Charlotte

Spoken language endorsement

8 posts in this topic

As part of my qualifications in college, tomorrow I have to stand up for 10 minutes and talk about a controversial topic. 

Where not allowed to read off any paper. 

I'm fine standing up in front of groups of people it's just remembering all my info by heart. 

Any tips pleasing? ?

Practice, practice, practice! Reread all of your notes, then stand there in your bedroom or wherever and talk for 10 minutes (while you are recording yourself) and see if you can remember all of your points.

I had a lot of trouble in my speech class because I wasn't good at bullshitting my way through the speeches. The only thing that helped me was to record myself practicing a bunch of times and writing out exactly what I wanted to say.

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

@Charlotte During practice, I would reduce my dependency on slides and notes - so I just need to glance at bullet-points. For me, I don't like sounding like a rehearsed machine. There is the information, yet also the art of expression. 

What would be a possible fear? Maybe biggest is to forget the information and end up speechless. Nothing bad can happen at the end.

My method was to summarize my chunks of information into keywords. For ex. say you have 15 paragraphs. Pick a keyword within each paragraph that would clearly remind you almost everything on that paragraph. You can also draw mind maps rooted on that keyword. Search for mindmap online.

Then say you have the following keywords listed:
1- Astrology

2- Human history

3- Dark ages

4- Paganism

5- Tribes

6- Medieval age

7- Economy and industrial revolution

8- World war

9- (well this looks like already something in order lets break this)

9- Tshirts

10- Flat eathers

11- Hackers

Now you have 11 keywords representing each paragraph or idea of what you want to talk about. Now what if you had all the keywords in your mind, wouldn't it give you confidence boost and clear state where you can flawlessly speak out words? yeah indeed so we can use the following technique to accomplish this.

For each two words, you'll link them together with a story that you've make up. Consider the following:

Astrology and human history.

I'd think of astrology as study of planet's motion and seeking some fate in it. And human history to be monkeys. (more stupid the story the likelyhood you'll never forget it)

Now visualize the following story: Monkeys studying planet's motion and some monkeys launch a gambling company in order to get benefit from planet's motion or whatever. 

Now the only thing you have to remember from now is the first keyword: Astrology.

You do the rest for each two pairs of keywords, next one would be: Human history and Dark ages.

I'd think human history as monkeys. I'd consider dark ages where monkeys didn't pay bills so they got electricity shutdowns because of that why they've had their era is labelled dark age.

So when you think about astrology you immediately remember monkeys making profit, then after revealing second keyword: monkeys: then you remember that monkeys used to not pay bills so their era is labelled as dark age. Somewhat because of there was no lights in that era paganism had risen because they liked to draw stars and burn up things to bring some light.

Can't thank you all enough for your responses! I passed with the highest mark possible due to my range of vocabulary and the topic I picked :ph34r:

@Leo Gura Thank you so much for the Islam episode, I used it as my main point of resource  ??