kieranperez

“What is Belief?” - My Current Contemplation Insights

49 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, tsuki said:

@now is forever I think that @Zigzag Idiot referred to that the energy needs to be spread equally throughout the system.
If it stagnates in the thinking center, it becomes fuel for imagination and it's counter-productive.
There is thinking, feeling and sensing. Don't forget the last one.

Equal distribution fosho. 

Just now, Jack River said:

@tsuki

I’m enjoying your posts man. Great communication skill:D

@Jack River Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Few people seem to resonate with me to the point where they actually respond to my posts. I wonder why -_-.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

6 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@Jack River Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Few people seem to resonate with me to the point where they actually respond to my posts. I wonder why -_-.

You at times seem foreign in communication, but as I have noticed with time I can understand more and more. I think I only have trouble understanding if what is being communicated has to with a certain concept/philosophy or something along those lines. 

Edited by Jack River

5 minutes ago, Jack River said:

You at times seem foreign in communication, but as I have noticed with time I can understand more and more. I think I only have trouble understanding if what is being communicated has to with a certain concept/philosophy or something along those lines. 

@Jack River Is foreignity associated with my use of English, or is it about the concepts that I'm trying to convey?
I could work on the former, but the latter is problematic. All concepts are foreign until we have direct experience of what they point towards.
I'm trying to put them in more practical terms recently.

Thanks for your input :x.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

2 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@Jack River Is foreignity associated with my use of English, or is it about the concepts that I'm trying to convey?
I could work on the former, but the latter is problematic. All concepts are foreign until we have direct experience of what they point towards.
I'm trying to put them in more practical terms recently.

Thanks for your input :x.

For me, I don’t follow mostly when you were speaking of Spinoza or any other philosophical type of stuff. I’m not a reader of txt or anything like that so that goes right over my head..I’m interested in self observational/direct experience. That’s how I was able to understand what you meant in reference to equal distribution or balance of the senses. 

Your welcome my dude? Your a most excellent read. 

@kieranperez Really great existential vocab word to contemplate. Happy to throw my own modeling in.

Existentially, beliefs are just thoughts, appearances in void. But that doesn't give us much practical help in undoing beliefs.

So I'm more interested in investigating the structure of beliefs in the relative domain. Because an understanding of how beliefs are structured should allow for a more systematic approach to deconstructing them.

It seems that beliefs are structured like this: Thoughts are arranged with sufficient complexity to create concepts (so concepts are an emergent property of thought) -> the concepts become beliefs when the individual identifies with the concept, (accepts it).

Individuals identify with concepts when the concept is perceived to have a survival advantage. We absorb concepts like Mario mushrooms  - we do it for practical reasons - once absorbed, it becomes a belief, and Mario can't just regurgitate the mushroom, it's a part of him now. If he wants to get rid of that mushroom, he's going to have to take some damage, it's going to hurt him, it's going to make him less.

(Just as an aside, the belief in truth and falsehood is a meta-filter belief that 'gives us permission' to identify with more concepts. We believe that some things are true and some things are false. This is like a seed belief that grows more and more beliefs, so special attention should be paid to it.)

When you know that someone is trying to manipulate you, you're in a much more empowered position to resist being manipulated. So by understanding that beliefs are just concepts which we have identified with, for the purpose of our own self-survival, we recognize that every belief we have is a pressure point, where our mind is manipulating us.

So we take things step by step. First, we have to create a gap between us and the belief by understanding that it's just a concept. If it doesn't feel like 'just a concept', it feels like truth, that okay, we don't beat ourselves up for it. We do copious research on different concepts and perspectives in the same domain. When we only have 1 concept, of course that concept feels true! It's like if you only had one pet fish, that's my fish. It's special. So we accumulate many different concepts and perspectives in the same domain (other ways it could be), and do deep research into all of them, to the point that they all feel plausible. Now your only fish that felt so special, becomes just another fish in a massive school of fish. It doesn't feel special anymore. It doesn't have the same power over you. You've elevated your perspective, taken a few steps back and realized that there never was anything special about that fish, we just had our face pressed to the glass so hard that we couldn't see the school - we were myopic. 

And once that one fish feels less special, we become a little confused. Wait - why did that fish feel so special in the first place again? We almost forget. Oh fuck! Yeah it was because the fish seduced me! By promising that it would make me more popular, more powerful, more intelligent, that I would know the knowledge of good and evil and… wtf! That fish is a snake!!

Edited by Robby

@kieranperez

Belief in the simplest language, is a layer, an imaginary mask upon the face of Truth that we, humans, confuse for Truth.

Edited by Truth Addict

I wasn't looking for conceptual answers with this post LOL

I posted this with the intent to share a potentially potent and effective contemplation with those who are struggling moving beyond belief into true deep not knowing.

I'm not looking for written conceptual answers. Whatever you or I write is not the truth and doesn't make a damn bit of difference as far as becoming conscious goes. Appreciate the intent from those of you aren't coming from the place of being some non-dual keyboard warrior but yeah, not looking for theories or explanations. 

You can't tell someone what a belief is at the end of the day and have that really make a difference in their direct experience.

Edited by kieranperez