Viking

is working 24/7 managable?

9 posts in this topic

im looking at elon musk and at the crazy hours he puts into his work and im thinking is this the life of someone who actually makes change in the world.

i think in order to truly make a real contribution to the world one has to work super hard and super a lot. to the point where there is no time for family, friends, relationships etc.

I think this is managable for someone who is enlightened, since he doesnt need all that petty relationship and friends stuff. so in order to make great change and at the same time stay mentally healthy one has to be enlightened?

what do you think? is my thinking too naive?

I doubt it you will be burnout out very quickly due to energy management and your body needs sleep. You can still change the world with just 5 hours of work every day or a 100 hour work week. The type of work is probably more important than the hours. Besides i don't think enlightenment is the right mindset to have in order to do it rather its the mindset of david goggins you need that is the bulldog mindset.

Edited by BjarkeT

I think life purpose doesn't have to be a strictly individual thing, and often that's a trap you can fall into trying to have your own unique LP and trying to actualize your visions all on your own. Imagine people cooperating together to create changes in their environment, or "the world" where responsibility is delegated based on everyone's strengths and the relationships within your team are highly valued. This idea still seems kinda vague to me, but it is a much more plausible approach than just saying I want to do X, how do make that happen?

You're thinking too naive.

There's a reason there's so few of these people like Elon Musk. 99.999999999% CANNOT work that much. That takes a certain person to do that. I don't even mean vision. I mean, it takes a certain 1 in 10000 people to end up being that person that yes has a vision but can even sustain that level of work for more than a week. The exception among the exceptions. If you're that passionate about change and are capable of that and you've had that standout "it" factor for a good part of your life with apparent standout results from others then go for it. Be prepared for the cost. Judging from your other posts you seem lost in life and to be honest this just seems like a phase for you. I don't say to look down on you at all. I get it but just understand that Musk a. isn't happy. That kind of person can never really be truly happy. b. has a workload and work ethic that very few people on planet earth can sustain for even a week without crashing and burning.

I get you on the petty relationships but don't turn that into some repressed projection. Yes most relationships are petty but you can create high quality relationships but in order to create high quality relationships you must become a higher quality person in the sense of advancing in your own personal development. Also it takes overcoming limiting beliefs about relationships. 

Have a vision, set your priorities straight, be crystal clear on your strategic intent, strategize then execute.

I think it depends on what you are trying to change. He is trying to put humans on another planet (among many other things) which takes an insane amount of resources. But, there are many other people who are creating change but they still have time for family and friends.

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

@Winter

1. I’m not “ragging” on Musk. The guy is a very unique and standout and exceptional individual. 99% of people cannot and will not be able to emulate him for a multitude of reasons. He’s who he is for a reason and to think that people can emulate his work ethic to the degree that he does and get results is more often than not setting themselves up for burnout and failure. 
  2. Musk serves a role and is a developed individual in a lot of ways but yeah when you reach the end of your life and you’ve been a rat chasing the most cheese and you realize you’re still not fulfilled when, in the end, Musk will be forgotten about (just like 99.999999 of highly successful individuals) and all his work will turn to dust and you’re still not happy and realize that none of that cheese chasing never answered who you nor your deepest questions and aren’t fulfilled, you’ll feel it then... if you’re lucky. I’m not saying there’s something wrong with him. He could contribute more though and in a deeper more profound way if he did wake up to the deeper dimensions of life.

24 minutes ago, Winter said:

Being forgotten about or not is not relevant. I really don't think he does that stuff to be remembered, because it's way too easy to see how its flawed. I don't believe that people can't reach him. We are all very similar bags of meat. There's nothing special about his brain we don't have. We all have the potential to get waaay better than him, if only we do the right things. What I mean by that is that if you achieve 100% self-control (like an enlightened person, maybe) then it should be a no-brainer to work harder and smarter than him. I believe getting that self control is the challenge here. Saying he is gifted is trying to escape the reality that he has worked harder and got better self-control.

This absolutely deluded, naive and just out not true. 

Saying he is gifted is acknowledging talent. If you think that everything comes down to hard work and that’s the ONLY thing that makes a difference than you’re kidding yourself. I don’t care how hard I worked at basketball, and I worked my face off, there are kids who are just flat out better than me. Period. End of story. East Africans (Ethiopians, Kenyans, Eritreans, etc) are genetically more gifted than most of the world in middle & long distance running hence why they slay most of the world since they came onto the stage. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and are greater gifted freaks of nature both physically and mentally than most NBA players, much less the rest of the globe. Most people who pursue enlightenment hardcore don’t reach levels of the Buddha or great sages despite tremendous work. I’m not making an excuse for people to be lazy and soft but to deny certain exceptional people’s extrodinary talent and gifts in certain areas is just foolish, naive, and delusional. The argument that everybody has the same potential as everybody else is just false, silly, and just downright not true. Everybody is different. I don’t know what enlightened person is telling you that you have 100% control because that’s an assertion that you have free will to begin with. Your notions of people and their potential and talents is just childish 

3 minutes ago, Winter said:

OXlPihs.png

It's much easier to accept that people are gifted than to accept that you didn't work hard enough. The latter hurts but as Ben Finegold always says, "truth hurts".

You can't tell that you are unable to reach someone else because you never gave your 100%. You can always make more efforts, no matter how hard you try.

You’re understanding of people is naive, shallow, and immature. You’ll learn one day when you decide to get out of your fantasy that every man is equal and look around and start doing your homework and just use common sense. You’re reading what I’m saying as if I’m dismissing practice and like I’m putting people on a pedestal. My level of mastery as a runner is not going to be equal to that of Hicham El Guerouj who holds the Mile World Record in 3:43.13 and Eliud Kipchoge’s 2:01:39 in the Marathon. The average person is not able to do math and physics on the level of people like Einstein. If you actually think the majority of people on planet earth can do this then that shows how much you still have yet to learn about people. Most people who pursue enlightenment don’t even reach enlightenment and that’s not for lack of trying. Even enlightened people don’t all awaken to equal depth. People like Peter Ralston who is an extraordinary master cannot awaken to things like Divine Love because of the way he’s wired. 

Dont worry. You’ll wake up one day ;) just takes more maturity and growing up and humbling experiences.