Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manjushri

'Mental states are physiological reactions' - how do I counter this argument?

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gligorije said:

@electroBeam Mental states are physiological reactions? why so??? 

Because the mental and the psychological are one movement of the self, which is a reaction. 

The self clings to its own content(thought). This is attachment/resistance/identification in process. Then we are always denying an actual relationship/communication with each other. Politics, science, and religious dogma is a great example. 

Edited by Jack River

Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread so I hope I'm not being repetitive, but correlation doesn't imply causation. Yes, measurable phisiological conditions can be correlated with mental states, but it's possible that they are both expressions of an underlying fabric.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

24 minutes ago, Gligorije said:

@outlandish no, we're talking about somebody openly claiming that mental states are physiological. 

Ok, well still same thing. 

The mental/psychological is also physiological. Thought is a movement of material process. The psychological self is a movement/process of thought. 

Edited by Jack River

Which was implied in my first post too. Being limited to thought/selfs defensive reaction is an expression of that material process. Means intelligence that is beyond thought is not putting order in thought so it can actually be logical, reasonable. 

Edited by Jack River

Logic is overrated. Has no real use without embracing the darkness. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

TJ Reeves said most people are idiots because they try to convince people through arguments.

TJ told us to convince people by inspiring them instead of arguing them.

@CreamCat Why change somebody's position anyways? ps were not convincing anybody into 'our' position. 

good advice anyways. 

16 hours ago, Gligorije said:

@outlandish no, we're talking about somebody openly claiming that mental states are physiological. 

Yes I know, that's what I'm trying to point out. The person claims that mental states are physiological in nature, meaning that underlying phisiology causes the mental state that we experience. The argument to counter this is that we don't really know about the link between the mental experience and the measurable physiological state. It could be that both are caused by a 3rd underlying source, or that the mental state is the cause of the physiological reaction, or vice versa. Perhaps the observable physiological reactions are what it looks like when mind occupies the matter we call brains. 

This is a debate that his been raging for millennia, you're not going to be able to settle it. The truth is we don't know and we can't answer this debate at this time, or maybe ever. It's not even clear that the question is an askable one, it could be nonsense. 

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

12 hours ago, CreamCat said:

TJ Reeves said most people are idiots because they try to convince people through arguments.

TJ told us to convince people by inspiring them instead of arguing them.

Porcupine gayish vibration talk lol. Can't listen to that blocked voice. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.