ivory

Nothing lasts

8 posts in this topic

I just popped out of a very dark time in my life. I spent the last 5 years deep in nihilistic thinking and extreme levels of depression. It was all brought on after the realization that nothing lasts (after a series of losses). Girlfriends. Nope. Jobs. Nope. Pleasant feelings. Hell no. Everything seemed pointless. Why do anything?

I went through years of therapy, read everything I could about psychology and spirituality, meditated, exercised, etc. Eventually something shifted. Quite recently actually. I went from feeling like life was meaningless to it feeling very meaningful. Life started to feel amazing once I decided to face my challenges and take 100% responsibility for every aspect of my life.

Boom!

Now I'm wondering what the hell happened. Those last 5 years were a doozie!

Curious if any of this sounds familiar to anyone.

Literally just went through this too... how old are you? I had a boom moment although it was more like a couple months of self awareness. It's amazing when you find all your little neuroses and how you thought they were helping you. Fascinating stuff

Yeah, now I can honestly say that I know myself inside and out. I'm 38 years old now.

@ivory Congrats! You discovered what the Buddhists call Anicca or Impermanence.

It's a super-important principle of life, the misunderstanding of which creates most of life's suffering.

I'll shoot a video about Anicca in the future.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The whole movement of life seems evanescent in its nature since everything is constantly changing.

I think recognizing the impermanence in everything and recognizing the inescapable helps one lovingly embrace what comes and what goes.

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

30 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@ivory Congrats! You discovered what the Buddhists call Anicca or Impermanence.

It's a super-important principle of life, the misunderstanding of which creates most of life's suffering.

I'll shoot a video about Anicca in the future.

@Leo Gura This is slightly off topic, but your mention of Anicca led me to look up the Indian concepts of atman and atta. Can you explain the difference between these and the freudian ego (perhaps in one of your videos if not here).

Edited by ZZZZ

AWARENESS!!! Is the one thing that lasts. Consciousness. Enjoy the NOW as it’s all we have ;) 

awesome you are over that hurdle dude! ❤️

Leo has mentioned it before but one thing I always found funny about many nihilists is they assign a negative meaning to meaninglessness.

Its quite the trap many people and even I albeit only briefly found myself into.