Mafortu

Why does Leo give video-games such a bad stigma?

58 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Shadowraix said:

I have never stated how I live life at all. Video games have a very minimal presence in my life.

I am trying to say that you can't live life incorrectly because there is no correct/incorrect way of living to begin with.

At the end of the day you live how you want to.

Its far too easy of a trap to be highly conscious then sit on a high horse looking lowly on the lower consciousness people as if they are living life incorrectly.

From an absolute perspective yes its purpose is to just exist.

But from this relative perspective purpose and meaning must be projected and so there is no correct way to go about it. The only correct way is the way you do go about it. Reality is never as it shouldn't be.

If you can't tell the difference between eating food casuallly vs eating highly conscious then of course one must be blind.

Try eating food slowly with appreciation after 3 days of fasting and tell me how mind blowing it was.

Such go with everything else in life, life purpose and perspective is secondary to consciousness, the problem is people get lost in the petty things when they need to step back into consciousness.

You're being a mediator with yourself, past consciousness.

Being highly conscious is as necessary as breathing air is to the body.

8 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

You're being a mediator with yourself, past consciousness.

Not sure I get this. How am I making myself come to agreement? Everything ive said is beyond how I live, I just iterated on relativity.

9 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Being highly conscious is as necessary as breathing air is to the body.

I guess if you are trying to live as long as possible.

9 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Not sure I get this. How am I making myself come to agreement? Everything ive said is beyond how I live, I just iterated on relativity.

You're looking for neutral ground. Being neutral is fine, but when it comes to the body and mind, being optimal is better.

9 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

I guess if you are trying to live as long as possible.

What are you on about? The more conscious you are the more you can appreciate things, you can drink water like you havent drank water in 24 hours, you can eat like you haven't eaten in 3 days, you can go outsides and get your mind blown like as if you spent 1 year in dark solitary confinement.

I don't think you're on the same page here.

Edited by alankrillin

4 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

What are you on about? The more conscious you are the more you can appreciate things, you can drink water like you havent drank water in 24 hours, you can eat like you haven't eaten in 3 days, you can go outsides and get your mind blown like as if you spent 1 year in dark solitary confinement.

I don't think you're on the same page here.

Wouldn't call that as necessary as breathing. Without air the body will cease to function very quickly. You can be low conscious and live to your 60s+

High consciousness will definitely enhance the experience and length of it but that isn't a much of a necessity as air.

7 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

You're looking for neutral ground. Being neutral is fine, but when it comes to the body and mind, being optimal is better.

I'm not looking for anything. I simply just understand the relativity of it all. Something being better all depends on the goal you have set.

If there is no goal to make progress towards better/worse don't mean anything.

You obviously have your own goals on how to live life, but be wary to not try and apply that as the goals of everyone else.

I used to play a lot during my teens. 

I have to say that I do regret it, but then again there was no other way. It made more anti-social, I could have gotten a girlfriend much faster. I also lost my eye vision and started wearing glasses.

I would say if you are under 20, get it out of your system and play as you like. Don't repress any desires for entertainment, as they will ultimately bubble and the repression will lead to no-where.

Today even if I had the desire to play video games, I couldn't afford it time-wise. There just so much to learn about life and technical trades, that even if I read all day, It will take me years. For entertainment, I will occasionally watch a good quality movie.

Honestly, what kind of killed it for me is that as I became more mature, I started to understand how technology (programming) works in video games. That sort of took away the mystery and allure of interesting games that I knew when I was younger. Now I see that every step, every corner, and every plot-twist is been carefully architected by a team of people, who are not necessarily the most creative ones. A lot of the games out there have quite a shallow storyline that is catered to SD stage Orange nerdy guys. It all just became very mechanical, the story unexciting and no real room for creative thinking, because any move you make has been planned already. Idk I guess I just grew out of it. 

Edited by Arthur

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

21 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Wouldn't call that as necessary as breathing. Without air the body will cease to function very quickly. You can be low conscious and live to your 60s+

High consciousness will definitely enhance the experience and length of it but that isn't a much of a necessity as air.

I'm not looking for anything. I simply just understand the relativity of it all. Something being better all depends on the goal you have set.

If there is no goal to make progress towards better/worse don't mean anything.

You obviously have your own goals on how to live life, but be wary to not try and apply that as the goals of everyone else.

Your outmost effort to make ridiculous arguements just to keep your foot on the door to "not be in the wrong" is dragging out too much, give it up bud.

I mean it was pretty bad when you complained I gave one (1) person as example to game addiction which was for the sake of simplicity you knew very well I wasn't going to write an essay on countless people, and you know damn right there are many people who suffer from similar problems if you consider milions of people playing video games, yet it did not stop your stupid counter arguement "ITS ONLY 1 PERSON ONLY 1 PERSON!".

