moon777light

I got arches in my feet by doing yoga daily

20 posts in this topic

Anyone who has flat feet out there, ive had flat feet my whole life and i started yoga (especially barefoot yoga) few months now and i literally have arches in my feet. DO ITTT

1 hour ago, moon777light said:

Anyone who has flat feet out there, ive had flat feet my whole life and i started yoga (especially barefoot yoga) few months now and i literally have arches in my feet. DO ITTT

How is that even possible do you think?  (Fellow flat footer)

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

Why would you want arches? Flat foot is best!

I'd love to have flat feet again like when we were kids.

B R E A T H E

Thank you for posting this. The amount of advice I give towards people who have weak feet (which is pretty much almost everybody in the world these days) who complain about fallen arches, have chronic foot injuries (and injuries as a whole for that matter), etc. is all geared towards this: DEVELOP THE MUSCLES IN THE FOOT. YOU CAN BUILD AN ARCH.

I definitely would confine this too Yoga because physical yoga is just one way of doing it as far as system. Really what we’re talking about is build the muscles in the foot. 

If we saw in the West what a healthy human foot looked like, it would seem shocking. 

@zambize the same way it’s possible for a man who weighs 400 pounds to lose all that weight. Fallen arches are not a natural thing. Just like being 300 pounds is not a natural thing. People “who are born with it” or like 0.01% of the population. Human beings, from a physiological standpoint, are designed to run LONG distances. No I don’t mean a marathon. I mean 50 miles, 100 miles+ at a time. The entirely leg is a spring. The arch is a spring. It’s whats absorbs shock. The plantar fascia of the foot when it’s strong is designed to absorb shock from the bottom of the foot, through Achilles, calf, all the way through the glutes and back. 

@pluto there is no evidence of that at all. If you look at kid whose active barefoot, he has a strong arch. A flat foot is an atrophied foot. 

Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, STRENGTH AND MOBILITY

Edited by kieranperez

1 hour ago, kieranperez said:

Thank you for posting this. The amount of advice I give towards people who have weak feet (which is pretty much almost everybody in the world these days) who complain about fallen arches, have chronic foot injuries (and injuries as a whole for that matter), etc. is all geared towards this: DEVELOP THE MUSCLES IN THE FOOT. YOU CAN BUILD AN ARCH.

I definitely would confine this too Yoga because physical yoga is just one way of doing it as far as system. Really what we’re talking about is build the muscles in the foot. 

If we saw in the West what a healthy human foot looked like, it would seem shocking. 

@zambize the same way it’s possible for a man who weighs 400 pounds to lose all that weight. Fallen arches are not a natural thing. Just like being 300 pounds is not a natural thing. People “who are born with it” or like 0.01% of the population. Human beings, from a physiological standpoint, are designed to run LONG distances. No I don’t mean a marathon. I mean 50 miles, 100 miles+ at a time. The entirely leg is a spring. The arch is a spring. It’s whats absorbs shock. The plantar fascia of the foot when it’s strong is designed to absorb shock from the bottom of the foot, through Achilles, calf, all the way through the glutes and back. 

@pluto there is no evidence of that at all. If you look at kid whose active barefoot, he has a strong arch. A flat foot is an atrophied foot. 

Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, Strength and mobility, STRENGTH AND MOBILITY

Well that's good to know, I kind of assumed it was just how it was for me, when I get home I'll look for some yoga techniques to see if I would benefit from them, thank you <3

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

@zambize read Born to Run by Christopher McDougal. It’s a little black and white but an inspiring read. Think Carlos Castaneda but with running . 

On 3/19/2019 at 7:30 AM, moon777light said:

thanks for sharing! wow interesting. 

4 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@kieranperez could someone with flat feet be more prone to knee problems with like distance running? 

I wouldn’t say it’s a direct correlation to the per say but you have to see the body as a system. When you’re feet out of shape to the point of attrophy (aka flat feet), you’re feet can’t function the way they’re supposed to and absorb shock sufficiently. That’s going to translate into everything going up the chain. That’s not to say that that’s all because you’re feet are weak. That could just be one point of the problem. 

