Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ampresus

Does food affect meditation?

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Weeks ago I decided to go to the library and see what they got there. I came across the ''Mindfulness for Dummies'' book and saw right at the beginning a list of tips. One of those tips was something like: ''Try not to eat 2 hours before you meditate''. Since then I have always been wondering if I could meditate right after dinner.

I always come home late and when I come I immediately eat. After that I start doing my own business. I always meditate in the night, but I realized that all the so-called mystical states I had were probably me being on the edge of falling asleep. Now that I want to meditate more in the afternoon, I was wondering if I should eat later just so I can meditate properly. What are your thoughts?

@Ampresus The more blood supply your gut takes the less is left for the brain. It's not a super big deal but if you wanna really optimize your meditation, then yeah, it makes sense to meditate when your body isn't busy digesting, like it is just after having eaten, esp if you eat heavy meals).

Edited by Markus

Depends. If you want to meditate ”up in your head” then its good to have an empty stomach. If youre feeling full and drowsy then you can meditate on the body/that feeling. :)

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Meditate all day all time whatever you do

No problem anymore.

?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

4 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Why are you meditating? 

@Nahm Two reasons:

I always wanted to do it, but never knew how and when. When I discovered actualized.org and heard Leo talk about how meditation is crucial for growth, I immediately looked to some of his tutorials and started. Basically because Leo said so.

I want to have an advantage later in life that most teens won’t have. When I asked on this forum about meditation, many people said that it would pay off after a few years. Especially for a teen like me.

4 minutes ago, Nahm said:

What will the advantage be? 

@Nahm Besides spiritually growing, I don’t know. Maybe ending up high in the Spiral when I am older?

12 hours ago, David Hammond said:

@Ampresus I think meditation is best done in the morning on an empty stomach and refreshed from a nights sleep. I'm always too tired in the evening that I end up just falling asleep. 

I second this

Keto is amazing for meditation if you can adapt to ketogenesis fast.

Your brain will run on ketones instead of glucose, so no spikes just a steady supply.