Christer

Book about language.

8 posts in this topic

Hi.

Anyone who can recommend a book about language? It's origin and how language can exist at all.

In a way where it is beneficial for understanding and awakening.

Have a great day!

Hey I like a definitive guide on body language by alan and barbara pease. It doesn't mention awakening at all but I still highly recommend it. It is structured well and doesn't overhelm you with too much information at once but is still very detailed.

Edited by Aimblack

I will help to explain my understanding of this topic. 

First Of All, 

Human being communicate 75% through body language, 17 % through tonality of your voice and the rest are the words. You should also search for origins of body language. 

For your question, we will focus on language. 

I think, It must have been like this. ( just giving my own insight ) 

Human being can make a limited variation of sounds, I think they are called phonemes and morphemes. 

( Try and make different sounds with your mouth, see how many you can make ) 

Now, something like this must have happened. 

Some dude got the idea of making a language. I belief there must be already some specific sound association to some objects like sun, moon or maybe painting. Someone must have got the insight, if there exist some sound association to painting, then there can be short painting ( alphabets ) and the we can associated combination of those alphabets or sound association ( words ). Example - Sun is the combination of sound SA UN.

Then, you form bunch of sound association to some short symbols and assign their combination with various objects. 

I guess this is how it must have started then Grammer came into action from this. 

Guys, this is exactly what I am looking for! 

I checked the book and read about it, it`s content, and this is what I am looking for. This will remove words more from my mind, which is what I want. Less words means more "seing", and being there observing.  

Mohdanas, this is really exciting. This world of content is super facinating! What the hell was there first, and where did the human imagination really take over. Your insight and experiment is well valued. Do you have a book on your shelf you can reccommend? 

And thank you both :-)

Edited by Christer

@Christer 

-You can try the Language Instinct by steven Pinker.  Havent read it, but i read How the Mind Works by him, and that was good.
-You can search amazon books for "semiotics". haven't read any of them, but they are on my to-do list.
-You might also enjoy researching the topic of the so-called 'secret language of the dakini': the language whose words do not represent things, but are things.   (the idea that meaning is inherently conveyed by sound, form etc).
-you might enjoy reading this post about the underlying structure of language.

On 26.10.2018 at 9:25 PM, Christer said:

Hi.

Anyone who can recommend a book about language? It's origin and how language can exist at all.

In a way where it is beneficial for understanding and awakening.

Have a great day!

Language came to be in today's society and era, a tool to get people into a dormant state. Language will not help you awaken. 

From recent archeology, the oldest written forms are dated 5500BC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tărtăria_tablets long before any other civilization.  

So maybe the new oldest language from which Latin came, is the archaic form of today's Romanian language. The pantheon of gods and cosmology from which egyptian, greek, roman civilizations, borrowed from the Carpathian mountains. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

The study of language I think is called Philology. Love of Logic. Skip to the end for a short suggestion.

----------------------------

Looking a bit at the History of Philosophy, my own understanding, is that after Bertrand Russel & analytical philosophy failed with attempts to construct necessarily true propositions in language, modelled on some of Leibniz's work, although Bertrand Russel is also scathing of criticism of him for justifying the oppression of Prussian peasants(The Best of all possible Worlds), and the idea of a table with multiple souls.

For instance the statement, "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." Did he actually eat his liver, as in his organ, Or his liver as in given food.

Logical Positivism (Empiricists/Synths). There is no Analytic- Synthetic distinction. Its all empiricism(synthetic/tabula rasa). Universality exists as a potentiality. People are good because they are good, or bad because... bad. Any phenomena of freewill is the result of emergentism, as heat is the result of friction. The issue I see with it is while the propositions maybe largely true, it can lead to a rationalism where things maybe true, but not integrated. Things can not exist in the same space at the same time. Metaphysics is pointless or mute. Or worse an attempt by the weak, to undermine the strong, as part of a Nietzschean Will to Power.

Why be good? A prominent contemporary example on Youtube would be Stefan Molyneux.

Analytical Philosophy. Being is what is actual. Any attempts to articulate it in language is futile, or at least has failed so far. The Bad or Evil is a deprivation of the good, which is God. (Thomas Aquinas) There are however numerous ways of articulating being, so, I'm kind of uncertain here.

People may still be empiricists however, unconsciously so, 1984, Spinoza's The Ethics or The Book of Not Knowing (referred indirectly to as, expedient).

Psychologically I tend towards the analytical than the synthetic. Although would like to align myself more with the synthetic, or positive psychology as a way of being, or perhaps functioning.

Science. (To know) Based on certainty, and hypothesis, that maybe falsifiable or wrong.

Philosophy is not based on language. Which is expressed as a dualism in language. Language is also largely related to power plays. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be better learned, not more learned. - Montaigne

Shakespeare I guess if you want to play around. Derrida(haven't read) probably good, for smashing things up, continuing Nietzsche's work. Jung is good for symbolism. Aristotle, can be useful with his conception of catharsis.