hikmatshiraliyev

Scary thoughts while meditating

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

When i meditate i have lots of scary thoughts like ghosts, devils, paranormal things. Every time when i had thoughts like this i was saying "okay, it is just a thought, it is not real". But today, i watched leo's episode about paranormal things, and couldn't meditate even 10 minutes. 

I live with my family , but i go to my another house to meditate because of silence. I meditate alone in dark. Maybe i should not go there, my subconscious mind doesn't let me to be in peace. I feel safer at home lol

I'm really curious what others have to say about this issue as I have the exact same problem.

15 minutes ago, hikmatshiraliyev said:

Hi,

When i meditate i have lots of scary thoughts like ghosts, devils, paranormal things. Every time when i had thoughts like this i was saying "okay, it is just a thought, it is not real". But today, i watched leo's episode about paranormal things, and couldn't meditate even 10 minutes. 

I live with my family , but i go to my another house to meditate because of silence. I meditate alone in dark. Maybe i should not go there, my subconscious mind doesn't let me to be in peace. I feel safer at home lol

Meditate in the morning sunlight, the ego can very paranoid in the dark.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@hikmatshiraliyev

Hi, 

A few suggestions:

- turn the lights on

- sit with eyes open

- close the curtains

- breath deeply a few times

- play music, or sing a song you really like (out loud, in your head) this is an advice by Terence Mckenna for when you're having a bad trip. 

- light up some incense sticks before your meditation

In short, create positive vibes as much as you can. Whatever you do at home to feel at peace, try to recreate that in your other room. This helped me greatly! 

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

It sounds to me like you're just in the habit of thinking those thoughts while you're meditating, and you can train yourself out of that habit just by staying with it and not giving power to those thoughts. Also, I wouldn't meditate in a place that feels spooky to you, that's just asking for it. Someone else said to meditate in the sunlight instead, and I totally agree.

Don't be obsessed with absolute silence either. A little noise will actually help you with your focus and concentration and attention. I sometimes put on headphones and listen to YouTube videos of New York Street noise when I meditate. If you can learn to meditate with those sorts of external stimuli, you can meditate anywhere.

Don't let your ego throw some scary thoughts at you and talk you out of meditating. That's exactly what it wants....

3 minutes ago, PsiloPutty said:

Don't be obsessed with absolute silence either. A little noise will actually help you with your focus and concentration and attention. I sometimes put on headphones and listen to YouTube videos of New York Street noise when I meditate. If you can learn to meditate with those sorts of external stimuli, you can meditate anywhere.

I love to meditate on the bus. :P

@Rilles  That's really awesome, my ego is still very much strong enough that I have a hard time meditating in the direct vicinity of strangers who are just going about their business. Noises are no problem, but my meditation goes to crap if I think someone is looking at me. 

18 minutes ago, PsiloPutty said:

@Rilles  That's really awesome, my ego is still very much strong enough that I have a hard time meditating in the direct vicinity of strangers who are just going about their business. Noises are no problem, but my meditation goes to crap if I think someone is looking at me. 

Haha , just allow the sensation of feeling stared at to be! As long as youre aware then youre meditating. :P

Just type «ambiance sounds "x"» on youtube.

x = What type of ambiance you like.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them