Ampresus

Your favourite teen needs book recommendations

13 posts in this topic

Alright I don't know for sure if I am the favourite teen, but I think I did a good job with the title. I need book recommendations. There has been a change of plans. Instead of always buying every book on my booklist, I will try to lend as much as possible from the library. I looked up many books and it turns out that most of them are available there. Here is what I already have read:
''Mastery'' by George Leonards
''The Six-Pillars of Self-Esteem'' by Nathaniel Branden
''The 7 habits of Highly Effective Teens'' by Sean Covey
''The Element'' by Ken Robinson (terrible book)

Here is what I already have ordered, but still need to read:
''Iron John'' by Robert Bly
''No More Mr. Nice Guy'' by Robert A. Glover 

Keep in mind that I am 14 years old. So don't expect me to read books from Abraham Maslow. ''The Six-Pillars of Self-Esteem'' was hard enough. I think I'll read Maslows books later in my life. Right now I need good books about spirituality, religion, psychedelics, psychology or philosopy. The last 2 categories are the most important for me. Any books which can benefit me because of my early interest in these categories will be highly wanted. Take care.

Scribd is really ace for books. Quite Cheap at $8.99 per month, audio is really useful as I get distracted too easily. Very nearly finished listening to "Mastery" thought it was ok, was put off by him talking about social justice at one point, but I think what he says is generally correct, but not revelatory. Although he referenced Jung, and being a marine flight instructor and martial artists, gives him in my opinion, a lot of credit. Problem with me is I often see/hear the words, but they mean nothing to me. With a three hour book can't go into much detail, unless it is very specific.

I thought "The Book of Not Knowing" was good (a book I would listen to again), Genius of Being is also a good book to listen to.

The focus on positive psychology is probably good for productivity at least, maybe reread ''The Six-Pillars of Self-Esteem'' (I haven't read that for years).

no need to avoid maslow. he's one of the most foundational thinkers in personal development 

15 hours ago, thehero said:

no need to avoid maslow. he's one of the most foundational thinkers in personal development 

I only say that because I think his books contain just as difficult sentences as ''The Six-Pillars of Self-Esteem''

14 hours ago, Soulbass said:

At your age, I was reading books in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

I only just started reading. Because of Actualized.org I bought books. Without it, I would probably be playing games right now. 

The book of not knowing is a big thing to get through, not really easy. Very important but not easy.

"Our inner ape" is a fun read.

"Psycho-Cybernetics" is great if you want more practical stuff.

"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius is a great philosophical one. easier than the book of not knowing.

Watch this video

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you are mastering the stages of the spiral.

Beige, Purple, and Red.   DO NOT make the mistake of getting lost in books. I remember when I was your age vividly. I am 16 now. A VITALLY IMPORTANT thing to grasp is that the rabbit hole goes so fucking deep. (As in, things have a lot me to do them then how they appear). 

Your 14, your sex drive will begin, already has begun to kick. So I highly suggest if you do not want to waste time in emotional hang-ups over girls, DEVELOP A HEALTHY BEIGE, ESPECIALLY PURPLE, AND RED.

I’d recommend choosing books that align with what your focus is at this point. Don’t try to read books because people tell you they are important. That’s what I did at 16 years old but it was hard to keep the habit of reading because my mind was concerned with other things

Pick something you are genuinely interested in, you won’t need to have a specific reading habit, reading just authentically happens.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

23 hours ago, Lorcan said:

Your 14, your sex drive will begin, already has begun to kick. So I highly suggest if you do not want to waste time in emotional hang-ups over girls, DEVELOP A HEALTHY BEIGE, ESPECIALLY PURPLE, AND RED.

@LorcanYou are right about the first bit. Just when things started going good, my sex drive started. I thought it already had started, guess I was wrong. Next book I'll buy is ''Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change''. 

Edited by Ampresus

2 hours ago, Max_V said:

I’d recommend choosing books that align with what your focus is at this point. Don’t try to read books because people tell you they are important. That’s what I did at 16 years old but it was hard to keep the habit of reading because my mind was concerned with other things

Pick something you are genuinely interested in, you won’t need to have a specific reading habit, reading just authentically happens.

@Max_V In some way I can understand your view. It's just that since Leo talked about all the subfields of self-help, I am so interested in all of them. I mean I want to find my life purpose, become a master in politics, learn more about religion, go in depth in spirituality, become good with girls and relationships, learn about psychedelics, read biographies from people I look up to and from dictators. When I made my booklist and I got to choose the categories, I already got so excited. I have decided that right now I will focus on simple things and work my way up from there. That means books on philosopy, psychology, dating & relationships, masculinity and femininity.

@Ampresus Sure all of em are interesting!

But I’d say, pick one area and focus on it until you are satisfied. I tried the 100 fields at the same time approach and it did not work for me. Try what works best for you ;) 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

1 hour ago, Ampresus said:

@LorcanYou are right about the first bit. Just when things started going good, my sex drive started. I thought it already had started, guess I was wrong. Next book I'll buy is ''Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change''. 

Watch TJ reeves video I sent you, he will explain Beige, Purple, Red, make sure you are doing well and those and you should be fine.

@Ampresus +1 on "read, what interests you right now".

If you want a book on dating, you could try Mark Manson. https://markmanson.net/books I haven't read "Models", but my male friends appreciate it. I've read "The subtle art of not giving a fuck", and liked it a lot, it's a good guide to forming values.