saint_charming7

Need some career advice from Actualizers

11 posts in this topic

Hi my actualizer friends,

I have a personal career matter that I would like some guidance from open minded people, and this is a place I hope I won't be judged for my choices. I'm 25 years old, and still learning a lot, if you have some spare time to read my story, and give me some advice I thank you. Anyways, to the story:

Two years ago, I was close to graduate college, and I was not satisfied with my career prospects after graduation. I was about to graduate in journalism, and after a one-year internship, and a really tough experience in the field, I made up my mind that I wanted to change and pursue something else. Despite a hard experience, journalism expanded my horizons to economics and finance, and this became my new favorite field of study. I dedicated most of my free time in my last two years of college taking extra courses in them.

I decided than to seek in my graduate studies these fields, and change my career. It was two years, dedicated to study, research for the best course given my limitations, and applications for different institutions.

The process was long and I had to work really hard, and last year some results started to come. Long story short, I was admitted for a masters in my country (I'm from Brazil), but simultaneously I was also accepted by an MBA in Europe that I was applying.

Despite, preferring the content in the masters, I chose the MBA specializing in finance. I was told by many (including some family members that work in the field of economics) that it was a better option, given that the course would be better preparation for the labor market, and I would have the experience of living abroad and live in a different culture.

I took those advices, and I moved to Europe, I'm living in Barcelona now. I love the city, I’m enjoying the experience, the rich heritage, my "freedom" to choose, and all the great friends I met from all parts in the world here! However, the course is going downhill, I'm getting good grades, but the MBA program is really NOT what I expected to be, the classes are too general, and there's plenty of projects to be done with a tight schedule which does not leave us enough time to study.  This forces the students to make schemes like to copy answers for assignments from other students, and cheat in exams. This is something that bothers me, because it goes against my values, but I also understand some of them have no choice, since the course proposes to teach you specific things that require time to develop skills under a few weeks.

I understand that big part of this is my own fault for choosing this institution, they offer an MBA degree in 9 months (when usually most programs last 18). I thought this could be in my advantage for changing my career and focusing in practice, but from the looks of this course it is not pedagogical at all, not meeting my true objectives, and worse I'm paying some good money to be here.

Couple of weeks ago I came up with a backup plan, if I decide not to go through with this and leave first term of the course I can get a certification for international management which I can use in my CV. I was thinking about doing that, and later choosing for an online masters in economics (which is half the price I’m paying here in Europe and by some of the best uni's in the world), and in the meantime focus in writing a blog I have that talks about money, and try to open a small business idea I’m coming up with a friend. The catch is: how should I express this for my "sponsors" aka my family? They are financing my studies, and I don't want to get them disappointed with me, they created so many expectations. It really saddens me to give them this news.

In the bright side, I don't feel like a loser, or a failure. I did learn a lot moving to a different country, I feel more mature, and I'm gaining more self-confidence in my skills. I just don't think it worth it paying top money for a course that teaches me basic stuff, and is not aligned with my objectives.

The bad part is that I will have to return to my country, and start again from scratch, this is leaving me anxious. I’m tired and afraid of making more mistakes.

You guys have some constructive advices on how I can "survive" in this challenge? Like Leo would say, I was really set for a mind-f#ck in this one. 

Thanks a lot.

I just wrote a whole essay for you, but it didn't save. So sorry, I'll make this one brief and give you a few questions.

Some of the questions may be way off, but just sit with them for a bit.

• Do you think you might have an issue with completion that is playing out over and over again?
  • Do you actually enjoy blogging (do you even know what it entails)
    • Go create a Medium.com account NOW and start writing every day, then start marketing the writing and getting it in publications
  • Are you just in a brief down phase, or have you felt this way the entire time?
  • Are you unconsciously afraid of what comes after graduating?
  • Do you really have to leave your country, or can you pick up part-time work and work on your business part time?
  • What feels right "NOW", not based on future possibilities?
  • Is it worth discussing the possible options with your family and having them weigh in with their outside perspectives (they are probably more relevant and personalised than mine)?

Also is a good read:

https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/12/overcoming-indecision/

https://www.purposefinder.io/guides/a-guide-for-highschool--university-students-finding-your-life-path/

Edited by Bluebird

@Bluebird first, thank you so much for reading, and taking the time to help me out. These qestions are great, and they came in the right time, I will really take them and think carefully over these days. Honestly, your effort means a lot to me. I will check the content you sent me as well. Hopefully, I can find a "light in the end" of the tunnel, and make a good decision. 

take care! :)

@saint_charming7 How much of the 9 months do you have left to finish it out? Is it already paid for or are you on some sort of payment plan with the University?

@Equanimitize The program consists of three terms each one that lasts three months. The payments are made prior to the beggining of the next term ( so I only paid for the first one which I'm studying atm). I'm about to finish the first term in one month from now, so I have 7 and a half months of course to go (6 and half if you exclude the winter and spring break). 

