kieranperez

1st Trip Coming Up + Question on Setting Intentions w/Psychedelics

9 posts in this topic

What does that really mean and how do you actually do that? On the abstract I get it where it’s like ‘well my intention is to surrender to God’ or ‘I want get in touch with what I really want out of my life’ or ‘what is my heart calling forth in me to do?’

I don’t meant to sound too left brained but practically what do you personally do to set a strong intention? 

Quick Side Note: For those of you want to chime in and say that I shouldn’t have an intention and just let the substance do what it needs to do, I hear you. I just think there can be more than 1 side to this process. I know people like Martin Ball are very against and (lovingly) look down upon having any sort of intentions when using psychedelics. 

Anyways...

I personally am planning on doing some sort of camping thing where I leave my place in San Francisco and maybe go up to Northern California where it deserted as fuck and maybe backpack, set up camp, get used to the place where I’d be set up for a few days and maybe even a week, and then trip on probably LSD. I want to do this because:

• I can’t do this at home. I live in the heart of San Francisco which I can’t stand being in at all. I literally get overwhelmed every single day from being in this human zoo and claustrophobia and neurosis, let alone my own neuroticism. I absolutely hate it here. I also can’t do it at home because I live with my Dad and little brother who basically look down on me and treat and look at me at some imbiscile who should just grow up and be this gross conforming hedonist “like everyone else”. They hang out at home all day and I’m already not someone that does well sitting inside 4 walls for even a quarter of the day without going crazy. I also have no privacy at all (never have). I feel absolutely blissful and actually fulfilled on the trails. I sometimes cry when I’m in deep solitude in nature because I finally feel free, truly at peace, and I can finally slow down. It’s so cathartic it’s kinda crazy as it’s more pronounced than most people I see. I know it’s not a setting I’m necessarily used to but I don’t really care at this point, which leads me to the next point...
  • I’m absolutely miserable every single day here. I can’t effectively get in touch with my intuition, strategize, vision about my future, etc. I can’t do anything here. Think of it like this: you’re trying to find your way out of this busy city and get to the promise land, but you’re stuck with a billion people squashed next to you and trampling you and you have salsesmen blowing up in your face grabbing you by the arm over to their little shop to buy their snake oil and you get sucked into it and you have this bellowing loudspeaker blurting every corner and you can’t think at all. That’s where I’m at. Of course, a lot of those examples dont just imply other external people, they include all the thoughts in my own mind, my negative self talk, all my limiting beliefs and paradigms that distract me and overwhelm me, my victim mentality, my emotional reactions (mainly anger, depression, overwhelm, frustration, and hopelessness), etc. I also feel like psychedelics can help because I just got off all 5-6 psych meds at the beginning of this year that I’ve been taking for at least 10 years for some of them (one of them - Adderall - I was on for close to 20 years) and now that I’m off, it’s like I have this mind that has really almost rotted away in terms of “it’s” ability concentrate, focus, and handle cognitive stuff like contemplating life issues crisply and “cleanly” without getting massive brain fog, fatigue, emotional overwhelm, and such.

I think my whole intention would be to really feel, get in touch with, and discover what it is I really want out of my life next. What do I and my heart really fucking want? Not just some “you really want Truth, God, etc.” yes I know that conceptually but I still have no fucking experiential understanding of what that means. Just some bullshit idea I have. Yes I want to reach the highest fucking level possible and pull a Buddha and Christ (not in terms of mass scale or starting some religion or anything like that) and then impact people but that still is just a flimsy idea I have and there’s also more to it than that. What is that path for me? What is my intuition and “inner God” trying to tell me that I can’t hear because I’m so stuck in all the bullshit that I’m maiyered in?

Sorry for this being a bit long but as always, love the responses ❤️

Edited by kieranperez

Set a loose intention around the rough idea you want.

Say it out loud once or write it down somewhere or think it. Then let it go. 

Don't worry about it too much on the trip, when you come down, you'll see how the intention manifested itself (or sometimes didn't).

look down on me and treat and look at me at some imbiscile who should just grow up and be this gross conforming hedonist “like everyone else”.

@kieranperez Enjoy working through this one on your trip ;)

Make sure to share your insights with me...

...and make sure you are comfortable and safe in your environment. And if you get the urge to explore the nature around you be careful not to get lost lol ;-)

The idea is that if you set a strong enough intention, it will still be circling in the back of your mind as you trip. It sometimes goes that way and it sometimes doesn't, but it's a good practice to get into. You can still surrender while having an intention, that's important to note.

@kieranperez I know plenty of experienced folks that set intentions with psychedelics. It was a major theme in the Ayahuasca retreat I did. Setting an intention is thought to provide grounding for a trip to return to. Like a theme. For me, the work in general I've done the weeks prior set an unofficial "intention". For example, if I've been spending a lot of time contemplating nothingness, I may be brought to nothingness during the trip. 

If I were to set an official intention, I would make it humble and genuine such as a request "to be shown my inner blocks to deeper states of being". 

Dude, concluding from what you've laid out, you have some more prominent stuff to get right in your life. Get your career in order so you can move out of your parent's place. Figure out where your sense of anger and frustration arise. Try to see society through a more positive lens. Become detached from external circumstances and happenings of life.

Psychedelics and spirituality can be a powerful tool. But as Leo mentioned in his last video, you have to get other shit together before you are mentally mature enough to do this work. 

I'm not saying this to judge, I'm still young myself and not in the position of going balls deep on spiritual work. But I think when psychedelics are done to gain something, they are used for the wrong reasons. When used out of genuine curiosity and inquiry into reality, they can be very eye-opening.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune