Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Tarpall

[Insight] Being and doing are not opposites

7 posts in this topic

You can be while you do. And that's a good thing because if you focus on what you're doing you're more effective at what you're doing. And you enjoy it more. I think the happiest human being is always busy and productive but it doesn't feel like work to him. Or to her. 

Edited by Eric Tarpall

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Interesting. ^_^ I resonate with your insight. You can wash plates and be mindful.

But once one wise man told me: "Never forget that all doing is keeping us from being."
Interesting, what he meant?

Probably, the meanings attached to "doing" are completely different in these insights. 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

@Eric Tarpall in a way it is, because "doing" implies subject/object duality, while "being" implies one-ness and unity. But these are two qualitatively different terms. You can be with or without doing, and you can do with or without being. They're not mutually exclusive, they're not related, which means they can't be "opposites."

Here's an insight: "Being" adds a wonderful flavor to "doing" (as you mentioned), but "doing" adds nothing to "being." Hmmmmm. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

8 hours ago, TheAvatarState said:

"doing" adds nothing to "being."

I don't know. I enjoy movement more than stillness usually. If I can choose to stare at a picture of a waterfall for 1 hour or look at a 1 hour video of a moving waterfall, I would choose the video. Or actually go to a real waterfall for 1 hour that would be even better. 

7 hours ago, Anton Rogachevski said:

The enlightened one does many things, while not doing anything at all.

You mean like baking eggs while jerking off? 

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

@Eric Tarpall Action in the spirit of non-action my friend, its a beautiful thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei

The thing is, for every waking moment of our lives existence/reality/(our consciousness) is in a state we did nothing to create. If the past and feature don't really exist, then all we live in is an uncaused present moment.  I am just not "aware" of this fact most of the time. And the extent to which we are aware of this fact is the extent to which life and existence feels effortless and amazing. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.