On 11/5/2018 at 4:54 AM, saint_charming7 said:

The program consists of three terms each one that lasts three months. The payments are made prior to the beggining of the next term ( so I only paid for the first one which I'm studying atm). I'm about to finish the first term in one month from now, so I have 7 and a half months of course to go (6 and half if you exclude the winter and spring break). 

Right on, the reason I ask, would it be better for you to just finish it? Does the degree have any external value? Will it help you get a job? It seems you don't value it that much which is fine, but how does the world view it? Is it worth any money? Why do you think an economics degree will be worth more?

I think a lot people get stuck in college because they don't have a vision or purpose so they literally tread water for years not knowing where they are going. Maybe this is the case with you, I don't know. If you know where it is that you are going then go ahead, but if you have one foot in what foot out it seems like you'll probably find your self in the same predicament. 

Theres definitely something to be said about finishing what you started. Theres also something to be said about not wasting your time/money doing low ROI tasks that won't contribute to your vision/purpose. 

On 11/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, saint_charming7 said:

The catch is: how should I express this for my "sponsors" aka my family? They are financing my studies, and I don't want to get them disappointed with me, they created so many expectations. It really saddens me to give them this news.

I understand this is your real question, not whether you should change track (be it an online master's or another MBA). It's a false 'how to', however, the action is straightforward, it just feels difficult right now. You tell them the truth. What you have written here is good enough, you can go with it. You tried this course for two months, but you found out it's really bad and not meeting your educational goals. So you want to change tracks. You have a plan already.

Are you going to ask them to support you further in your new track? Is that what you are afraid of, that they cut your funding?

Edited by Elisabeth

In a perfect world (money is not an issue anymore) and 30 years down the road, what do you see yourself doing? What does your future self do? Is it working for a giant corpo being a senior executive of Finance earning 150,000 $ per month? Is it in South-East Asia rescuing Orangutans that have been abandoned? Is it decorating gardens all across the country being a garden architect?...

Perhaps try to sit on this and think very deeply. I might be wrong in this observation but it seems to me that you are not 100% pursuing your deepest passion and are not alligned with your values, but have chosen a path that is economically most viable because your peers (family,teachers, friends) told you that this is the best way. 

While this is probably easier said than done, without a clear vision for your life, you may dabble from one place to another seeking happiness that these environments may not necessarily provide to you. 

As per losing your parents's support, would it be possible for you to get a part tim-job or a source of income such as language sessions for example? At least until you figure stuff out. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Yes, I was really nudged by my peers to follow this path because of the high potential of having a better paid job, and career recognition. However, just like you said this is not going with my true values. I have to admit that you're right about this, and it was hard for myself to come to this conclusion (I'm just not the corporate kinda guy). I also agree with what you said about dabling from one place to the other, I believe I need some intrsospection and get in touch with my true nature again not only the practical, and financial side. Anyways, thanks a lot for the support!

All the other peers, I read your comments, however I'm not with sufficient time to answer one by one. But, I'm taking all the advices in consideration. 

Tks a lot everybody!

@saint_charming7 Interesting story.

First, we need to know, what is your end goal?

We can't help you to win the race if you don't know where the finish line is.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

That's a phenomenon I see happening more and more in modern societies. I might be sidelined here, but will try to look at it from a bigger perspective.

The way I see it, there a cultural need to go to study at a university. Pressure from society and family pushes us to go pursue "higher" education. It almost became a phase in life where you go spend a couple of years in college, then go out to find employment.

The problem is, when you go to college just out of going to college, you don't really think twice about your actual career path. You end up taking whatever program they offer, which results in a non-practical education. 

I'm not advocating against college education. I think it is wonderful, it opens up new perspectives and expands personal points of view. The difference is that you have to decide on a practical career path first, and only then (if you need to) pursue a university degree. This decision needs to be solid, you have to go out there and become familiar with the field of your choice first. For example, get an entry-level position related to finance and management, before getting an MBA.

Getting a degree just to put on your resume is really a waste of resources. What I discovered more and more by entering the workforce, is that practical skills and experience outway education every time.

You have to decide on how you want to provide value in society. This decision has to be extremely practical. Just picking "economics and finance" is very general and broad. You have to be very specific, for example, I will do book-keeping, I will consult companies with their taxes, I will work with people in Human Resouces. What I'm trying to say is practical value first, education and salary second.

I won't even go to much into starting a business. Here again, I see the same problem. People think about starting a business just because they think it's cool (for financial freedom etc.) and they do NOT think about the value their business is going to provide. When the idea and hype of a business become primary, while the value secondary...  you can imagine what type of business it will produce.

My practical advice, if it's only a matter of a couple of months, go on and finish the MBA to not upset your parents. But in the long-term, start imagining yourself producing something tangible in society. Not thinking about some business idea, but acquiring a useful skill first. And maybe then, after a decade of practical experience, you can build a business based of your profession.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune