Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShugendoRa

How is TM a cult?

10 posts in this topic

bump

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

TM ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin transendental meditation my brother 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

they make you pay a ridiculous amount of money (1000$) to learn their super secret way of meditating. You have to learn it only through a person that is TM teacher certified. The meditation i believe is just you chanting a mantra over and over. The reason why its so special is they give you a mantra thats only for you and no one else. In reality you can do this with any word you make up.

2 minutes ago, moon777light said:

they make you pay a ridiculous amount of money (1000$) to learn their super secret way of meditating. You have to learn it only through a person that is TM teacher certified. The meditation i believe is just you chanting a mantra over and over. The reason why its so special is they give you a mantra thats only for you and no one else. In reality you can do this with any word you make up.

Doesn't necessarily make it a cult though more of a scam if anything, I don't know a great deal about it so just going off what you said 

@Consept basically :D 

it is in a way legit, since the meditation works and people can get metaphysical experiences of some sort, its just a question of why charge people 1000$ for something that they can learn on youtube for free, or for cheap through a book or class. and why trademark a meditation technique? 

Heres a good video: Another youtuber said that the TM people tried to sue him after he revealed what a scam it was. 

Edited by moon777light

Oh ok ?

So much bs ??

Meditation is literally just being aware of your breath until you can just focus on being aware of awareness ????

Any methods that are more complicated than this are always taught from people asking you money.

Coincidence ?

??

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

TM introduced meditation to the west back in the 70's. At the time it was kind of a fringe thing of intrest to ppl who had a first awakening with lsd or shrooms and wanted to explore spirituality but without external help. The mind set was something like " How can I stay at that level of consciousness all the time?"  So TM was the answer.

It was always expensive. I went to an intro course in the late 70's and the fee was about $500US back then. Today Dr's sometimes offer TM to help with stress reduction, high BP ect. because it's proven effective by the science community. There were just a hand full of mantras that where used at first but over the years they added more that were customized to certain age, sex, personality type by a personal instructor. My hunch is part of the reason they charge so much is so you stay on your daily meditation practice long enough to start to see some results. If they charged say $50 most ppl would probally quit in the first week without giving it a chance. With TM it's 20 mins. mantra meditation twice a day. Membership is for a lifetime so you can do a check up with an instructor whenever needed.