Shin

SDS meditation

47 posts in this topic

I was wondering what are the things I need to know if I consider doing this meditation often.

Should I see a doctor first and check my bones, articulations and muscles to determine if it's a good idea for me ?

What are the things to do and not do when you practice this meditation ? ?

Strong determination is funny, after a certain point I start to detach from the pain and just look at it (so to speak), and it is just a sensation without meaning.

In a weird way, the pain can even be pleasurable ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

7 minutes ago, Shin said:

In a weird way, the pain can even be pleasurable ?

Yes, same for me, doesn't even have to be SDS, but at some point every sensation morphs into each other and it becomes the same "stuff" and (although this is not always the case) all this "stuff" has a beautiful and loving quality to it. It's amazing how simple exercising or a cold shower get when in this mode of perception.

Regarding your question: The only thing I really feel helps a lot with long durations of sitting is some physical yoga/stretching. Especially twists, dead hangs, some sun salutations. I feel this is really important even without SDS.

1 Hour of SDS is not gonna be worse for you than using your computer for 5 hours. Just do regular exercise daily and youll be alright.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I've heard through sds sits you could get physcosis, but I've done about 50 sds sits (longest I've ever sat was 2 hours & 10 minutes. Nothing bad has ever happened to me only good, I had a kundalini awakening on the sds sit that was 2 hours & 10 minutes, my crown chakra opened unexpectedly & it felt like energy was pouring out of my head! Been dealing with kundalini energy ever since (but still not enlightened) ?‍♂️ After the energy shot out of my head I though I was enlightened so I got up, lol I remember adyashanti saying he had the same experience during his enlightenment so I just got up as well except my damn ego was still there lol, I didn't even know what kundalini was going into it, no one ever talks about it, I just wanted full blown enlightenment not Kundalini energy but apparently they are intertwined somehow...but you don't need kundalini to become enlightened you can bypass it...they say 

Edited by Tony 845
Grammar

@ShinShin From my experience SDS are HELLA POTENT when you get up to the 4, 5, 6, 7 hour sits. Start small tho. 

7 hours ago, Rinne said:

@ShinShin From my experience SDS are HELLA POTENT when you get up to the 4, 5, 6, 7 hour sits. Start small tho. 

What ? ?

God is love

And God in them

7 minutes ago, Rinne said:

@Shin Amazing shit is capable of happening in the 4, 5, 6, 7 hour sits.

What kind of shit? I want to try. Ive done 1.10 hrs at most and 3 hours total in one day.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

9 minutes ago, Rinne said:

@Shin Amazing shit is capable of happening in the 4, 5, 6, 7 hour sits.

In one sit ?

My god guys, I only have one subtle addiction left and I try to hold onto it like crazy, and when it's too uninteresting to do it, I sleep 4 more hours than necessary.

I don't know if the 4 more sleeping is a good enough distraction, cause I can practice being mindful in those dreams ???

God is love

And God in them

@Shin Sitting for more then 30 min without taking a break (like standing up for 1 minute) is extremely bad for your health in the long run. 

Here's a solution to both doing SDS and not worsening your health:

Create reminders for every 30 min (6;30 ; 7;00 ; 7;30) and every time you hear the reminder sound just stand up (with eyes closes) and count (you can use mantras here) to 20 breaths. Basically keep meditating for the 1 minute when standing up. Then sit up back and meditate on! 

Boom, problem solved!

Or you could try Strong Determentation Standing for 30min, then Sitting for 30min, then Standing ...

Edited by 111111

@111111

I came across the same claim as well. It is mostly recommended by physicians and doctors. They basically say that sitting at one place for more than 30 minutes can have adverse effects on heart, blood sugar, obesity etc especially in front of TV, computer or at work where after few minutes the mind starts getting numb. I think we all have the experience of sitting in front of tv for 3-4 hours at stretch.

But I heard Sinzen Young himself saying that there are  monks who have been doing this SDS for days, weeks, even for months over the centuries. Yes the legs, waist can freeze but he says that those are only temporary effects and one should come back gently out of SDS. I think we'll agree a real monk is physically far superior than any average joe, generally speaking.

So who should we trust? Thousands of years old, well documented tradition or some modern medical hypothesis? :ph34r:

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@111111

But the point of SDS is to push push push through all distractions, pain etc over a long period until a spontaneous breakthrough or surrender happens.

For an experienced meditator on flow, 30 minutes goes by in like 3-4 minutes 

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

First few sits of SDS

this-is-fine.0.jpg

Everytime you stop SDS

iwmajcabd4saittehlgs.jpg

God is love

And God in them

22 minutes ago, 111111 said:

@Preetom Why not just do the 2 methods I pointed out? BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Worst case scenario I become Charles Xavier ?

God is love

And God in them

I do the longer sessions lying down, I always start sitting for about 30 minutes, then lie down. I don't think those same problems you mentioned apply to lying down right? 

@Shin after a 2 hr sds sit I always lay there for 5 or ten mintiuyes after, it beats your ass,  my biggest breakthrough with mediating was with sds sits, crown chakra blew the fuck open it was nuts! Thought I was enlightened? Now dealing with kundalini ever since 

Do you guys focus on the pain, or do you focus on something else ?

God is love

And God in them

On 11/20/2018 at 6:40 AM, Rilles said:

What kind of shit? I want to try. Ive done 1.10 hrs at most and 3 hours total in one day.

For me i guess i could say a life changing experience i have yet to share on this forum which i wish to share but dont know how to. I mean it wasnt something super special but at the same time it sort of was. 

On 11/20/2018 at 6:44 AM, Shin said:

In one sit ?

Yes. They are nearly impossible cause your body just wont let you do them. It just wont hence it takes a strong determination. 

22 hours ago, Shin said:

For me i let my mind focus on whatever. 

23 hours ago, Shin said:

Whatever the focus does, I don't try to allow it nor not allow it. The only thing I would say I "focus" on is the expansion of being aware of every sensation present when I feel myself contracting my consciousness. If there is pain and focus on the pain that's fine. I don't do anything about it. 

Often when having much pain (for me alway my neck) I see myself not feeling it fully. In this case I just allow myself to feel what's there, no matter if pain or anything else. At some point all experience gets kind of smoothed out and there ceases the differentiation between negative or positive. 

But I'm honest here, this often means I have to suffer through it for a long time, maybe even the whole sitting. I just try to see what's really happening, but not as an action, just as an opening of consciousness. I know it's not well explained... It's not easy I find cause the process becomes less and less definable. Hope that helps 

Edited by peanutspathtotruth