Lorcan

How Do Highschool "exam Results" Matter?

17 posts in this topic

How do exam results effect my life?

I want an honest answer, non biased answer.

It seems to me, the point of exams in the first place is so the government can see what results people Are getting and see if they reach the standard as such.But in all honesty, how will if effect my life?

Is it one of those things that it will only effect you if you let it?

Dont get me wrong, I love education. I dislike school however (It seriously needs a reform, I myself could personally reform it with a new functional system that would be way more effective at increasing intelligence yet happier for the kids)

So how will High school exam results effect my life.

I want the TRUTH. That means , if the Answer happens to be "school exam results effect your life little" , dont be afraid to tell me so, thinking that if you do tell me that school results dont matter that I will end up  a couch potato who doesnt learn anything .

So please be straight and make no assumptions what you comment to me that it will influence me to do anything stupid. 

Thank you :D

Edited by Lorcan

In a broad sense they don't really matter (although they might help you know the difference between affect and effect, joking). I dont believe they'll stop you from doing anything you want to do, obviously they need you to think they otherwise they become pointless. 

But the real answer is it depends, it depends on what you want to do, so if you want to be a doctor you will need certain grades and qualifications for that, you do t necessarily need to do it at school but it's a lot easier and cheaper to do it that way. 

On the other hand if you wanted to start your own business you can learn everything you need to from other sources. Even normal jobs where qualifications are preferred rather than required, if you have a good understanding of psychology and what people look for or really food experience you'd still have a good chance. 

So really it's about using school as a tool rather than the be all and end all 

@Lorcan  If you find out how to get a non biased answer, let me know. I am interested.

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

16 hours ago, Lorcan said:

I find the whole subject of education a contentious one. They teach a lot of useless shit in schools and colleges. They also tell you a lot of shit about how good grades and qualifications will get you fantastic jobs and careers.

The reality is a bit different.

As Consept said above, it depends what you want to do. You don't get good jobs and careers from getting good exam results. You get good jobs and careers from getting good exam results AND doing all the other stuff you need to do, gaining the experience, doing the extracurricular work and research etc, networking, applying for 100s of vacancies, getting yourself known, starting at the bottom and working your way in over years etc etc etc that most people don't do.

You can get fantastic exam results and never find work because the results on their own don't mean shit. I've been to endless interviews waving my relavent qualifications and good grades only later to be told that "someone else had more experience". Experience seems to be the key these days. How do you get experience without a job in the first place? Good question. Getting out there and doing stuff. It's commitment that gets you in to careers, not so much exam results.

Conversely, you can fail all your exams but happen across the right person or place at the right time and get an apprentiship or training position which later leads to bigger and better things.

There's no real answer to your question. The results in your life come down to what you want to do and the comitment and effort you put towards it. Whether that requires exam results or not depends on what you want.

It is a myth that getting good grades = getting good jobs. There are so many people wandering around with 'good grades' and diplomas that you're just one in a crowd of other people, indestiguishable from yourself. Most businesses these days couldn't care less about grades and certifiactes because everyone's got them. So they look for experience or uniqueness. What stands out and looks promising.

So, exam results may not affect your life at all, or they may affect it in a big way. But, to be honest, just on their own I doubt they would make any significant difference. It's what else you do besides or in conjunction with them that makes the difference.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

'The education that exists in the world is not true education. True education will be a help towards enlightenment because it will make you more meditative, more silent, more aware, more inward-looking. The education that exists in the world makes you more ambitious, outward-looking, more egoistic, more superficial. It gives you all kinds of wrong values. It is a kind of poisoning. It does not help you, in any way, to be yourself. It is destructive. It helps you to be somebody else, and that’s its very destructive foundation. It is a poisoning, but so slow that you never become aware. It begins the day you are born and it goes on slowly slowly destroying you, distracting you from your nature.'

'A real education will not teach you to compete; it will teach you to cooperate. It will not teach you to fight and come first. It will teach you to be creative, to be loving, to be blissful, without any comparison with the other. It will not teach you that you can be happy only when you are the first. That is sheer nonsense. You can’t be happy just by being first. And in trying to be first you go through such misery that you become habituated to misery by the time you become the first.'

- OSHO 

D.H. Lawrence was very much against your so-called education — it is not education, it is mis-education. Real education can only be based on love, not on knowledge. Real education cannot be utilitarian, real education cannot be of the marketplace. Not that real education will not give you knowledge; first, real education will prepare your heart, your love, and then whatever knowledge is needed to pass through life will be given to you, but that will be secondary. And it will never be overpowering; it will not be more valuable than love.