I’d bet my life savings that you probably have horrendous running form (that’s nothing on you, most people... pretty close to everybody these days have terrible running mechanics for a myriad of different reasons). I’m not talking about pronoation. I’m talking about knee drive, how you drive your arms, are you crossing your center of mass, are you overextending (heel striking), do you have a slight forward lean leading from your hips and core, do your knees cave inwards or poke out laterally, hows your hip mobility and rotation, how strong are your glutes, how much are they being utilized, do you do strength work, what kind of strength work, is it functional towards running or you just doing it blindly doing irrelevant exercises, hows your cadence, what’s your relationship to the ground like, do you pull the ground under you when you run, hows your trail leg, etc.

I can keep going if I wanted to. This is not to say be some neurotic perfectionist because no one has perfect form because we don’t have perfect a-symmetry. Look at any pro and point to me a single one in the last 100 years that has perfect point for point a-symmetry. But most people still run awful.

Most people go into running only through running and are surprised by how much they get hurt. It’s like if went into a hardcore Zen Sesshin with 13 hour sits without having established my posture and have never meditated and eat junk food. Good luck not collapsing. 

@kieranperez so it can be a contributing factor...yeah it’s interesting. I was asking hypothetically. I’m also familiar with mobility strength training and running posture

@DrewNows to counterbalance all the stuff I said  on mechanics, don’t be too much of a reductionist about it. 

1 minute ago, kieranperez said:

@DrewNows to counterbalance all the stuff I said  on mechanics, don’t be too much of a reductionist about it. 

Ok. I was curious about your opinion :) thanks man 

@kieranperez Personally i don’t have flat feet but I guess it does affect running as that’s why they sell arch support :D 

professional athletes do not run aweful however. There body will adapt to their particular activity 

Edited by DrewNows

23 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@kieranperez Personally i don’t have flat feet but I guess it does affect running as that’s why they sell arch support :D 

professional athletes do not run aweful however. There body will adapt to their particular activity 

There are plenty of professional runners who have terrible running form. Good example are plenty of the Ethiopians and Kenyans. 

Yeah, don’t buy arch inserts. Invest your time in taking responsibility of your mechanics and foundational strength and mobility work and learning this stuff. 

12 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

There are plenty of professional runners who have terrible running form. Good example are plenty of the Ethiopians and Kenyans. 

Would you say for their body’s it becomes an adjustment which they turn into their personal best performance style of running sort of like a pro golfers swing or does it have greater potential for injury over time and reduced performance? 

@kieranperez Who knows, I just remember i used to have flat feet as a kid then when i started to wear sports shoes with high soles i eventually formed an arch and Scoliosis(curved spine) over time due to wearing shoes with soles. We are meant to walk bare feet thus why nowadays more barefoot shoes are coming out because of the importance of the spine. Spine is like the CPU of the body. Healthy spine = Healthy body thus why Yoga and similar Arts are very important today.

B R E A T H E

flat feet leads to problem with knees, achilles tendinitis, shin splits, plantar fasciitis, etc. People who live one with nature all have arches in their feet. If you look at any documentary with tribes look at therre feet and youll see. 

12 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@moon777light which postures did you practice?

amazing achievement btw, congratulations :)

thanks :D, i think the ones that contributed the most are all the standing postures. Eagle pose, tree pose, dancer pose, half moon. because in balance poses like those you need to put your weight on the outside of your foot and so you build strength there. If you try to do a balance pose while having flat foot youll fall. And what made a world of a difference to me is doing it PROPERLY. i was doing yoga on and off before this for like 4 years but only off of youtube channels. But i always had flat feet during those years. It then changed when i went to actual classes of traditional yoga. On youtube channels its hard to concentrate on getting right posture, no one is there to correct you and most of the time your focused on what theyre doing on the video rather than what you are doing. 

@kieranperez what other exercises are good regarding building the arch?

@plutofor scoliosis its important to strengthen your back muscles. Once they are strong they will naturally pull the curved spine into place. Not 100% completely, but significantly.

@moon777light What kind of traditional yoga you started to do? I'm interested, even tho I have arches. And congratz! :)