Of course conciousness is absolutely necessary, it's VITAL, its your foundational core upon everything, if you have low conscious then you're basically watching a shitty cam recording of a movie that's blurring as hell, and you can barely make the visuals and yet you're saying the food in the movie is more important than the blurry screen lol.

Bud, clean up your lenses, please.

Edited by alankrillin

13 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Your outmost effort to make ridiculous arguements just to keep your foot on the door to "not be in the wrong" is dragging out too much, give it up bud.

I could easily call that a tactic to make yourself seem correct. I don't care who sees me as wrong or right. I'm simply just sharing what I think. If you want to make this some wrong/right superiority complex game then ill hop out because im not about that.

13 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

I mean it was pretty bad when you complained I gave one (1) person as example to game addiction which was for the sake of simplicity you knew very well I wasn't going to write an essay on countless people, and you know damn right there are many people who suffer from similar problems if you consider milions of people playing video games, yet it did not stop your stupid counter arguement "ITS ONLY 1 PERSON ONLY 1 PERSON!".

My point was that you can't generalize that kind of stuff across the board. Addiction is a possibility to literally  any (if not then most) activity. 

17 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Of course conciousness is absolutely necessary, it's VITAL, its your foundational core upon everything, if you have low conscious then you're basically watching a shitty cam recording of a movie that's blurring as hell, and you can barely make the visuals and yet you're saying the food in the movie is more important than the blurry screen lol.

Vital to what? Again you have to make your goal clear here. Comparing it to breathing makes it seem like you are saying it is vital to just keeping the body functioning for even a short period of time. Its not. You seem to be doing a lot of projecting on your preference of how to live life. We are talking about HIGH consciousness being vital. 

27 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

I could easily call that a tactic to make yourself seem correct. I don't care who sees me as wrong or right. I'm simply just sharing what I think. If you want to make this some wrong/right superiority complex game then ill hop out because im not about that.

My point was that you can't generalize that kind of stuff across the board. Addiction is a possibility to literally  any (if not then most) activity. 

Vital to what? Again you have to make your goal clear here. Comparing it to breathing makes it seem like you are saying it is vital to just keeping the body functioning for even a short period of time. Its not. You seem to be doing a lot of projecting on your preference of how to live life. We are talking about HIGH consciousness being vital. 

Video games directly benefit from getting you to play hence all progression systems, character building etc, game designers jobs is to make it as fun and addictive as possible to make sure the game succeeds, nuff said, negative/zero-sum reward activity, clearly not getting through into your head, not everything has a game designer making something on purposely "fun" or "addictive". You need to do some research between video games and rat tendencies, for example pulling a lever for reward causes addiction, research it.

Vital to experiencing life, not just going through the motions, vital to being, vital to appreciation of existence.

Leo talks about life purpose in his life purpose course, he basically says there is no purpose in life and you need to create it for yourself. Correct you are right there. But, Leo also says Life Purpose is second to Enlightenment (which is consciousness). 9_9

Notice in his course Leo is trying to make someone as highly conscious as a course can do (obviously it can't make you go through years of meditation or practice) but it does try to get you in touch with your higher self, go through processes and theories and methods to try get a good life purpose outcome.

We can boil down this argument to the simplest form:

In otherwords you're basically saying, "theres nothing wrong with drinking soda once in a while, in moderation."

I'm saying "don't drink the fucking soda. Drink spring water. You won't spike your blood sugar levels with artificial shit and you'll be more optimal."

Also you'd be suprised how people play the moderation card, a lot of people would think drinking 1 soda can a day IS moderation lol.

Again, this is not something someone can force with sheer willpower, the higher conscious you are the less you will do these thing. Being conscious starts a process of autocorrection. If you want to see the opposite of consciousness just go outside nightclubs, etc, where people are kicking each other's heads in for the most smallest things.

Edited by alankrillin

League is a really bad one. I spent countless hours getting better at it, even getting good enough to enter Diamond if I simply spent the necessary time playing to climb the ladder. But think about how useless that skill was, I literally got nothing out of it. Imagine what you could do with the thousands upon thousands of hours most gamers have spent playing games in their lifetime. Becoming a master of multiple fields of study you say? 

The bits about improving certain things like hand eye coordination is just addict explaining away addiction. The negative aspects of video games outweigh any possible positive side effects.

When I was in the middle of my addiction to video games I used all of these same sorts of rationalisations to paint gaming in a better light, and to paint over the problem I had. Citing studies on possible health benefits while ignoring the mountain of evidence about the known negative side effects was one of my favorites.

