dude

Waking up on time

21 posts in this topic

what's up!

So for a long time I tried to wake up on time but I find it really hard. I was wondering if you had any tips for waking up on time (or maby even earlier).

I do have two alarm clock's but I don't seem to have any willpower when I wake up.

peace

Put your alarm clock in the bathroom.

Edited by A way to Actualize
Grammatics

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

I too have struggled with this in the past.

I guess what it boils down to is overall well-being. Are you struggling to get up because your diet sucks or you drink alcohol at night (which disturbs sleep)? Get enough exercise? Get to bed early enough or even sleeping too long? Struggle to get to sleep then maybe look into meditation and quieting the mind?

I used a method I adapted from one prescribed by Steve Pavlina and it was (and still is) SUPER effective for me. I used to snooze my alarm several dozen times before I gathered the willpower to get out of bed. Now I wake up full of energy and momentum for the day ahead.

This will take about an hour amd is best done when you are kinda sleepy. Here's what you do:

1. Do whatever night time ritual you do before going to bed
  2. Set your alarm for 5 minutes away.
  3. Lay in bed as you would if you were about to go to sleep and tell yourself repeatedly "when that alarm goes off, I'm jumping straight out of bed" . 
  4. When the alarm goes off, do what you told yourself you were gonna do, jump the hell out of bed. 
  5. (Optional) I found it handy to now go and do what I do as soon as I get up in the morning. For example: start to brush your teeth, go and put the kettle of ready to brew up some tea...
  6. REPEAT 5-10 times

Then you can go about your business for the day. When you go to bed that night you should once again keep telling yourself "I'm getting out of this bed as soooon as that fucking alarm rings. No. Matter. What."

What you'll find, if you get similar success to what I got, that when that alarm goes off in the morning, your body will drag you out of bed almost instantaniously.

The great thing is that method is it delegates the waking up to your subconscious mind, meaning you are no longer placing all you hope on your willpower, which is flawed as fuck in those early hours of the day.

However effective this method is, bare on mind that it is mearly a plaster (bandaid for all ye Americans) over the issue. If you want to get to the root of it you should make sure you find a passion and purpose that fills you with energy and excitement at the thought of waking up and working towards it.

I find the nightime routine is the most important part.  One of my goals for 2016 is to start waking up at 6:00.  To avoid the pain I just went to sleep earlier 

Also to be honest, I would use redbull in the morning to give me a jumpstart to the day.  Not the most healthy or long term solution, but I found that it can work.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

This will take about an hour amd is best done when you are kinda sleepy. Here's what you do:

3. Lay in bed as you would if you were about to go to sleep and tell yourself repeatedly "when that alarm goes off, I'm jumping straight out of bed" . 
  4. When the alarm goes off, do what you told yourself you were gonna do, jump the hell out of bed. 
  5. (Optional) I found it handy to now go and do what I do as soon as I get up in the morning. For example: start to brush your teeth, go and put the kettle of ready to brew up some tea...
  6. REPEAT 5-10 times

Thanks for the detailed response Harry!

I read the article from Steve Pavlina I'am going to try it immediately this night, in a two weeks I will report back on this forum if it works.

This is the link to the article: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/ if anyone wants to try the same.

If you sleep well it is not a problem. But my problem is that every night I can't sleep and I am staying late at night awake and then I can't get up in the morning. 

I am sleepy all day and when I come home after Uni, I can't be productive nor do anything because I'm super tired and I have to sleep.

@clytaemnestra I had that too a couple months ago try this:

When you go to sleep just focus in on your breath and when you do it for a couple of minutes your mind will clear than just keep focusing on your breath untill you sleep. This trick helped me loads.

I felt like this last week

You just may not be feeling very optimistic or happy with life and everything you have to do in the day, I would wake up thinking "what's the point".

From that the first thing to do would be to change your mindset about everything, It certainly helps to listen, read or watch something inspiring as soon as you wake up

I know people say don't check your phone first thing in the morning, but I think if you do it to do something inspiring instead of draining, that helps a lot

I seriously just get up. Lucky for me, I realized as a teenager how dumb it was to set my alarm hours early just so I could hit snooze three more times! If I allow myself even a moment to think about anything before I get out of bed, it's hard to get up. So, when the alarm goes off, I sit up, turn it off, get up and start the day. 

Make sure to put your alarm on the other side of the room, so you have to get out at bed. Don't get back in and snooze. 

Create a morning ritual, plan things that you can look forward to, such as a nice breakfast (smoothy!) and run (love it).

I get up at 5 AM since the beginning of this year. At least a try, I succeed on 5 or 6 days every week, so quite please with this score :)

On February 7, 2016 at 6:02 PM, dude said:

what's up!

So for a long time I tried to wake up on time but I find it really hard. I was wondering if you had any tips for waking up on time (or maby even earlier).

I do have two alarm clock's but I don't seem to have any willpower when I wake up.

peace

Try the sleep cycle app. It helped me. 

One more suggestion, stand upside down for 1 minute. 

When you wake up, do you start thinking right away of something that might be unmotivating you in your day? At one point of my life i found myself thinking alot of things that now i know i had no control over, stupid things that i spent alot of time thinking about trying to find a solution because i could not accept having no solution for an answer. It was all in the mind. I have been working on self actualizing for a few months now and this morning problem and thoughts are becoming less of a problem. 

I know there is a topic on waking up on time, but here I want to focus on the question of why waking up EARLY should be beneficial to my life. To me it seems that there is a broad consensus in the self-development scene that waking up early e.g. helps you to get shit done. But for a healthy life, you have to catch your 8 hours sleep anyways, so whats the point in, say, waking up at 6 am and go to sleep at 10 pm, or waking up at 9 am and go to bed at 1 am? Shouldn't I find my own rhythm compatible with my work and social environment instead of forcing myself dogmatically to wake up at 6 am?

Yes, you are right. You need a program (schedule) for yourself, that includes 8 hours of sleep. Think about why would you wake up early? What's the reason you wake up early?

Does waking up early helps you in a way? Contemplate at it!

On 2/8/2016 at 1:11 AM, Harry said:

6. REPEAT 5-10 times

Damn, I used that a few times before and I thought I had invented a new hack for getting up. Turns out Steve Pavlina came up with it before I did.

Thanks for the assurance Vlad! Thought I might be missing something. Nightlife has so much to offer (I'm a student) and I barely see the point in giving up all that just because I want to do my meditation+affirmation+workout routine before I go to work/university (I want to keep a constant rhythm). How do you guys handle that, especially at the weekend? Or do you justnever go out at night? :)

It is because of the way your body reacts to light. Darkness prompts the production of melatonin, which makes you sleepy and morning light the production of norepinephrine, which is responsible for the "fight or flight" reaction. Obviously there is more to it, but that's why it's ideal to wake up at around 7. In general you will feel better. I know I do.

As long as it's the "morning" I think it's fine. I've had days I went to sleep at 5am, woke up at 13-15 and it sucks.

Edited by JustTom

17 hours ago, Locomike said:

When you wake up, do you start thinking right away of something that might be unmotivating you in your day? At one point of my life i found myself thinking alot of things that now i know i had no control over, stupid things that i spent alot of time thinking about trying to find a solution because i could not accept having no solution for an answer. It was all in the mind. I have been working on self actualizing for a few months now and this morning problem and thoughts are becoming less of a problem. 

@Locomike

Good point, if you think of the things that drive you and inspire you as soon as you wake up,  you're gonna naturally want to get up quickly because you're so excited about what to accomplish in the day