benny

The Life Purpose Course contradicts the thesis of one of the recommended books

10 posts in this topic

Throughout the course, Leo emphasizes the necessity of living in alignment with one's passion.

He also recommends we read The Passion Hypothesis, which states that following your passion leads to trouble. Instead, we should be building career capital and then trading it in for the factors that make for a rewarding career.

I'm curious what Leo himself has to say about this.

I think he talked specifically about this at some point. It really is a question of holding contradicting perspectives. Neither Leo nor any book can have the absolute truth for you. Take as many views into account as you can, find out what works for you.

At higher level, you want to identify with conflicts of LPC for yourself, maybe that is caused by unsecurity within you that LPC won't serve and do good. You should instead focus on why do you think or want to think in this way. 

Even that is the case so, throughout the history a lot of things once believed true was changed. And still there're lot of conflicts on science. The popular example is we don't know yet why Einstein's equations work on macro scale and why It doesn't work on quantum scale etc. You see?

12 hours ago, benny said:

Throughout the course, Leo emphasizes the necessity of living in alignment with one's passion.

He also recommends we read The Passion Hypothesis, which states that following your passion leads to trouble. Instead, we should be building career capital and then trading it in for the factors that make for a rewarding career.

I'm curious what Leo himself has to say about this.

My take is, it's really hard to build mastery/career capital without passion. Yes, you may have to grind through sometimes, but generally, the thing you do should be enjoyable to you (using your talents). otherwise, you'll just torture yourself with "shoulds" into burnout. 

@Elisabeth how can you build it with passion if passion only comes after mastering something? I don't think you can do something with passion as it is a side effect of getting good but probably can with being obsessed with it. 

“Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before. In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.” 
― Cal newport, So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love

6 hours ago, BjarkeT said:

@Elisabeth how can you build it with passion if passion only comes after mastering something? I don't think you can do something with passion as it is a side effect of getting good but probably can with being obsessed with it. 

“Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before. In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.” 
― Cal newport, So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love

Whoops! That's the book I meant. The passion hypothesis is a concept within the book. Sorry, read it a while ago.

And just to put it out there, I am actively working the LPC. Currently putting together initial blueprints and researching my industry + industry leaders. Very exciting!

This issue is answered in the course.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@benny

in my opinion, i would just go with leo's approach. leo is incredibly comprehensive with his approach

the parts from that book that i would take are the skills building part. being world-class, building career capital etc. 

however picking your domain of interest will come from exploring your interests and building from your values. there's a process of understanding of who you are, what you want to see in the world and what you want for yourself etc. etc. basically his course. 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, Leo Gura said:

This issue is answered in the course.

I'm currently going through my course notes again and I'm seeing that's the case. Sorry for creating a misleading thread.