okulele

Programmers, advice please!

27 posts in this topic

If Haskell is yellow, Coq is turquoise. ;)

Start with Software Foundation course with Coq and you'll understand you don't need to build games anymore. Realize, you are enlightened with Coq. :D

But you can't jump from low stages to the highest, so start from python, orange PL. There is also a beauty in the lowest stages like C and assembly.

Also, when you are enlightened in programming it's not about languages anymore. :ph34r:

Edited by dimitri

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

10 minutes ago, Theta said:

What about this?

Beige: Turing machine

Purple: Assembly

Red: C

Blue: C++, Java

Orange: Python, R, Web stuff

Green: Ruby

Yellow: Haskell

Turquoise: Coq

LGTM

I like how you put C to red :D

Not sure about Ruby and green though...

Edited by dimitri

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

@dimitri wow looking into Coq, similar to dependent types in functional programming, With the option of writing code proofs. But Haskell has dependently typed extensions. so... gg haskell is cLeArLYyyy stage Coral++. 

To clarify i was labeling Haskell as stage yellow as its a tool that solves root issues in software development as a whole. Issues a stage yellow thinker will be able to properly identify and fix. From team work to re-usability, maintainability, architecture... A language designed around removing human error from the equation. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

18 hours ago, Theta said:

What about this?

Beige: Turing machine

Purple: Assembly

Red: C

Blue: C++, Java

Orange: Python, R, Web stuff

Green: Ruby

Yellow: Haskell

Turquoise: Coq

and LISP is stage coral 

;) https://github.com/hylang/hy

22 hours ago, integral said:

@electroBeam Maybe your perspective will change after years of working as a software lead and the pain that involves. Even then as explained to escape the bubble is not easy. 

I've applied integral thinking to software and the result are these insights. Seems unwise to dismiss my perspective so easily. If you have questions about the subject we can dive deeper. But its possible you have done the same and can see furter, in this case please show me what you see. 

no no. I love haskell and the functional programming paradigm, its absolutely beautiful. Sure! we can talk more about it in the future. 

Brainfuck is definitely stage turquoise :P

I am myself, heaven and hell.

To preface if you want simplicity as the highest priority then Lua is extremely simple. Python is a good runner up. Python forces good code formatting which can be helpful. If you can learn Java which is what is taught in many colleges, C# should be no problem what so ever to you. I expect JavaScript to be about as easy as Python. All languages used in game dev are pretty similar in their core concepts, they just use slightly different ways of expressing it. Its only when you start adding more complicated concepts do many languages show their true power, which even if you don't understand it, it doesn't mean you can't use the language at all. Baby steps. It took me 2 years to grasp Lua back when I was barely a teenager. So don't feel bad. lol

The language you choose is largely dependent on the tooling you want to use. When you learn one language most other languages are fairly easy. So i'll give a bunch of tooling suggestions:

https://www.roblox.com

If you are ok with making a game appealing to kids if you want to make money, then this is an amazing free platform for getting into game development.

It uses the Lua scripting language which is very simple and Roblox handles all of the server costs for you. On top of providing an entire community at your disposal. You can use moonscript and convert to Lua if you'd like which is a more expanded version of Lua. Roblox supports Desktop, Mobile, and Xbox platforms.

There's also a TypeScript project for Roblox

Roblox gets a lot of shit and is meme'd a lot but it has a huge fanbase, lots of developers, and huge opportunities for monetization. Teenagers are making $1M+/yr off this website.

This is the language and platform that kicked off my interest in game development.

Game programming is less about the language itself but the community and tooling around that language. In more traditional game development environments, C# has become a huge staple with engines like Unity already having it and ones like Godot and Cryengine improving support of it. There are plugins for Unreal Engine 4 to use C#  but it traditionally uses a modified version of C++ and or their visual scripting language called blueprints. Unity is way more user friendly than the other engines for 3D work. Godot is solid for 2D.

If you want to do visual programming which involves no mandatory code writing you got software like Gamemaker, Construct 3, or Buildbox.

There are so many frameworks for game dev for JavaScript ill just leave this github list for all of them but I personally recommend Phaser

If you like Lua and not Roblox there are projects like Gideros, Love, Corona, Defold, Leadwerks, Shiva, and Lumberyard which is a fork of Cryengine by Amazon that still uses Lua and C++ 

LibGDX is good for Java

You got a lot of choices. I can help you narrow it down if you can tell me more of what you are looking for not only in a language, but tooling. Also what platform you want to develop for, if the game is 2D or 3D, and if you can afford to buy software.

Edited by Shadowraix