CreamCat

Stop trying to defend your pet theory against every little criticism.

13 posts in this topic

It's frustrating to me. You take yourself and every little criticism so seriously. You think you are intelligent. You are not intelligent because you take every little criticism seriously and spend hours on defending your pet theory against them. Stop trying to defend yourself and your pet theories so much. That's stupid.

Watch this video if you haven't. Embody this video.

Edited by CreamCat

Everybody does this, even people who say they don't.  

I watch everybody on the Forum do this.  This is all we do on here actually.

So let's not have unrealistic standards.  

Every Ego wants to "know the truth" and to benefit from "knowing the truth".

One of the things I'm realizing about Enlightenment Work is it encourages a certain kind of wishful thinking where you are encouraged to take seriously things that your Ego will never actually do.  I can spot that stuff like a hawk now and it all runs counter to Personal Development Work.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

There's a very primitive reason for keeping people in check which we do and sometimes it is very good. Because this is so close to our identity we do it a lot. So this is why I think it's good to learn how there's more than that, a higher sense of understanding available to us

4 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Everybody does this, even people who say they don't.  

I watch everybody on the Forum do this.  This is all we do on here actually.

Recently, I directly became aware that doing so is stupid. I was thinking why I was even trying a little bit to defend myself against lazy criticisms. Many people are not aware enough to realize stupidity of defending yourself and your theory against criticisms.

I think intelligence can be measured in terms of how many stupid things you do every day. This is a more reliable measure of general intelligence than IQ. It's hard to raise IQ, but you can raise general intelligence by not doing stupid things like being spiteful and being depressed over ex-girl friends and getting anxious over criticisms.

Nassim Taleb gave a second meaning to `Via Negativa` which involves not doing stupid things and avoiding downsides.

The entire idea of *via negativa* is that *omission* [avoidance of harm, removal of drugs, corn syrup, cigarettes, gluten, carbs (by fasting), gym instructors, tail risks, etc.] does not have side effects and branching chains of unintended consequences -hence robust. But big corporations [evil pharma, pepsi] and consultants cannot make money from removing; they only benefit from adding.

Edited by CreamCat

4 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

So let's not have unrealistic standards.

I've seen some people who rise above seemingly unrealistic standards. It could be a limiting belief. I've seen them enjoy good criticisms and bad criticisms rather than react to them in the moment. It was inspiring. They are the truly intelligent ones who don't waste their time on stupid things.

Measure your intelligence by awareness of your own stupidity and your ability to stop doing stupid things. If you are not aware of your own stupidity, you are not intelligent. If you can't stop doing stupid shit, you are not intelligent. You're just a lazy human being who thinks you are intelligent.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat

It's ironic that you seem to be the one on the criticism tear here.  See how this works?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

6 hours ago, CreamCat said:

It's frustrating to me. You take yourself and every little criticism so seriously. You think you are intelligent. You are not intelligent because you take every little criticism seriously and spend hours on defending your pet theory against them. Stop trying to defend yourself and your pet theories so much.

No.

I tended to repeat conversations over and over in my mind. I wondered for a long time why I was doing it. Today, I became aware that I was actually defending myself against criticisms over and over in my imagination. This is stupid. Defending myself or my self image against criticisms over and over in my imagination is stupid. I was caught in a stupid loop.

After realizing that, the chatters in my mind became quiet.

It's stupid to defend yourself against criticisms on internet forums. It's even stupider to defend yourself against criticisms in imagination. If you are defending yourself against criticisms in your imagination, you are fighting with yourself, which is stupid. Let your self image hurt. Let yourself hurt. Don't be afraid of dying in your verbal games.

Edited by CreamCat

9 hours ago, CreamCat said:

Today, I became aware that I was actually defending myself against criticisms over and over in my imagination. This is stupid. Defending myself or my self image against criticisms over and over in my imagination is stupid. I was caught in a stupid loop.

Holy shit, I have been wondering where this behavior came from for so long! Recently I became aware of my loop-thinking, and it didn't take long to become aware of how that repeating negative situations in my mind works like affirmation (Meditation FTW) so I have been steering off of this behavior. I always knew it came from somewhere negative, but now I finally understand where my compulsive thinking comes!

Im definitely going to go deeper into this subject. Thanks

Edited by Hansu

A tip if you struggle with this, is if you can edit or delete your posts, like on FB...let your ego run wild with your arguement so that it gets down "on paper", let it insult the poster, get it ALL out of your system.

Post it.

Then delete it instantly.

Note; this won't work on reddit because if you change the reddit url to ceddit, it will show deleted posts (including moderator deletions which is always a laugh)

But as said, you should try and ignore the thoughts in the first place.

8 hours ago, Hansu said:

Holy shit, I have been wondering where this behavior came from for so long! Recently I became aware of my loop-thinking, and it didn't take long to become aware of how that repeating negative situations in my mind works like affirmation (Meditation FTW) so I have been steering off of this behavior. I always knew it came from somewhere negative, but now I finally understand where my compulsive thinking comes!

Im definitely going to go deeper into this subject. Thanks

Think of yourself as a video game character. Die as many times as you need to level up. Don't be afraid of dying in your game. Be willing to die.

Die!

Edited by CreamCat

So CreamCat, I debated whether to post this, it said the well cannot be changed and that I should just keep on giving, which made me think twice, especially because I thought what I divined was racist from a saint's perspective and dressed in white, why I keep hustling for enlightenment I don't know, but at the very least I'd like to reach stage yellow, thanks for that Leo! Not saying I wouldn't use spiral dynamics myself if I could etc. etc. but I spoke too much as it was, and I guess what you want to know is the difference between a matrix and a vector space. Credits are meaningless, it's money that counts so if you have a contract with someone I'd appreciate a payment since y'all saying :(

I'll tell you what the id says.

Most people who study maths just memorize a few techniques and slogans and then go into banking where they forget everything they learned and just count the odds.

Real maths is for priests, hierophants, babaleyos whatever you want to call them.

Most will be on a very low level.

You won't make any money even if you're at a university.

I doubt you will even be able to keep the peace let alone bring people together.

If you're lucky you will get to work on what you want.

But you might have to pay.

Start with the history of maths and move on from there.

Otherwise what you are trying to do is 1 in a billion.

In fact, only Ramanujan managed it to the level you are asking and he never married.

There's nothing wrong with hip hop if you like language.

By all means calculate your market.

Just try not to sell slaves.

You're better than that.

i think this comes the more you realize that being is not conceptual and that being is actually accessed when you get away from concepts and get away from distractions.