stop for so and so amount of time

for me this can often turn reading into an action of the past or identity based activity when that subconscious developed technique is triggered

You're absolutely right. But name one activity that doesn't end up turning harmful (or at least into a hindrance) when done unconsciously. 

The way I see it, reading isn't the problem. HOW you read can potentially be a problem. Try to zoom out and see how this applies to anything that you do. What you are after is consciousness. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Sent from my iEgo

9 minutes ago, TheAvatarState said:

You're absolutely right. But name one activity that doesn't end up turning harmful (or at least into a hindrance) when done unconsciously. 

The way I see it, reading isn't the problem. HOW you read can potentially be a problem. Try to zoom out and see how this applies to anything that you do. What you are after is consciousness. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Thanks. Appreciate your view 

i suppose even doing nothing can become neurotic 

42 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Thanks. Appreciate your view 

i suppose even doing nothing can become neurotic 

?

Here's a fun exercise: journal about "what is an action?" What is the relationship between thought and action?

Sent from my iEgo

A partial perspective might include the idea that language represents things that is isn't, your mind takes an arrangement of squiggles and lines, transforming it into comprehensible language that refers to something. 

So to read and understand do you not have to be in a state of referring to things that are not present right now? 

Although I suppose you can always argue that all this is occurring in the now anyway. 

Edited by Brenzo2

I myself do not have an issue with this but just wanted to hear you people's take on it.  I've had full on god experience often on LSD. But i do continue to read enlightenment books because you can always go deeper, and i'm not even 1% enlightened although I've had profound experiences. Really gotta hit that nail hard to get enlightened permanently.