The comparison to cigarettes or drugs is not a strawman, if you think it is you just don't understand the reward brain pathways that are associated with addiction. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1920543/

They've found the same areas of the brain activated when an addict shoots up heroin are also activated in regular players of video games.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/radical-teaching/201110/neuroscience-insights-video-game-drug-addiction

Most everyone has addictions, and most addicted tend to dismiss their addictions entirely, but dismissing it on a public forum is encouraging others to do the same. Just be careful about what kind of world you're encouraging when you do this sort of thing. Sure not everyone that plays video games becomes addicted to them, but the vast majority do, and to say otherwise is denial.

6 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Video games directly benefit from getting you to play hence all progression systems, character building etc, game designers jobs is to make it as fun and addictive as possible to make sure the game succeeds, nuff said, negative/zero-sum reward activity, clearly not getting through into your head, not everything has a game designer making something on purposely "fun" or "addictive". You need to do some research between video games and rat tendencies, for example pulling a lever for reward causes addiction, research it.

Self-discipline, nuff said. Just because something is designed to be addictive doesn't mean it will be. For something to become addictive you must indulge in it enough to develop. I used to study a lot about addictive game design because I program games myself. I enjoy creating more than I do playing.

10 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Vital to experiencing life, not just going through the motions, vital to being, vital to appreciation of existence.

Very loaded words with a lot of hidden meaning you'd have to break down. Won't bother here.

10 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Leo talks about life purpose in his life purpose course, he basically says there is no purpose in life and you need to create it for yourself. Correct you are right there. But, Leo also says Life Purpose is second to Enlightenment (which is consciousness).

If enlightenment is the path you pursue.

12 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

We can boil down this argument to the simplest form:

In otherwords you're basically saying, "theres nothing wrong with drinking soda once in a while, in moderation."

I'm saying "don't drink the fucking soda. Drink spring water. You won't spike your blood sugar levels with artificial shit and you'll be more optimal."

You're concerned about efficiency, and thats fine. Thats a goal related point.

Moderation is also a very goal oriented word. I'd call it usage of something in which it doesn't conflict with your goals and/or priorities.

3 minutes ago, Elysian said:

The bits about improving certain things like hand eye coordination is just addict explaining away addiction. The negative aspects of video games outweigh any possible positive side effects.

Probably because you got addicted to them. Remember these are all potential pros and cons. Doesn't guarantee either will happen to you.

4 minutes ago, Elysian said:

But think about how useless that skill was, I literally got nothing out of it. Imagine what you could do with the thousands upon thousands of hours most gamers have spent playing games in their lifetime. Becoming a master of multiple fields of study you say? 

You can also derive thousands of hours of bonding time with others. This ends up a priority/goal issue. If you grinded away on League all by yourself then you surely missed a huge part of the gaming experience.

8 minutes ago, Elysian said:

Sure not everyone that plays video games becomes addicted to them, but the vast majority do, and to say otherwise is denial.

I think thats a generalization on your part to back your point. Over 50% of gamers in the entire world are addicted? Lets see a study on that.

18 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Self-discipline, nuff said. Just because something is designed to be addictive doesn't mean it will be. For something to become addictive you must indulge in it enough to develop. I used to study a lot about addictive game design because I program games myself. I enjoy creating more than I do playing.

Oh you're creating games are you, or your future career lies upon it. Totally makes sense now, defending your self interests. selfish nuff said.

Not being bad but all these battle royales, and league of legends and twitch etc would come out defending their games and websites even if people died through sheer addiction, self interest again, nuff said.

Self disicipline, agreed, if you haveself discipline then people wouldn't waste any time giving their money and time to these energy/time leeches, nuff said.

Honestly you admitted something fundemental here, it would be like arguing with a murderer who keeps sprouting nonsense about how the victim deserved it, my point is your too much self interested to admit anything.

YO all you drug addicts who are having a hard time quitting, and smokers, you all ain't got enough self-disciple, not at all compulsive behavior triggered by the said products, wow we're really denying all addictions here ain't we.

One day when science does more work gaming will be known as bad as smoking is now. Smoking wasn't known for being bad initially it was a good thing, a relaxer, a destresser, and the smoking companies paid a lot of money to keep that up, the same way coco cola paid doctors to show coke in a good light lol.

Edited by alankrillin

Just now, alankrillin said:

Oh you're creating games are you, or your future career lies upon it. Totally makes sense now, defending your self interests. selfish nuff said.

Not really. My knowledge is all around comp sci so as long as computers/programming is around its not a problem. I do freelance work for anything programming related. Obviously there was bound to be a point for me to want to explore how games work.