Edited by Flower

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'

Hi, I went to university to study education in Canada in 2011. The education reform that the government created is very positive. However teachers are too slow at changing and entrenched in their bad habbits to make the necessary changes so schools continue on in much the same way even though now their actions are considered unconstitutional and illegal! Yes thats right schools were created and operate with hidden agendas to industrialize children and make them into people trained to, do what authority figures say without questioning it, accept that the institutions agengas will be hidden in a hierarchy of non-transparent owners, believe that the information given is the best information they can learn, get used to having their individual culture, situation and needs ignored, being put on an even playing field with other students which is not fair, be subjected to hidden forms of racism, sexism, and the list goes on. Governments know all of this now and teachers contracts and training make all of this not a part of what school is supposed to be now. But this amazing education reform we all studied in university is not enforced. It is allowed to slowly trickle its way into schools when new teachers arent too lazy do something about it. The burden rests fully on teachers to change it now and its alot of pressure, but it is their job. Governments put sociology in the center of their education reform, so now every lesson and situation must be based in sociological agendas that result in activism, this is law now! Still I do not recommend schools, because they take children from their families for too much time, keep them inactive sitting in chairs, dont show interest in their ideas etc. When I meet highschool kids 9 out of 10 have never been encouraged to think their own thoughts and have no idea how to, its really scary. They get used to being a mindless joke given away to a manipulative institution by their own parents, too sad. And we wonder why they are pissed off!   I  Recently came across John Taylor Gatto on the internet, his research goes even further showing that schools were designed to make people feel stupid, to break them psycologically. Its all out there if you want to learn about schools. I certianly felt this was the case when I was in school. School is a baby sitter used to keep kids locked up so that their parents can work 8 hour shifts for capitalists. There is this myth that you need highschool education to get a job and get money. Its not true, if you learn something real youll know how to do something real and get paid for it. If you are an amazing person people will want to work with you. If you are creative and a good problem solver you can create your own work or even better not work. Corrupt leaders dont want rebellions pressuring them to be just, thats why their schools keep our most powerful force locked up, the youth!  

Edited by Kevin Dunlop

21 hours ago, Lorcan said:

So how will High school exam results effect my life

I got a scholarship two years in row already based on my school exam results. And I was the first accepted at the Faculty list of candidates based on our grades, so I don't pay for my education, the state does. So yea, if you have good grades you can use it so you get some benefits, at least in my country.

It all depends. But in the end, in some cases it pays off, in some it doesn't matter if you have any education at all. There is no any guarantee that you'll be successful or not with or without school/uni. 

Truth is life has no meaning, just sit and be. Exam results are simply thus, exam results; Marks on a piece of paper.

@Lorcan Would you know "the truth" if I told it to you? Would you benefit from any form of self examination? What is the exam for? Reading? Would you like to know that you read well? Writing? Basic math? The exam should not be anything but a tool to assist you in your knowledge of yourself.

To be blunt, exams don't matter much in the long term because life is not about exams at all! Exams and academic worries can make you feel deeply neurotic and unfulfilled and under extremely high standards. I go to a college where exams are focused around academic writing and exams are rare and the main focus is developing critical thinking and open-mindedness. Exams make you miserable and neurotic! I remember hating exams with such a passion and feeling deeply anxious. I learn for the sake of learning rather than through extrinsic motivation! I learn by going outside to museums, bookstores, the zoo, the theater and by the outdoors and through books and through real life experience. I recommend critically thinking and coming to your own conclusions about exams. Ask questions like "what do I want out of life? What is my life purpose? What are my values? How can I educate myself and discover the joy and fascination of learning?" 

Edited by Zane

On 4/13/2016 at 11:35 AM, Lorcan said:

They don't.

When you are too worried about the exams just look at this picture.

center-universe-web.jpg

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I never worried about exams in the first place. I see the world as it is , my phone charge is 5% and its half 11 where I live so I will make this quick, I just thought if asking the question to see what the real answer was, loads of people in the school think they actually matter. I know what I want to do with my exsistance so cocernimg about jobs isnt really a prob for me.

Just asked to see out of curiousty to see why people says, or says not matters.

All this hustle and bustle at school that exam results are important, pff

(dont get me wrong, I live education, just not school. )

And yo answer on of your questions, Yes I would know if the truth was told to me after some research, and dont let my self bias get in the way of what I beleive in. Even If I have an Idea what I think is the truth,I question it again and again to really see if it is.

The exams only matter for getting into college. Beyond that, they do not matter. So, you should do your best on your exam because colleges do take them into consideration and you don't want to close off possible pathways. But it won't effect which jobs you're hired for or anything like that. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

They matter in the sense that if you can't discipline yourself to ace a government exam, how you gonna ace the much more emotionally challenging aspects of life?

How you show up in life tend to be consistent. I find that people who slack off in school tend to have the exact same attitude towards life. And their lives are shit.

That said, of course there is no direct causal link. You could technically flunk school and become a rockstar human being, but I wouldn't bet money on that.

And none of this is to say there aren't serious problems with our education system. There are! Which is why I recommend taking your education into your own hands. Going WAY beyond the basic curriculum, but also including it.

As far as grades themselves, and even entire diplomas, the truth is they virtually don't matter in real adult life. Nobody cares about your grades, diploma, or what school you went to. They care about what results you can generate. And if they DO care, then those are the kind of people and places I would avoid, because it's just a silly status game. Focus on mastering life and business, not on jumping through somebody's hoops like a well-trained poodle.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thank you for the advice emerald and leo.

I have a somewhat clear what to do now.

It about time I bought one of your recommended books.

Maybe a couple on marketing.

Any recomendations for my first couple of self help book? ( I can undersranf advanced topics)