SQAAD

Is it Better to have 0 Expectations about Life?

10 posts in this topic

Is it better to have zero expectations about anything in life? Life is very chaotic, messy and things don't usually go as our egos would like them to go. 

Don't misunderstand me though. I still have visions, goals and working hard towards by life purpose.

But on the other hand i accept the uncertainty involved will all those things. Nothing is guaranteed as far as i am concerned and my ultimate goal is to become completely detached from anything that life throws at me.

What's you take on that? Do you have many expectations about your life?

Good question to contemplate ?.

I’d say the only thing my mind-body can ground itself in is whatever is happening right now. My only true expectation is that whatever is happening now is happening now. 

When I introduce an expectation into the unknown future, it invites an energy. I wouldn’t say the energy is necessarily unhealthy. It depends on the degree of attachment to the expectation and the underlying intention fueling the energy, For example, the energy could be expressed in subtly manipulative ways to steer things toward an expectation within the timeline.

@SQAAD oh damn...this is a good question. I know within meditation and self enquiry, to hold any kind of expectation or prediction or projection of what you are (as opposed to direct experience) isint good for practise.

See honestly mate...I don't plan much in advance at all. I live very VERY passively regarding what happens to me. I believe part of this might stem from a little laziness ?. I do have small expectations and future plans, but most of it is just feeling the energy of the present and literally not thinking about anything. 

A bit thing to remember is the only thing you need to remember (other than do spiritual practises) is remember the more you let go and allow yourself to discover the truth...you shall know the truth and the *truth* shall set you free. Do not lean heavily on questions like this. 

Matthew 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” - The Bible

One thing I will say is, do not try to control the mind this is a trap. Since, to "try" to do anything...*requires* the use of your mind, when you *try* to do anything you instantly let go of your special nature and become a human mind again. While I acknowledge that I'm a be wrong, the best advice I would give to you would be: neither try to have expectations, or not to have expectations. Only observe the one who fabricated the question, and also who the one is here is observing the question right now.

@SQAAD  there was once a man who was discussing his next life decision with god... The mam said "okay god, I have a choice...either I go to Cambridge University or Oxford University. Which one should I attend?" God replied with "Oxford University will be best".

The man spent six months at Oxford University and absolutely detested every second of it. After 6 months he decided to leave and he asked God, "God, why did you tell me to go to Oxford University if you knew I was going to hate it?"

God replied by saying, "i didn't want you to go to either, I wanted you somewhere completely different...but you gave me to choices and I gave you the best between the two...there was no other option." 

Moral of the story is, sometimes having expectations in advance can be a bad thing, they can misdirect you and limit you.

Edited by Aaron p

@SQAAD another example of how expectations can misdirect and limit you is taken from the passage of Luke chapter 4 in the Bible. Jesus' disciples are struggling to catch any kind of fish at all and (with having no luck at all), in verse 4, Jesus tells them to let their *nets* on the other side of the boat. (Going by the 'King James' version of the Bible) then in verse 5 one of Jesus' disciples (Simon) said that he will let down his *net* and in verse 6 it says that Simon's *net* broke. This is subtle.

Notice how (in this translation) Jesus is seen to have instructed his disciples to cast out their *nets* (plural) in verse 4, but in verse 5 and 6 it says that Simon cast out a *net* (non plural) and then the net broke in verse 6.

Because Simon was having no luck with catching fish, when this miraculous opportunity came to him he did not *expect* there to be any great amount of fish...and therefore did NOT cast out the nets, but instead...cast out *a* net. And because his expectations were too small...his net broke and he lost some of his "divine catch." If you do not expect to get enlightened...then I don't think it's possible...maybe just a hell of a lot harder. It's like the energy you carry into the start of the trip determines what the trip is like. These are good little pointings and examples of how to use (or let go of) your power of expectation... understanding what it means 

Expectations can lead to disappointments, so yes. You can make plans, just don't be attached to the plans. With some awakening experiences, you'll see that everything is in flux, out of your control. Knowing that, you see the only thing you can do is be present in the moment. Expectations are all ego, thought arising in the mind.  

It's simple don't overcomplicate it. 

If you have  a problem you want to solve then figure a way to solve it. (example money issues). 

If you can't solve it then come to terms with it, (example death of a loved one). 

There isn't much else you can do. 

Coming to terms with your own death is liberation. 

Becareful with having no expections, it can easily lead to being too passive and nihilistic. 

For Example no expections in dating just doesn't work. You want someone who at least has similar values as you. 

Edited by alankrillin

@Aaron p This story proves your point.

Neither to expect, neither not to expect.

That's a game changer.

Thanks.