3 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Not being bad but all these battle royales, and league of legends and twitch etc would come out defending their games and websites even if people died through sheer addiction, self interest again, nuff said.

Self disiciple agreed, if you had self disciple wouldn't waste your any time giving your money and time to these energy leeches, nuff said.

I don't like greedy companies either.

And that depends what your self discipline is geared towards.

5 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

Honestly you admitted something fundemental here, it would be like arguing with a murderer who keeps sprouting nonsense about the victim deserved it, my point is your too much self interest to admit anything.

Feel free to assume that about me. Video games can fall off the face of the Earth and I wouldn't have a single worry about my career. I'm not so naive to focus on only one part of programming. Creating games is fun for me because it helps me work with my imagination. Everything I have made has either been 100% free or for teaching use.

6 minutes ago, alankrillin said:

YO all your drug addicts who are having a hard time quitting, and smokers, you all ain't got self-disciple, not at all compulsion behavior triggered by the said products, wow we're really denying all addictions here ain't we.

Aight this kind of strawmanning is where I am out of here. I said for addiction to form, not after it forms.

Good discussion, 

6 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Not really. My knowledge is all around comp sci so as long as computers/programming is around its not a problem. I do freelance work for anything programming related. Obviously there was bound to be a point for me to want to explore how games work.

I don't like greedy companies either.

And that depends what your self discipline is geared towards.

Feel free to assume that about me. Video games can fall off the face of the Earth and I wouldn't have a single worry about my career. I'm not so naive to focus on only one part of programming. Creating games is fun for me because it helps me work with my imagination. Everything I have made has either been 100% free or for teaching use.

Aight this kind of strawmanning is where I am out of here. I said for addiction to form, not after it forms.

Good discussion, 

But addiction forms from repeated behavior, neurons that fire together wire together, the more you do something the more ingrained it becomes.
It is known that neurons take paths that they once took before. It's a subconcious thing.

On a side note I'm not directing everything at you, I'm directing it at the general gamers community. The directed at you parts i've obviously specified and is obvious.

Edited by alankrillin

Some of you missed the point of my post, almost as if you didn't read anything of what I said.

I agree that micro transaction-riddled multiplayer games designed to keep you enslaved are mostly a waste.

What I am saying is, there are really good artistic games made with soul and care, like a fine painting or a good book. And we must all learn to differentiate between the two.

Saying all video games are bad is like saying psychedelics are "bad cuz they are drugs and drugs kill you or make you dumb"

Edited by Mafortu

53 minutes ago, Mafortu said:

Some of you missed the point of my post, almost as if you didn't read anything of what I said.

I agree that micro transaction-riddled multiplayer games designed to keep you enslaved are mostly a waste.

What I am saying is, there are really good artistic games made with soul and care, like a fine painting or a good book. And we must all learn to differentiate between the two.

Saying all video games are bad is like saying psychedelics are "bad cuz they are drugs and drugs kill you or make you dumb"

What do you want us to say? pat you on the back and confirm that gaming is good for you?

It is not like a painting at all, people need to stop comparing it to art, it's some bullshit some gamer made up to make "gaming" sound arty and sophisticated lol, a painting doesn't take more than 5 mins of your time, if that, and is decorational. Might as well compare video games to souvenirs and statues too.

Movies are BS too, it's very rare after watching a movie to say wow that movie was mind blowing, 90% of movies are riff-raff, unless of course you luckily only watch the best movies every year.

Books are actually not very addictive and somewhat hard to read, but I'd skip all fictional waste of time books as well, there's so much non-fiction books that will actually help me grow I don't think I'll read another game of thrones book ever again.

Dont care for psychedelics, they are actually very difficult, I get so sick on them, they're not the best for "fun" or "recreational" stuff.

Leo's mentioned it before, everything that is difficult and emotionally hard to do = growth, if you're having fun and it's "easy life" you're probably not growing.

Just look at the content Leo creates, why would he recommend video games, he's obviously going to call out the BS stuff in society that keeps people from growing his content is about growth, ACTUALIZING.

So again why are you asking this question on a Self-Help website, it makes so sense. Go to reddit/gaming and you can high five with everyone there they will think you're legit and know your stuff.

Edited by alankrillin

On 1.11.2018 at 8:59 AM, now is forever said:

@universe telling yourself that it’s possible to be enlightened and to play video games at the same time, and telling that to others is a trick of your ego not wanting to give up your favorite addiction, telling other addictees it is ok to have a fix in a while. 

Im only going by things others have said about enlightenment. Otherwise please refer to my distinction between enlightenment work and personal development work.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@bejapuskas An enlightened person is not limited by any rules. He/she can enjoy all the comforts of life, including marriage.