Edward95

Should I learn how to play Go?

8 posts in this topic

I know playing Go has many benefits (esp on your brain). However, a lifelong hobby of playing the game will require many hours. So would taking up such passion worth the opportunity cost?

Also, Leo has once advocated ‘lifestyle minimalism’ and having an additional activity that will preoccupy your time does go against this. 

Edited by Edward95

I think you expect way more from playing that game than is realistic: how are you supposed to change from playing that game?

it could train your brain, but as far as I think every engaging activity could.

@Outer Everything has benefits, its all on you, how you take it. For example, by playing a game like Go, you can learn how to think ahead, think more strategically and how to accept failure. Many smart people play chess and Go. I am not saying that its the must do, but your perspective is just a bit biased. You can also get these benefits by doing martial arts of something...

Can't remember which self help book, but a lot of South Korean Master Go players had I.Q's below average. I guess if you only play GO everyday for like 30 years flat, you'll probably get good at it, all that circuitry that getting wired, in lieu of other things. I think I.Q can be an initial barrier or retard progress, but is not crucial, for certain things past an initial threshold. Like riding a bike.

Edited by RichardY

@RichardY  If you arent Asian/Peter Ralston, you cant beat Asian at their own game, there is no way. I know a professional Go player myself, he is around 20, speak Chinese Mandarin and play for many year, yet he still gets destroyed by 5 year old Chinese guy.

I liked it for a few years. 

If your everyday job isn't rich in deep logical thinking and concentration, it's a good hobby for you. 

Really, just do it if you like it. 

Seems like a neat game, yes!

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.